The Kavanaugh Confirmation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: The Kavanaugh Confirmation

Post by steves 50de »

pirateguy191 wrote:Yes, I'm drinking a beer.
:wink:
Black Rifles Matter
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I say, to the good Senators...

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and by lunch time Monday, I want to see defamation charges, obstruction charges, perjury charges... and CIVIL SUITS.

That's just my view.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I wish I was, but I'm not done operating machinery for the rest of the day yet. Anyway, here's something in honor of you keeping breweries in business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this one is too slow a beat there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnhKU1tJD4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the pic of Arnold at 0:55 :lol:
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

So will he take a seat on the bench right away?
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

steves 50de wrote:
qmti wrote:It's over. It's a done deal. The Dem's have retreated to their offices to cry or compose a sarcastic denial speech.
When he gets the chance he will make the left PAY. imo
As far as I'm concerned, the Dem's are getting exactly what they deserve for putting the conservatives through 8 years of the Masai Obama. Too bad Bret can't or won't go after Ford for defamation. She would be on shaky grounds since she can't remember squat. But the left considers her testimony gospel.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

troy bilt wrote:So will he take a seat on the bench right away?
He's been sworn in, so I would think he starts Monday.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

This could still get more interesting.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In addition to the evidence I requested in my October 2 letter," Grassley continued in his letter, "in light of recently uncovered information, please turn over records and descriptions of direct or indirect communications between Dr. Ford or her representatives and any of the following: (1) U.S. Senators or their staffs, particularly the offices of Senators Feinstein and Hirono, other than your communications with me and my staff in preparation for the September 27 hearing; (2) the alleged witnesses identified by Dr. Ford (Leland Keyser, Mark Judge, and Patrick “P.J.” Smyth); and (3) Debbie Ramirez, Julie Swetnick, or their representatives."
Wonder what they are looking for with this request..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I know of at least 2 separate people, one man and one woman, who were considering not voting this time around, but after what went on in the last couple of weeks are now motivated to vote. Neither of them are what you call Trump supporters or die hard political types either. One of them is a moderate Democrat. They can't stand the things Trump says at times but they are generally supportive of what he's done in office. Both of them have in the past always voted for Sherrod Brown simply because he was the incumbent and they didn't have a specific reason (before) to not vote for him. Brown wasn't going to ever vote for Kavanaugh anyway but neither of them are concerned about that.

One was going to vote for Teresa Gasper simply because Gasper is a woman. Even though she is not running for the Senate, she would be part of the "blue wave" if she wins, so now she won't be getting at least one person's vote. Granted 2 people out of millions is only a snapshot, and the blue wave could still be huge, and result in a takeover of the House and Senate. It's still interesting to see results of actions, even though the results might not matter. OTOH, there were people saying the same thing about voting for Trump in 2016, voting despite thinking it didn't matter, that the election was a done deal.
So even though the Liberals lost this round in the Senate, they can take solace that their efforts did motivate a few people to vote that otherwise wouldn't have. :roll:
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Associate Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan said that the highest court in the land risks losing legitimacy without a centrist swing-vote, reports Bloomberg.

In Friday comments made just hours after the US Senate cleared the way for USSC nominee Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation, Kagan said that the court benefitted from having centrist Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy over the past 30-plus years.
The presence of O’Connor and Kennedy "enabled the court to look as though it was not owned by one side or another and was indeed impartial and neutral and fair," Kagan said to an audience at Princeton University. "And it’s not so clear that, you know, I think going forward that sort of middle position -- you know, it’s not so clear whether we’ll have it."

She added: "All of us need to be aware of that, every single one of us and to realize how precious the court’s legitimacy is." -Bloomberg
Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation as an associate justice of the Supreme Court has prompted not only exuberance and anger but also a kind of hazy worry in some corners that the circumstances of his ascension will call the Court’s legitimacy into doubt.

SNIP

The truth is it’s about time. The one upside to putting a person on the bench whose dishonesty and (literal and metaphorical) intemperance has been on such flagrant display is that it could prompt a sorely needed reckoning with the larger issue of the Court’s mostly pernicious role in American public affairs.

SNIP

The true turning point for the Court came in the 1995 case of United States v. Lopez, which featured a defendant challenging the Gun-Free School Zones Act. This was, interestingly, not a Second Amendment case that attempted to argue that prohibiting guns near schools violated an individual’s rights to keep and bear arms. Rather, a 5-4 Supreme Court majority invalidated the law on federalism grounds — saying that Congress simply lacked the authority to regulate the matter.

This turned out not to be a huge deal in practice because Congress was able to come back later and rewrite the law with a specific stipulation that it only related to guns that were shipped across states.

It was, however, a shot across the bow that the Supreme Court was no longer going to allow the people’s elected representatives to decide for themselves what steps were and were not useful exercises of congressional authority to regulate the national economy.

SNIP

Donald Trump lost the popular vote, and the senators who are voting with him to install Kavanaugh on the bench represent a minority of the American population. Gorsuch also secured his lifetime appointment under similarly minoritarian circumstances.

SNIP

Optimistically, it won’t come to that and Chief Justice Roberts will rediscover the concern about the Court’s popular legitimacy that led him to uphold most of the Affordable Care Act.
The Hillary led Dems have challenged the legitimacy of the 2016 Trump election (because they lost), and now, on the eve of losing many decisions, Kagan turns the screw on Roberts and other squishy SCOTUS GOP nominees challenging the legitimacy of SCOTUS, unless they vote with her at times. That's two out of three branches of federal government now being called illegit by the logically deficient.

Somebody call MC Hammer or Bobby Brown (POTUS CAMEO @1:02)!

Does anyone remember the debate question regarding accepting the results of the 2016 election, and Hillary's "troubling" response?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

From the Identity Politics Newsdesk:
Sunday morning, Kavanaugh was in his new chambers, just one day after being confirmed in preparation for the arguments the court will hear as it enters the second week of its term. Kavanaugh met with his four law clerks, all women – a first for the Supreme Court!

The New York Times reported on Sunday that only one of the four women, Kim Jackson, previously worked for Kavanaugh at the appellate court level. The other three women, Shannon Grammel, Megan Lacy, and Sara Nommensen, all worked for appeals court judges appointed by Republicans. Jackson will become one of three black law clerks working at the Supreme Court this term, and like Kavanaugh went to Yale Law School.

Grammel is a former president of the Stanford Law Review, and just began working at the Justice Department.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

qmti wrote:It's over. It's a done deal.
I don't think it is going to be "over" for the foreseeable future. :(
So it’s past time for liberals and the left to consider court packing: When they next have control of the House, the Senate, and the White House, Democrats should add at least two new seats to the Supreme Court and then fill them, ideally, with left-wing, well-qualified women of color. They could even call it “court balancing.”

“Pack the courts as soon as we get the chance,” tweeted Indiana University law professor Ian Samuel, the co-host of the popular Supreme Court podcast “First Mondays,” on the the day Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement from the Supreme Court in June. “‘Pack the courts’ should be a phrase on par with ‘abolish ICE.’”
https://theintercept.com/2018/09/30/pac ... eme-court/
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Packing the courts began a long time ago, Obama appointed a lot of judges during his 2 terms, including a "Wise Latina woman" to the USSC.. At this point Trump has a ways to go to catch up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... rack_Obama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The total number of Obama Article III judgeship nominees to be confirmed by the United States Senate is 329, including two justices to the Supreme Court of the United States, 55 judges to the United States Courts of Appeals, 268 judges to the United States district courts, and four judges to the United States Court of International Trade
vs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... nald_Trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As of October 9, 2018, the United States Senate has confirmed 69 Article III judges nominated by President Trump, including 2 Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 26 judges for the United States Courts of Appeals, 41 judges for the United States District Courts, and 0 judges for the United States Court of International Trade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... pointments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bruenor wrote:Packing the courts began a long time ago,
There's packing the courts, and then there's packing the Supreme Court by adding more than the traditional 9 justices - as FDR attempted. Since the CONUS doesn't specify the makeup of SCOTUS, presumably an act of congress could increase the court from 9 to some arbitrary number.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

M-Quigley wrote:
I wish I was, but I'm not done operating machinery for the rest of the day yet. Anyway, here's something in honor of you keeping breweries in business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this one is too slow a beat there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnhKU1tJD4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the pic of Arnold at 0:55 :lol:
I like the picture at 1:55 much better.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chief Justice John Roberts said in a letter on Wednesday that he had transferred judicial misconduct complaints related to Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh to the Judicial Council of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals for further review.

Although the complaints were originally lodged with the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Kavanaugh's former court, the circuit executive of that court asked Roberts to transfer the matters to another circuit out of a "concern that local disposition may weaken public confidence in the process."

The complaints relate to testimony that Kavanaugh gave last month during his confirmation hearings, according to a source familiar, and do not pertain to his conduct as a sitting judge.

In a letter addressed to Judge Timothy M. Tymkovich, the chief circuit judge of the Denver-based 10th Circuit, Roberts said he had selected the court to review the identified complaints and "any pending or new complaints related to the same subject matter." Tymkovich can handle the complaints himself, dismiss them or appoint a special committee to examine them.