Burger joint with an armed guard?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Burger joint with an armed guard?

Post by AlanM »

What kind of neighborhood do you have to be in for a burger joint to have an armed security guard?

Security guard shoots man to death during attempted robbery at SW Houston Whataburger
Witnesses told Eyewitness News that a man with a white bandana entered the restaurant around 1 a.m., and immediately opened fire.

"I see a dude in a white bandana pull out a gun like it's a movie or something, and start shooting behind the counter," Green recalled.

The restaurant's security guard spotted the intruder and returned fire, shooting the man four times in his right leg.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Re: Burger joint with an armed guard?

Post by deanimator »

I'm CERTAIN I've seen them in Chicago... which sort of proves your point...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

There's a Taco Bell in Cleveland that doesn't need an armed guard as two robbers found out...
Three Taco Bell employees opened fire on two armed and masked robbers early Wednesday, killing one, police said.

The employees -- two 19-year-old men and a 23-year-old man -- shot one of the armed robbers six times about 2:45 p.m. inside the Taco Bell on West 117th Street in the city's Edgewater neighborhood.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.s ... yee_f.html
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Couple of years ago, Sherri and I went to Columbus to help Becka with her babysitting duties. Turned out that she had to have her tonsils removed before starting work at the Hospital (she's an RN).

Really messed her up....

She had been sitting for my nephew's two little girls, and somehow my nephew and his wife were off to parts unknown that weekend.

Becka wanted some french fires about 2300 Saturday night, so I got volunteered to go over to the Wendy's around the block. NBD until I go there and discovered that they'd give you a gun if you hadn't brought one with you....

I was very glad to get out of there, and I had a gun....

(A little Fake News here regarding the Wendy's supplying firearms, but it wouldn't have been out of place.)

Never went back there :D .

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If the place feels the need for a guard, I prefer an armed one.

It's definitely a big city, nighttime thing.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
High Power

Post by High Power »

The Steak & Shake on Hill Road, near the Marcus Theater in Pickerington had an police officer in the restaurant, when my friends and I ate there about a year ago.

There were a lot of "yutes" in the establishment. At first I thought the LEO was one of the customers but he was there to keep the peace. While we were there a few of the "yutes" decided to skip out without paying their bill.

The LEO didn't bother to give chase. There was no way he could have caught up with any of them anyway. He merely followed the "yutes" to their vehicle, got the make, model and license plate number. He radioed that information in to the dispatcher.

All this happened before my friend got in a conversation with the LEO. It was then that we learned that he was not a patron but was there for armed security. During the conversation with the LEO, we also learned that a police vehicle was dispatched to the residence where the suspect's car was registered. The registration was expired. The "yutes" were also there and charged with, I believe, a petty theft for not paying for their meal.

There were also some legal questions in my mind about being able to charge the "yutes" with petty theft without being identified by either the LEO or staff at the restaurant. I didn't ask but just took it what I was told at face value.

Anyway, we were told the biggest problem at that Steak & Shake was the "yutes" leaving without paying their bill. Apparently, the teenagers think it's pretty cool to order a nice meal then leave without paying for it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I miss all-night restaurants; there used to be several when we had three shift, seven day factories around. Now late night dine in eateries are few and far between. You're lucky if a fast food place can staff its drive thru window after midnight, much less keep the dining room open.

********************************************************************************
High Power

Post by High Power »

Brian D. wrote:I miss all-night restaurants; there used to be several when we had three shift, seven day factories around. Now late night dine in eateries are few and far between. You're lucky if a fast food place can staff its drive thru window after midnight, much less keep the dining room open.
Do you mean like this one? That was also back in the day when only the bad guys could carry guns before the CHL. This is Hollywood but some of it wasn't vary far from the way things were in real life.

Skip ahead to about 1:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9QibWGP80
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Back in the eighties the majority of my security work was at fast food joints, usually starting at 9pm or later, in the Dayton and Cincy area. The main reason I was there was robbery prevention, but also to keep people from selling their various goods and services (drugs, prostitution, etc) either inside or outside the restaurant. It was pretty uneventful most of the time, but there were occasional times when someone tried something, , even while I was there. (not successfully)

At one Burger King that I was assigned to, I got there about 3 minutes to 9 and there was 3 sheriff's cruisers in the lot. Someone was smart enough to rob the place at 8:40pm, although they didn't get as much as they would've at the end of the night. Eventually most of the businesses dropped having security, as it was more expensive to have an armed agency guard there than whatever they would've lost in a robbery, provided they made money drops on a regular basis, installed cameras, etc. Also most businesses don't want to risk a shooting at their restaurant, justified or not.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

High Power wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I miss all-night restaurants; there used to be several when we had three shift, seven day factories around. Now late night dine in eateries are few and far between. You're lucky if a fast food place can staff its drive thru window after midnight, much less keep the dining room open.
Do you mean like this one? That was also back in the day when only the bad guys could carry guns before the CHL. This is Hollywood but some of it wasn't vary far from the way things were in real life.

Couldn't have happened...that guy in the diner was Frank Cannon! :lol:

It's not like I've gone to the all night places much, except when doing a moonlighting job with weird hours, or maybe when road tripping. Just got to stay alert more than usual.

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

There are four within a half an hour of me, two in Lakewood, one in North Olmsted and one in Fairview Park.

When I was working for a crooked IT contractor at the Clinic, there was many a night of unpaid overtime after which I stopped at the White Castle on 117th between I-90 and Lorain. All the ones up here are closed now.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Brian D. wrote:
High Power wrote:

Couldn't have happened...that guy in the diner was Frank Cannon! :lol:

It's not like I've gone to the all night places much, except when doing a moonlighting job with weird hours, or maybe when road tripping. Just got to stay alert more than usual.
My Father told me that he was in an all-night establishment once when some bad guys tried to start a fight with him. That was right after he got home from WWII.

They were on one side of the table standing while he was on the other side, sitting down. He stopped the conversation almost immediately after it got started by reaching under the table like he was getting something out of his right pants pocket. Then he placed his hand (with nothing in it) under the table as if he were pointing a gun at them where they could not see it. They were not so inebriated that they couldn't take a hint and weren't going to see if my Father was bluffing. They left the place as fast as they came in.

I have always remembered that story and applied it a few times when I wasn't armed. I also got good grades for acting when I was in school. Sometimes, a good bluff with a mean looking face can go a long way.

On the other hand, I don't think I could bluff Frank Cannon (William Conrad). Trivia Note: William Conrad use to narrate the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

High Power wrote:On the other hand, I don't think I could bluff Frank Cannon (William Conrad). Trivia Note: William Conrad use to narrate the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show."
Conrad was also the voice of Marshal Matt Dillon on the "Gunsmoke" radio show. When it transitioned to television...well, come on, can you imagine "Cannon" getting on a horse? :lol:

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

After posting that silliness about the Columbus Wendy's, I reminded myself about a burger joint here that used to have a City PD Officer around on Friday and Saturday nights. Friends of mine.... They, and the "management" rather liked me and a buddy stopping by for coffee from time to time. I was rather large (still am), and the buddy I usually rode with was rather wrestler-shaped. My friends didn't even have to raise their voices while we were there :D .

The place was located on a corner lot, and had entrances on both streets. "Management" didn't want kids "cruising", which involved entering their property and then driving through the lot to the other street, coming out on to the "main" street, and then coming back into the burger joint's lot. SO, somebody arranged to have the side street posted "ONE WAY" Eastbound. If you came out of the burger place's lot and turned Left, you were going the wrong way on a one-way street. I don't think I ever saw it enforced, but the possibility was there. (Eastbound took you some distance away before you could work yourself back to the burger joint.)

I miss that :mrgreen: .

Wasn't much need for armed Security there, the only incident I ever saw was when a kid on a motorcycle managed to slip his clutch or something, and punch a small hole in the glass wall. He was very cooperative when he figured out that there were three witnesses with badges....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם