South Africa Orders 300,000 Gun Owners to Turn Over Weapons

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Re: South Africa Orders 300,000 Gun Owners to Turn Over Weap

Post by High Power »

It looks like Shotspotter is a multi-million dollar toy.

From the San Diego Tribune of 12/18/2017:
So far, there have been four arrests in cases involving ShotSpotter, but the vast majority of activations turned up nothing.

Of all the incidents, officers collected evidence from 26 scenes. In about half of those cases, investigators were able to collect DNA and add it to a police database. That could lead to future arrests, or help investigators link criminal cases at a later date.

The data in San Diego seems to align with the results of a 2016 analysis by Forbes that looked at ShotSpotter data from more than a half-dozen big cities and found that the system alerted authorities to a significant amount of gunfire, but produced “few tangible results.”
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

And on 4/23/2018:
After Too Many Shots Missed, Fall River, Mass., Ends Deal with ShotSpotter. ShotSpotter says it can no longer offer service to Fall River for free after officials balked at funding a system working less than 50 percent of the time.
http://www.govtech.com/public-safety/Af ... otter.html

From 5/2/2018 in Birmingham, Alabama:
Last year, we sent multiple records request to the city asking for proof that it works. Months later, Birmingham police showed us some of what we're asking to take a look at. The most multiple gunshot activations from 2014 to 2017 came from the west side. But the department didn't show us numbers that would show a reduction in gun-related criminal activity due to the technology. They're only saying it works, which we've heard year after year.
http://www.wbrc.com/story/38099896/does ... ths-later/

Now it looks like Cincinnati and Columbus are using the same failed measures as South Africa and other Cities in the US.
ShotSpotter isn’t cheap. It costs $65,000 a year for every square mile. In Cincinnati, that equals $195,000 a year. The City of Columbus thought about using Shot Spotter in 2011, but determined it was too expensive. Now it wants to roll it out in at least one neighborhood as part of the Comprehensive Neighborhood Safety Strategy, but the timeline is not clear.
http://radio.wosu.org/post/columbus-pla ... t#stream/0

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Proof positive that Shotspotter has some of the best salesmen around, or are providing healthy kickbacks.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When Cincinnati was about to sign on for this, I told friends that other cities had tried and abandoned Shotspotter already.

Oh well, I only live near Cincy, not in it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

M-Quigley wrote:Supposedly S.A. is now going to use the "shotspotter" technology to combat gun violence. Makes sense, considering how well it's worked in the U.S. :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/world/south-a ... OeuRKe6YJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CAPE TOWN, South Africa — As gunshots ring out in one of South Africa's most dangerous neighborhoods, a new technology detects the gun's location and immediately alerts police.

South Africa is the first country outside the United States to implement the "shotspotter" audio technology, which is also being used to fight wildlife poaching on the other end of the country in Kruger National Park.

The technology's use in Cape Town's notoriously violent Cape Flats area has contributed for the first time this year to a conviction in a gang shooting. Police hope more will follow.

"About 13 percent of gunshots are reported by the public. Now we respond to every single incident, very rapidly," said City of Cape Town Alderman J.P. Smith, who instituted the technology in the Manenberg and Hanover Park neighborhoods in 2016. "It's accurate to between 2 meters and 10 meters (6 feet to 33 feet) of where the shot was fired."

The recovery of illegal guns has jumped five-fold in the areas where the shotspotter is used, Smith said. The technology also provides accurate data about gun violence.
Until it starts catching the "wrong" people...
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

[quote=]South Africa is the first country outside the United States to implement the "shotspotter" audio technology, which is also being used to fight wildlife poaching on the other end of the country in Kruger National Park.
[/quote][/quote]

I met a guy a couple years go at our local shooting club in the clubhouse after shooting sporting clays. He was waiting for the 300yd rifle range to open after clays were done.
We started talking and while killing time I heard him say he was going to South Africa on a hunting trip. I said in jest "Bring me home and elephant ear" and he replied "do you know how big and elephant ear is? I said yes and we both chuckled.
He went on to talk about his upcoming trip and said he had went there before. I asked what he was hunting and he replied "The State Department frowns on it" and I ask him what he was hunting again.
He said "do you know that hunting in a protected area in Africa the penalty is death?" I said really? He went on the say poachers sometime carry AKs with wire holding them together, work in small groups and can feed their families for a year from poaching protected animal.
He went on to say he is planted and moved periodically by the park staff to stop the poachers. After a few moments of reflecting on what he had just said I asked what happens to the bodies to which he replied "hyenas take care of them".
He reached in his shirt and pulled out a set of dog tags and said "hyenas don't eat metal".
I gathered he figures someday he will lose to the poachers.
A life long friend who knows him verified his story which is kind of freaky being he was so matter of fact about his hunting...
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

That certainly cuts down on court costs.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.