gun & ammo stolen from school workers car in Dayton

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

gun & ammo stolen from school workers car in Dayton

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/report- ... TLWn3XV3K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Underlining and emphasis is mine
DAYTON — A loaded gun and numerous rounds of ammunition and other items were stolen from a school worker’s unlocked vehicle at Dayton Boys Preparatory Academy Friday morning, a Dayton police report showed.

Officers responded around 11 a.m. to Dayton Boys Preparatory Academy on West Third Street.
Article doesn't mention if the gun was secured in some internal way.
The location of the school is in an area that used to be (maybe it still is? ) a very dangerous high crime area.
The worker told dispatchers his Army book bag with a laptop in it and $800 cash was taken from the vehicle. A Dayton police report showed a gun loaded with .224 blue tip rounds and 50 rounds of ammo also were taken.

The district’s policy on weapons says: “Unless otherwise permitted by law, staff members are not permitted to bring a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone."
The thief was described as a juvenile male, between 5 feet 6 and 5 feet 8 inches tall, wearing khaki pants and a black and white Nike hooded jacket, according to emergency dispatch traffic.
Brian D.

Re: gun & ammo stolen from school workers car in Dayton

Post by Brian D. »

Specifics on the colors of the suspect's clothes, but not ethnicity? Not that it matters to me, might make him easier to catch though.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

The district’s policy on weapons says: “Unless otherwise permitted by law, staff members are not permitted to bring a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone."

Help me out here. There was a law passed that employers could not post their parking lots preventing employees from locking their firearms in their cars while at work. Wouldn't this apply to school personnel also? I guess the school could argue that the school employee was in violation since he didn't lock his car.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Guess we will have to wait and see.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:The district’s policy on weapons says: “Unless otherwise permitted by law, staff members are not permitted to bring a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone."

Help me out here. There was a law passed that employers could not post their parking lots preventing employees from locking their firearms in their cars while at work. Wouldn't this apply to school personnel also? I guess the school could argue that the school employee was in violation since he didn't lock his car.
There are two laws at play here. The first is the general prohibition against having a firearm in a school safety zone. The exemption there is for persons with a CHL who leave the firearm in the vehicle and lock the vehicle if they exit. The second law is the parking lot law, which only protects you if the firearm is locked in the trunk or locked in a container inside the vehicle. So for this person to be legal, he has to have a CHL, the vehicle must be locked, and if the firearm is not locked in the trunk then it must be locked in a compartment inside the locked vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I thought the only exception to a school safety zone was CHL passing on the street or on school property in the act of picking up a child so long as you never leave your vehicle. Do you have a statute citation for those exceptions?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

catfish86 wrote:I thought the only exception to a school safety zone was CHL passing on the street or on school property in the act of picking up a child so long as you never leave your vehicle. Do you have a statute citation for those exceptions?
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.122v1

SB 199 was passed in Dec 2016 and took effect in March 2017.