Dallas cop shoots man in wrong apartment

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: Dallas cop shoots man in wrong apartment

Post by deanimator »

I's starting:

https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/da ... by-officer
Dallas police face ire over portrayal of Botham Jean, man shot by officer
DALLAS (AP) — Attorneys for the family of Botham Jean, a black man, who was killed in his own apartment by a white police officer accused Dallas police of trying to sully the victim's reputation by releasing an affidavit saying they found marijuana at his apartment.
Is the story going to be that she justifiably shot him for having less than an ounce of marijuana... assuming that he really did?

Recall that Kathryn Johnston was a "drug dealer" and "attempted cop killer"... until the FBI revealed that the Atlanta PD shot each other, then planted drugs in her house to justify killing her after their search, based on a warrant obtained through perjury about an imaginary "informant", produced nothing...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah, I don't care if he had a full meth lab in the back bedroom. That woman needs to be tried for murder and put away for a long, long time.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Even if there was a meth lab, a 100lbs of cocaine and bodies in the freezer, she had no probable cause or reasonable reason to be in that apartment. Stupidity does not equate to reasonable.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
drc

Post by drc »

Posted today
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fired after an investigation determined she “engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for manslaughter” in the killing of her black neighbor, officials said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/da ... -jean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

drc wrote:Posted today
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fired after an investigation determined she “engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for manslaughter” in the killing of her black neighbor, officials said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/da ... -jean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Adverse conduct"?

"Adverse" to what or whom?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update: Charges upgraded to Murder. (the bolded and underlined part added by me)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 165572002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Responding to criticism that the original manslaughter charge was too lenient, Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson said the grand jury could decide on the more serious charge of murder, which it did.
With the murder charge, she faces up to life in prison if convicted. A manslaughter charge would have brought a sentence of up to 20 years.

Her attorney, Robert Rogers, said he was not surprised by the indictment, citing the political pressure surrounding the case and a wave of “vindictive emotion” targeting his client. He said Jean’s mother testified before the grand jury, which he described as highly unusual.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
drc wrote:Posted today
"Adverse conduct"?

"Adverse" to what or whom?
The link I posted above doesn't specify exactly what the adverse conduct was she allegedly did, but does say;
Guyger had been terminated from the force by Police Chief U. Renee Hall. An internal investigation revealed Guyger “engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for manslaughter’’ three days after the Sept. 6 shooting of Jean.

Police did not specify the nature of the "adverse conduct,'' but Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell later described it in a written response as “conduct which adversely affects the morale or efficiency of the Department or which has a tendency to adversely affect, lower, destroy public respect and confidence in the Department or officer.”
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Trial begins. DA seems like he's trying to tank it by ignoring the courts gag order.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... trial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Day one of former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger's murder trial for fatally shooting her unarmed neighbor Botham Jean in his own home more than a year ago was a test of patience for judge Tammy Kemp.

The veteran district court official lost her temper at least twice during Monday's proceedings, starting with the moment she found out Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot violated a gag order the night before the trial's start.

Creuzot was seen discussing the Guyger case with a local TV news crew with fox affiliate KDFW, explaining why his office had decided to charge Guyger with murder.

Guyger's defense attorneys informed Kemp of the situation ahead of the trial's start while motioning for the judge to declare a mistrial.

'Oh there was another interview last night?' Kemp asked.

'Yes your honor,' replied one of Guyger's attorneys, leaving Kemp momentarily speechless.

The judge rolled her eyes, shook her head, and grunted as she turned in her chair to face the back wall before standing up and hunching over.

After composing herself, she turned around to make sure she had heard the attorneys correctly.

'Let me be clear,' Kemp said, 'last night, the evening prior to the start of this trial, our elected DA did an interview about this trial?'
After Kemp dismissed the jury for the day, she told the prosecution, including Assistant District Attorney Jason Hermus to warn their boss, Creuzot, that the gag order issued on the court officials directly involved with Guyger's trial applied to him as well.
The Dallas Police Department led by Chief U. Renee Hall, who is black, took two weeks to fire Guyger despite charging her with manslaughter after Botham's death.

Following the backlash and a grand jury investigation, Guyger was charged with first-degree murder. The charge is punishable under Texas law with up to life in prison.

Guyger was fired after she received criminal charges.

Jurors must decide whether Guyger is guilty of murder, manslaughter, something else or nothing at all in the shooting case. The trial resumes Tuesday morning.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A Texas jury rejected former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger's self-defense claims and convicted her on Tuesday of murder in the fatal 2018 shooting of an innocent man eating ice cream in his own home after mistaking his apartment for her own.

The 12-member jury reached its verdict deliberating for less than two days. Guyger stood and stared at the panel as Dallas County District Court Judge Tammy Kemp read the guilty verdict.

The family members of Botham Jean, the neighbor Guyger shot to death on Sept. 6, 2018, burst into tears as the jury granted them a measure of justice.

The 31-year-old Guyger, who was fired from the Dallas Police Department days after the shooting, faces a prison sentence of five to 99 years.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

One thing that I noticed was that the jury was allowed to consider the "controversial Castle Doctrine"...OK, shooting someone breaking into your home is controversial? OK let that sink in.

As to this case, I am sure the jury looked at that, concluded it only applied to HER home, not someone else's home. We get drunks, druggies and vagrants going in the wrong homes all the time and they are held accountable for their actions. Unfortunate. But this woman's stupidity ended up with a completely innocent man being killed by her. From what I understand there was some sort of sexually charged phone call in progress as she is going to her apartment but though the apartment design was the same, the furniture and decorations were all different which should have clicked with her. Public pressure aside, I think the jury reached the only conclusion they reasonably could. The real question is what sentence does she get. I saw one news article stating it could be anywhere from 4 years to 99. That seems too broad but we shall see.
God,

Gun control is racist.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And too short. :evil:
catfish86 wrote:The real question is what sentence does she get. I saw one news article stating it could be anywhere from 4 years to 99. That seems too broad but we shall see.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I know that some forms of involuntary or vehicular manslaughter can be as low as 4 years but straight murder. Looking at some more news reports they show she faces up to 99 years but don't report a minimum. I expect her confusion and behavior reflects that will play a role but how much is another matter.
God,

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:One thing that I noticed was that the jury was allowed to consider the "controversial Castle Doctrine"...OK, shooting someone breaking into your home is controversial? OK let that sink in.

As to this case, I am sure the jury looked at that, concluded it only applied to HER home, not someone else's home. We get drunks, druggies and vagrants going in the wrong homes all the time and they are held accountable for their actions. Unfortunate. But this woman's stupidity ended up with a completely innocent man being killed by her. From what I understand there was some sort of sexually charged phone call in progress as she is going to her apartment but though the apartment design was the same, the furniture and decorations were all different which should have clicked with her. Public pressure aside, I think the jury reached the only conclusion they reasonably could. The real question is what sentence does she get. I saw one news article stating it could be anywhere from 4 years to 99. That seems too broad but we shall see.
Regarding the bolded, perhaps after entering her focus or attention was on the strange man in what she allegedly thought was her apartment. However, wasn't one of the "decorations" that she didn't have at her own apartment was allegedly on the outside of his apartment? (a welcome mat)
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Guilty of murder
Penalty phase to begin
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Supposing the cops issue a 'no-knock" warrant on the wrong house and kill the occupant. Are we going to see criminal charges against the cops, the prosecutor and the informant who had a part in issuing a 'no-knock" warrant?

Ooops! Silly me, I guess I shouldn't expect a prosecutor to file criminal charges against himself.

That's when a mayor or governor should step in and appoint a special prosecutor.

Apologies from the authorities aren't good enough when people are maimed or killed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein