Shooting at 5/3 Bank in Cincin

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Shooting at 5/3 Bank in Cincin

Post by techmike »

4 to 6 people injured, possibly 2 dead, at 5/3 Headquarters in Fountain Square.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/06/ac ... e-say.html
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Shooting at 5/3 Bank in Cincin

Post by bignflnut »

Supposedly from a 2005 article, but don't click the link :wink: ...:
Darrin Steinmann, vice president of investigations at Fifth Third Bank in Cincinnati, adamantly disputes the idea that the signs attract robbers. The unit of $91 billion-asset Fifth Third Bancorp posts such signs in its branches in Ohio and northern Kentucky.

"I just think there are certain banks in certain locations that are more likely to get robbed than others," Mr. Steinmann said. "In fact, we've had situations where uniformed police officers carrying weapons were inside banking centers, and these centers were still robbed."

Fifth Third posts "no guns" signs to lessen the chance that someone will get hurt in any kind of situation, he said.

SNIP

Fifth Third's Mr. Steinmann said that his bank rightly trains its employees not to fight robbers but just hand them the money. He points to another FBI statistic that he contends backs up that strategy: Out of the 7,465 U.S. bank robberies committed in 2003, fewer than 2% resulted in injury or death.

"Our No. 1 priority is the protection of our employees and customers," Mr. Steinmann said.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Gang, a couple days a week, I am right there at about that same time of morning, enroute to a cigar shop in the next block. Perhaps in the car, or on foot, depending on weather/parking availability. I could have been right in the thick of things, for better or worse. (Although not in the bank itself, for the same reason most of us don't use 5th/3rd.)

However, today is my usual day to hit the indoor range in northern Kentucky instead, so no downtown for me this morning. It seems a bit ironic, but I'm not trying to be. Avoidance of danger by total happenstance.

As an aside, this was the branch that is on the first floor of Fifth Third's U.S. HQ. Executives galore on the floors above.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

This guy wasn't there to rob the place, just to shoot people. You don't rob a bank by going in shooting - that attracts the police too quickly.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

News reports stated officers were there in literally just minutes! As opposed to what? Hours? :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Reports keep stating that the shooter entered from the Walnut Street sidewalk, which I believe is a floor below the Fountain Square lobby entrance. Maybe there was a slight delay while he went up a flight of steps?

I'm sure some of this will be cleared up by tomorrow.

********************************************************************************
someguy

Post by someguy »

News to me about them posting branches. I don't visit often but I always carry.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Reports keep stating that the shooter entered from the Walnut Street sidewalk, which I believe is a floor below the Fountain Square lobby entrance. Maybe there was a slight delay while he went up a flight of steps?

I'm sure some of this will be cleared up by tomorrow.
I guess that makes sense because I heard he entered through a loading dock. He supposedly started shooting immediately once inside the building. I think first call to dispatch was third party via an officer on site that said someone came up to him that an active shooter was in the building. Dispatch then confirmed it when their phones were off the hook and the on site officers started hearing gunshots.

Preliminary that I have heard was a 9mm and about 200 rounds of ammo were on him. I expect Cincinnati to claim one of their laws that were just shot down would have prevented this. :roll:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
marca

Post by marca »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I expect Cincinnati to claim one of their laws that were just shot down would have prevented this. :roll:
But, of course, it is already against the law to shoot people.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

marca wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I expect Cincinnati to claim one of their laws that were just shot down would have prevented this. :roll:
But, of course, it is already against the law to shoot people.
Not to mention that this was a posted no gun zone. Just couldn't have happened according to the antis.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:News reports stated officers were there in literally just minutes! As opposed to what? Hours? :roll:
Some of the things I heard from a police rep (Chief maybe?) at a news conference on the radio was:

Police arrived approx. 3 and a half minutes after the first 911 call.
Suspect was carrying approx. 250 extra rounds of ammunition
At one point his gun jammed,
He fired approx. 35 rounds total
There was a report that when he was in Palm Beach he was involuntarily committed but the police couldn't confirm that at this time
He purchased the gun legally at Point Blank firearms
The suspect did not enter through the loading dock; some victims went to the loading dock and reported the shooting, which is what caused the initial report to reflect that.

I think the police did an excellent job but 3 minutes is still not as good as 2 seconds, which is what the armed response might've been if Fifth Third hadn't had a no guns policy, or at least had armed security. (The security was unarmed according to the police rep.) Fifth Third's policies are based on robberies, not mass shootings.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Starting to sound like he had mostly boxed up ammunition in the bag. Just a few loaded magazines. Gun was possibly a Taurus semiauto.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Starting to sound like he had mostly boxed up ammunition in the bag. Just a few loaded magazines. Gun was possibly a Taurus semiauto.
I haven't heard how many magazines he had but regarding the brand of weapon used, there's this:

https://www.wsbradio.com/news/national/ ... c2soATU0K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isaac said Perez had been carrying a briefcase that held about 250 additional rounds of ammunition. He legally bought the Taurus 9mm semi-automatic handgun used in the attack last month in Cincinnati. After the shooting, police determined that Perez’s gun jammed at some point during the attack. He fired 35 rounds before he was shot and killed by police.
This was the only news source I could find that mentioned the brand of the gun. If it was a new Taurus and if he hadn't cleaned it throughly prior to use, that would explain the jamming. New Taurus guns are notorious for having a lot of oil in them, and many people who shoot them at the range without cleaning the gunk out first can experience issues.

Regardless of things like the brand of or caliber of gun used, motive, etc. the basic facts are like many mass shootings. He obtained a gun, started shooting people with it, and was only stopped by armed intervention.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Body cam footage - HERE of all places. It appears that the officer wearing this cam used his pistol to nail the shooter through the window. Also noted that another officer with an AR ditched it as it may have jammed? I think I detected an expletive in the audio...
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techmike wrote:Body cam footage - HERE of all places. It appears that the officer wearing this cam used his pistol to nail the shooter through the window. Also noted that another officer with an AR ditched it as it may have jammed? I think I detected an expletive in the audio...
Slow that down and look closely. It appears he fired one round from the AR and then dropped it because..no magazine was in the well. It could have been bumped out because he was sprinting to the scene from his vehicle.

In the fire/EMS racket, we occasionally broke equipment during full tilt training, and more often when doing stuff for real in an emergency.

That officer transitioned to his M&P about as smooth and quick as his adrenaline dump allowed.