Shooting at 5/3 Bank in Cincin

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Shooting at 5/3 Bank in Cincin

Post by techmike »

Excellent catch Brian. Yes that was a very smooth recovery and transition.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
techmike wrote:Body cam footage - HERE of all places. It appears that the officer wearing this cam used his pistol to nail the shooter through the window. Also noted that another officer with an AR ditched it as it may have jammed? I think I detected an expletive in the audio...
Slow that down and look closely. It appears he fired one round from the AR and then dropped it because..no magazine was in the well. It could have been bumped out because he was sprinting to the scene from his vehicle.

In the fire/EMS racket, we occasionally broke equipment during full tilt training, and more often when doing stuff for real in an emergency.

That officer transitioned to his M&P about as smooth and quick as his adrenaline dump allowed.
From what you heard it fell out at some point. Talking with some I know at CPD they are notorious for loading the mags to the full 30 rounds, which we all know at that point sometimes makes them hard to seat properly. My guess is he thought it was fully in and it fell out.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote: From what you heard it fell out at some point. Talking with some I know at CPD they are notorious for loading the mags to the full 30 rounds, which we all know at that point sometimes makes them hard to seat properly. My guess is he thought it was fully in and it fell out.
In Viet Nam, we always slapped the bottom of the mag after inserting it and, if we had time, grabbed and shook it to make sure it was seated properly.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

schmieg wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: From what you heard it fell out at some point. Talking with some I know at CPD they are notorious for loading the mags to the full 30 rounds, which we all know at that point sometimes makes them hard to seat properly. My guess is he thought it was fully in and it fell out.
In Viet Nam, we always slapped the bottom of the mag after inserting it and, if we had time, grabbed and shook it to make sure it was seated properly.
I would say he had time, wouldn't you?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm thinking he grabbed the rifle from the trunk of his cruiser, and the magazine release button got bumped while the officer was rushing across the square, or wherever he responded from on foot. I could imagine him not noticing that happened. When you get focused in on rushing directly towards some danger, your eyes and ears sometimes block out everything else. That much, I'm not guessing about.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Not exactly what you would call, "heightened awareness", is it?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Well, I wonder how often CPD does training with their rifles. Other than periodic paper punching.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techmike wrote:Well, I wonder how often CPD does training with their rifles. Other than periodic paper punching.
Probably as little as the state standards allow.

********************************************************************************
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Brian D. wrote:I'm thinking he grabbed the rifle from the trunk of his cruiser, and the magazine release button got bumped while the officer was rushing across the square, or wherever he responded from on foot. I could imagine him not noticing that happened. When you get focused in on rushing directly towards some danger, your eyes and ears sometimes block out everything else. That much, I'm not guessing about.
That would mean that either the AR was in his trunk in, at least, condition one or he inserted the magazine, closed the bolt and then, somehow, dropped the magazine.

I doubt that transporting an AR with a round in the chamber is department SOP.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Not exactly what you would call, "heightened awareness", is it?
It's what can happen when your focus hones in 100% on one thing during an emergency. Maybe you can relate: That day in the hunting field, when you were attacked, at any point were you looking around to see if that cow had any friends? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I think you know what I mean.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:
That would mean that either the AR was in his trunk in, at least, condition one or he inserted the magazine, closed the bolt and then, somehow, dropped the magazine.

I doubt that transporting an AR with a round in the chamber is department SOP.
Alan, they keep the ARs in some sort of trunk mounted rack. Magazine inserted, no round in the chamber. A sling attached, no spare magazines on it.

Is it that hard to imagine the release button getting bumped while you're sprinting, rifle hastily slung?

Tell you what, guys: I should see my best CPD pal at a cigar event tonight, I will get the skinny from him, okay?

slowquest

Post by slowquest »

Not trunk mounted. Some are in soft cases in trunks, most are in vertical mounts between the 2 front seats. Not sure what the protocol is on mags inserted or not during transport.
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Can't say I've never had a mag fall out when loading at an empty start or during a forced reload in competition, and that just under stress generated by a clock. doesn't surprise me that it could happen under stress of an actual incident.

as for training they probably train as much as budget will allow, which is probably not as much as they would prefer.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

You always train beyond the point of being good because stress knocks your performance. An example is airborne (parachute) training in the Army. You go to jump school for two weeks practicing falls and exits ALL DAY LONG before you see an aircraft. By that point I would react from a dead sleep to jump commands. My first jump I literally felt like a robot.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

catfish86 wrote:You always train beyond the point of being good because stress knocks your performance.
In the ideal world, yes. But in the budget-restricted world of local law enforcement, that rarely actually happens.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!