Tenn Governor Candidates on Gun Control

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tenn Governor Candidates on Gun Control

Post by bignflnut »

"I know most Tennesseans support the Second Amendment. I support the Second Amendment, too. I'm not trying to take anybody's guns away," said Dean, a former Nashville mayor and before that Davidson County's longtime public defender.

But drawing a contrast with Republican rival Bill Lee, who backs permitless carry, Dean said during an early voting swing through Chattanooga that "if everybody can carry a weapon, how can there be any control?"

Lee, meanwhile, sought to clarify his position on the issue, telling reporters after a rural West Tennessee event in Paris that, "I've said we ought to take away the fees for permits. I don't think we ought to have to pay a fee for what is a constitutional right.

"If the Legislature brought a bill to me for permitless carry I've have said I would sign it," Lee added.

SNIP

The "constitutional carry" legislation is one of several firearms issues where Dean and Lee differ in their Nov. 6 contest that Lee now leads, according to a number of polls.

For example, Lee favors allowing willing, properly trained educators to go armed in the state's public schools. Noting banks and governors have security staff, Lee says on his website that "we leave our children defenseless in gun-free zones. We should absolutely allow a qualified and vetted teacher to make the choice to be a part of the solution."

Dean opposes that, saying safety should be provided by specially trained school resource officers or retired law enforcement officers to protect against rampages like last February's shootings at a Parkland Fla., high school that killed 17 students and others.

Asked where the money would come from, Dean said, "If it represents an expenditure by the state, it's an expenditure that's worth paying."

Lee also supports allowing college students to go armed on campus. Dean says, "it's just the wrong position."
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Tenn Governor Candidates on Gun Control

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:
"I know most Tennesseans support the Second Amendment. I support the Second Amendment, too. I'm not trying to take anybody's guns away," said Dean, a former Nashville mayor and before that Davidson County's longtime public defender.

But drawing a contrast with Republican rival Bill Lee, who backs permitless carry, Dean said during an early voting swing through Chattanooga that "if everybody can carry a weapon, how can there be any control?"

Lee, meanwhile, sought to clarify his position on the issue, telling reporters after a rural West Tennessee event in Paris that, "I've said we ought to take away the fees for permits. I don't think we ought to have to pay a fee for what is a constitutional right.

"If the Legislature brought a bill to me for permitless carry I've have said I would sign it," Lee added.

SNIP

The "constitutional carry" legislation is one of several firearms issues where Dean and Lee differ in their Nov. 6 contest that Lee now leads, according to a number of polls.

For example, Lee favors allowing willing, properly trained educators to go armed in the state's public schools. Noting banks and governors have security staff, Lee says on his website that "we leave our children defenseless in gun-free zones. We should absolutely allow a qualified and vetted teacher to make the choice to be a part of the solution."

Dean opposes that, saying safety should be provided by specially trained school resource officers or retired law enforcement officers to protect against rampages like last February's shootings at a Parkland Fla., high school that killed 17 students and others.

Asked where the money would come from, Dean said, "If it represents an expenditure by the state, it's an expenditure that's worth paying."

Lee also supports allowing college students to go armed on campus. Dean says, "it's just the wrong position."
EXACTLY!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member