K-9 bites jogger at Edgewater park

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

K-9 bites jogger at Edgewater park

Post by rickt »

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office K-9 officer bit a jogger Thursday morning in Cleveland's Edgewater Park, according to a man who witnessed the attack.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.s ... nty_s.html

Since I carry while jogging I can only imagine the trouble I would be in if I defended myself in a situation like this.
High Power

Re: K-9 bites jogger at Edgewater park

Post by High Power »

rickt wrote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office K-9 officer bit a jogger Thursday morning in Cleveland's Edgewater Park, according to a man who witnessed the attack.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.s ... nty_s.html

Since I carry while jogging I can only imagine the trouble I would be in if I defended myself in a situation like this.
I carry also but decided to add pepper spray to my EDC tools when I go out for a walk. The neighborhood that I live in has had some troublesome dogs attack pedestrians. Yet, none as far as I know, have submitted a complaint with the police department.

I like dogs and have owned a lot of them through the years. Everyone of them obeyed me without any problems. They knew what was going to happen to them if they failed to obey. When they did obey my commands they were rewarded.

With that said, I don't have a fear of dogs but don't like getting bit either. I pulled my revolver on a menacing boxer a few years ago and ordered the owner to get the dog under control. That's when the owner decided that conversing with the animal wasn't getting anywhere and exercised physical control.

I didn't want to shoot the dog but would if it lunged at me a 2nd time. After that, I decided to start carrying pepper spray.

There are those that argue that pepper spray is ineffective against dogs. One of the reasons is that it may be ineffective is when it's sprayed from a long distance the animal may not smell enough of it to be bothered by it. Nevertheless, with a nose 400 times more sensitive than a human's it may be enough to get the animal to turn away or remain at a safe distance.

A person using pepper spray has to wait until the dog gets close enough to get sprayed in the face like a human being. One blast to the face from five feet away will cause the dog a lot of discomfort. This sounds cruel but it's better than shooting an animal that might have a chance at rehabilitation. Given that I'm use to dogs, I can wait till I see the whites of the animal's eyes then blast it with the pepper spray.

I wonder what would have happened had the victim been carrying and shot the dog. I'll give you three guesses and the first one would be correct.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Friend of mine is retired LE, certified to train K-9 officers and their handlers for a bunch of years. He told me that there were always a few of the dogs that could just not ever be completely trusted not to chase people who were running, regardless of the context.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Friend of mine is retired LE, certified to train K-9 officers and their handlers for a bunch of years. He told me that there were always a few of the dogs that could just not ever be completely trusted not to chase people who were running, regardless of the context.
Then they should be retired from their LE service. Period.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My friend could and sometimes did refuse to certify such dogs. He said they'd just bring in another trainer, who would give them a passing score.

********************************************************************************
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I'm not Batman and don't have a utility belt.

It's enough weight and bulk just carrying a wallet, checkbook, keys, cell phone and gun.

Don't want your dog to get shot? Don't let it run loose in public, biting people.

My number one priority in such a situation is to not get bitten. Not shooting the dog is such a distant second that you'd need the Hubble Space Telescope to see it.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

deanimator wrote:I'm not Batman and don't have a utility belt.

It's enough weight and bulk just carrying a wallet, checkbook, keys, cell phone and gun.

Don't want your dog to get shot? Don't let it run loose in public, biting people.

My number one priority in such a situation is to not get bitten. Not shooting the dog is such a distant second that you'd need the Hubble Space Telescope to see it.
:shock: But it's not a dog! It's a police officer! :shock: /indignant sarcasm over
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Javelin Man wrote:

:shock: But it's not a dog! It's a police officer! :shock: /indignant sarcasm over
I would bet you get charged with something.
Black Rifles Matter
High Power

Post by High Power »

steves 50de wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:

I would bet you get charged with something.
I don't blame someone for protecting themselves and family with any tools available, even a firearm, from a dog attack.

What worries more than getting charged is what the gun-carrying-dog-handlers would do if they saw a firearm being drawn on the dog. How much do you want to bet the LEOs would be drawing their guns on a legitimate victim of a dog attack who is defending themselves with a gun?

Anyway, the victim in this story ought to be suing the Sheriff's Department for a lot of money and demanding that the dog be put down.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I remember a news article from some years ago when a father and his child were threatened by a loose K-9 while they were walking from their car to their home. He shot the dog and was charged with a crime. I believe this happened in the Mansfield area.
High Power

Post by High Power »

This story happened last month.
An Ohio police dog has been euthanized after it was hit by several bullets from an officer who was “forced to shoot.”

On Saturday, K9 officer Benzi was put down at a local vet. He was shot by his partner officer, Brian Carter. According to Columbus Ohio Police, Carter was “correcting Benzi’s behavior through verbal commands” when the dog turned on him. Benzi attacked Carter and started mauling his arm, reportedly leaving the officer only one option: to shoot the dog.

Following the attack, Carter was taken to Grant Hospital, where he received surgery on his arm. Benzi was taken to MedVet where he was “humanely euthanized.” Benzi was a three-and-a-half-year-old Belgian Malinois who had been with the police for two years.
Full story here: https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-officer-f ... im-1101882
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

High Power wrote:This story happened last month.
An Ohio police dog has been euthanized after it was hit by several bullets from an officer who was “forced to shoot.”

On Saturday, K9 officer Benzi was put down at a local vet. He was shot by his partner officer, Brian Carter. According to Columbus Ohio Police, Carter was “correcting Benzi’s behavior through verbal commands” when the dog turned on him. Benzi attacked Carter and started mauling his arm, reportedly leaving the officer only one option: to shoot the dog.

Following the attack, Carter was taken to Grant Hospital, where he received surgery on his arm. Benzi was taken to MedVet where he was “humanely euthanized.” Benzi was a three-and-a-half-year-old Belgian Malinois who had been with the police for two years.
Full story here: https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-officer-f ... im-1101882
That was an expensive incident for the department.

MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Carry bear spray.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You have a very good point. Adding pepper spray to my carry gear has pretty much forced me to wear cargo pants if it's not "jacket weather" outside. Now, I'm pondering whether to keep a tourniquet on my person as well.

It gets cumbersome, and makes me wonder if falling into the water somehow wouldn't be fatal.

Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Brian D. wrote:

You have a very good point. Adding pepper spray to my carry gear has pretty much forced me to wear cargo pants if it's not "jacket weather" outside. Now, I'm pondering whether to keep a tourniquet on my person as well.

It gets cumbersome, and makes me wonder if falling into the water somehow wouldn't be fatal.
Enter the fanny pack..
I'm only half kidding.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe