Walmart violated discrimination law refusing 18yo gun sale

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Walmart violated discrimination law refusing 18yo gun sale

Post by Bruenor »

Nicely done Hannah

https://www.wweek.com/news/business/201 ... e-to-teen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries found this week that a Walmart store in St. Helens violated the state's nondiscrimination laws when it refused to sell a rifle to a woman who was not yet 21 years old.

Hannah Brumbles, 18, of Deer Island, Ore., filed a civil rights complaint with the state agency in April. She says Walmart discriminated against her by refusing to sell her a rifle, even though Oregon law says individuals over 18 may legally purchase firearms. BOLI agrees.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Walmart violated discrimination law refusing 18yo gun sa

Post by schmieg »

I'm impressed that Oregon reached this decision.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Well, while this is a win on the surface. Now this only gives an incentive for the state lawmakers to change the state law.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Hopefully the same arguments used to give 18-year-olds the right to vote will also be presented here.

Even though I hate to admit it, I'm well past 21 but I'd like to see the legal age to purchase and carry a handgun lowered to 18.

I served in the military at 18 and I should have been given the right to buy and carry a handgun at that age as well. I'm hoping for better days ahead for people much younger than I am.

Image Image
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If your 18 year old isn't responsible enough to handle a firearm then you failed to raise them properly.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Interesting that the various governments institute age restrictions on driving, buying firearms, alcohol, tobacco, having a bank account, etc, but then can charge Wally World with unlawfully deciding who they serve on the basis of age. :roll: :roll:
Seems more consistent to say that consumers cannot be discriminated against based on age.
Anybody can buy a $20 tank of propane.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Is anyone concerned that there may be a decision by retailers to simply not offer these items any longer (since everyone gets sued after a mass shooting)?

The whole point of the policy was virtue signalling, legal cover from potential lawsuits, etc?

If you're a retailer, selling an item that lawyers are slobbering at the opportunity to file suit against, how much pressure do you need to simply eliminate the item from your store?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798