2 dead in Kroger shooting in Kentucky

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

2 dead in Kroger shooting in Kentucky

Post by WayneB »

JEFFERSONTOWN, Ky.— Two people were shot and killed at a Kroger store in Jeffersontown, Kentucky, the police chief said Wednesday.

The suspect is in custody, according to Chief Sam Rogers. There was no known motive and it appears the victims were shot at random, he said.
https://fox8.com/2018/10/24/multiple-pe ... ery-store/
M-Quigley

Re: 2 dead in Kroger shooting in Kentucky

Post by M-Quigley »

The person who sent me this link tried to imply that the woman victim in the parking lot was somehow the fault of the citizen for shooting at the murderer, implying that even if the citizen didn't hit the woman, the killer wouldn't have accidentally hit the woman if someone hadn't been shooting at him. :roll:
The link however is contradictory as to when the woman in the parking lot actually got shot.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/39352001/mult ... own-kroger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WDRB's Valerie Chinn was at the scene and saw the body of at least one victim in the parking lot. An EMT told her that he was shopping at the store when he saw two people shooting at each other. An elderly woman was caught in the crossfire. He said he tried to do CPR, but the woman died.
OTOH
Rogers said a man walked into the Kroger and fired multiple shots at another man in the store. That man died at the scene.

The suspect left the store and shot and killed a woman in the parking lot before what Rogers said was an armed citizen pulled out a weapon and exchanged fire with him. Neither the suspect or the citizen were injured in that exchange.

The suspect made it to his car and onto Hurstbourne Parkway. Rogers said he was taken in to custody not far from the Kroger.
The armed citizen might've been receiving fire prior to the citizen returning fire. Regardless, the fault lies with the killer, not the armed citizen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

When the woman in the parking lot was shot is totally irrelevant.

Who shot the woman most certainly is relevant. The shooter is culpable no matter whose bullet actually killed her. The culpability of the armed citizen cannot be established without a thorough analysis of the incident. We don't have enough info for that at this time.

The most relevant fact so far is that the shooting stopped as soon as a good guy with a gun returned fire.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WestonDon wrote:When the woman in the parking lot was shot is totally irrelevant.
I wouldn't say "totally". If for example the woman was shot before the good guy pulled his gun and fired back, it's more likely the good guys bullets didn't kill her. The article of course didn't say whether the woman was behind the killer or the good guy, although the police know. Of course a forensic scene analysis and video examination needs to be done to really detirmine this, not merely the alleged statement of a witness from a news source who probably could care less if they get the quote correctly or not.
WestonDon wrote:Who shot the woman most certainly is relevant. The shooter is culpable no matter whose bullet actually killed her. The culpability of the armed citizen cannot be established without a thorough analysis of the incident. We don't have enough info for that at this time.

The most relevant fact so far is that the shooting stopped as soon as a good guy with a gun returned fire.
I don't think the person who said this was talking about who is culpable legally or not, more like bearing some moral responsibility, ie if the good guy wasn't shooting at the killer the killer wouldn't have shot back and the woman would never have gotten shot. The person made the assumption, possibly false, that the killer went into the Kroger to kill one specific person, and would've left without killing anyone else had the good guy not interfered or was "trying to play cop"(her words not mine) This is also assuming the good guy fired first, and the killer was reacting to that. This so called logic doesn't stop with the police either, as she's said in the past that police are morally responsible if the chase fleeing suspects and there is a car crash where innocent people get hurt. (if A hadn't have occurred then B would never have happened) I don't share that line of reasoning. I think the responsibility, moral or otherwise, lies with the criminal, period.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Additional info link:

https://www.wflx.com/2018/10/24/least-d ... ky-kroger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kroger shooting in Kentucky: Witness interaction with killer suggests race prompted attack
Jeffersontown Police Chief Sam Rogers said late Wednesday afternoon that a man walked into the busy Kroger location at 9080 Taylorsville Road, near the corner of Hurstbourne Parkway, and fired multiple shots at a man.

The shooter then walked outside and fired more shots at a woman. Both of those victims died at the scene, Rogers said.

Moments after the killer shot the woman in the parking lot, the suspect then encountered another man who had a gun. They fired shots at each other but missed. One witness told WAVE 3 News that the shooter at one point said “whites don’t kill whites.”

Multiple sources have confirmed to WAVE 3 News that both victims were black. They have not been officially identified.
Gregory Alan Bush, a white man who is 51-years-old, is charged with two counts of murder and 10 counts of felony wanton endangerment.
And by the way, in one of the videos, the police chief specifically says the killer shot the woman first, then the armed citizen engaged the killer. He also said no one was injured by that gunfire, either from the citizen or the killer.

There's a picture of the suspect, he's definitely got an angry crazy eyes look. Based on this new information it sounds like there is a good possibly that the good guy is a hero and interfered with a mass shooting. I'm going to send her this link and see what she says about this.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

LOUISVILLE, Ky (WDRB) –The man charged with shooting and killing two people at a suburban Louisville Kroger on Wednesday has a history of mental illness, made racist threats and repeatedly called his ex-wife the N-word, according to court records.
There's the lead, a racist in Kentucky commits crime!

More relevantly...
Rogers said police were investigating whether Bush was legally permitted to carry firearms. But on several occasions, court records show, judges ordered Bush's guns taken from him, and a domestic violence conviction in 2009 prevents him from legally owning a firearm.

In fact, Bush's contact with the legal system stretches back to at least the 1990s and includes a string of criminal, traffic and domestic violence cases. Bush's parents told police they were "terrified" of their son, whom they said assaulted and held them against their will.

At least twice, records show, Bush was hospitalized over concerns for his mental health, including once after a suicide attempt in 2000. His former wife later claimed he had been diagnosed as "paranoid" and given medication that he stopped taking.
...he was the dreaded "prohibited person" (*GASP*)! Poster child for ERPOs, Mental health databases, NICS etc. Don't be surprised if the NRA holds this guy up as a reason to push for all the nonsense they've supported over the years to suspend RKBA.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

He has a long history of mental illness, his own parents were terrified of him. Repeated protection orders, including "No Guns!" and take your meds. The problem with unstable people and orders is you usually have to make them do it.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update with timeline:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/deadly- ... 8fX6WVc9N/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2:54 p.m.: The shooting was reported. Police said Stallard was shopping with his grandson when Bush walked into the store and shot him in the back of the head. Bush then shot Stallard again several times as he lay on the ground, police said.

Bush put his gun away and walked out, police said, noting he pulled out his gun again in the parking lot and shot Jones several times.

According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, a man in the parking lot waiting for his wife, who was shopping inside, heard the gunfire and grabbed his revolver. That man, Ed Harrell, told the newspaper he asked the gunman what was going on. Harrell, according to the newspaper, said the gunman replied, "don't shoot me. I won't shoot you. Whites don't shoot whites."

Investigators said Bush then exchanged gunfire with another citizen before getting away. Neither was hit by the gunfire, police said.
Jeffersontown's police chief said this week that the person who exchanged gunfire with Bush would not be charged.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update: concealed carrier speaks out about the incident. Even though he didn't hit the suspect, he didn't hit any innocent people, and it appears the exchange of gunfire changed the suspects mind about staying there and killing anyone else.

https://www.whio.com/news/national/man- ... UBR0H0JqM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Kentucky man says he was protecting his family when he confronted the man charged in the Louisville-area Kroger shooting.
The Roziers are black as well, and Dominiic Rozier is a concealed carry permit holder.

Kiera Rozier says they heard gunfire and were warned to get away when Bush suddenly walked out, "kind of grinned" and killed a woman.

Dominiic Rozier then exchanged gunfire with Bush. Nobody was injured by those bullets, and police quickly captured Bush as he fled the scene.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Of course, not too much attention is being paid to the aspect that concealed carry folks prevented likely further loss of life. Especially that an armed minority was able to defend his family against a racist man on a rampage. In my signature I say gun control is racist. Read up on Otis McDonald, the plaintiff in McDonald v Chicago, who made the point that gun control was a cornerstone of Jim Crow since armed people are not so easily oppressed.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.