City employee fired for gun in car, sues for RKBA

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

City employee fired for gun in car, sues for RKBA

Post by bignflnut »

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) -- A former Portsmouth employee has filed a lawsuit against the city, claiming they violated his Second Amendment rights.

The lawsuit says Reginald McManes, 57, had worked for the city over 30 years before he was allegedly forced to resign over an unloaded handgun he kept locked in his truck.

McManes says he was on his break at the Royal Farms gas station on May 2 when he was first approached by a city official about having a gun at the workplace.

He says this all happened despite the fact that he had a valid concealed weapon carry permit.

SNIP

Virginia code allows for employees of municipalities, like McManes, to store lawfully possessed guns in locked private cars at the workplace and forbids the city from preventing that.
Here's to Mr. McManes! I hope he is satisfied by the eventual outcome as he attempts to fight this injustice.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
djthomas

Re: City employee fired for gun in car, sues for RKBA

Post by djthomas »

Indeed. However as a professional cynic I've got to believe there's more to the story. He was approached by a city official about having a gun in the vehicle. Well how did they come to suspect that? Some random person called HR and said he had a gun at work.

OK ... but, how did the caller know? Did the gentleman perhaps make some co-workers uncomfortable by engaging in a conversation that ended with "yeah, well, that's why I've got my gun in my truck right now!" Did somebody feel threatened? May not be able to fire someone for having a gun in their car per se but you can fire them for creating a hostile work environment (the definition of which is conveniently very elastic).

Who knows? Legally protected behavior or not, Tweed's rules vis a vis firearms at work is sound advice in just about every situation.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

AS a 30 (thirty) year employee he wasn't smart enough to tell whoever, to go pound sand...I am sick and going home, NOW. Yet smart enough to file suit??

I agree something doesn't add up on that abacus. I'm skeptical. More details are needed.
Last edited by WhyNot on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Virginia's laws contain more RKBA power in them than ours do here, but I'm not sure they have statewide preemption of local regulations like we (in theory) enjoy in Ohio.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
stew47

Post by stew47 »

im a city employee for a municipality in Ohio. Our new handbook said firearms or ammo are prohibited in our vehicles. so I told our union rep that the new policy is against state law. city response was don't discuss firearms in vehicles while they investigate :(. they have been investigating for months.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

stew47 wrote:im a city employee for a municipality in Ohio. Our new handbook said firearms or ammo are prohibited in our vehicles. so I told our union rep that the new policy is against state law. city response was don't discuss firearms in vehicles while they investigate :(. they have been investigating for months.
City vehicles or your private vehicles?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
stew47

Post by stew47 »

private vehicles