The Kavanaugh Confirmation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: The Kavanaugh Confirmation

Post by Bruenor »

qmti wrote:I'm 69 years old and I don't think I have ever seen so much hate in politics before.
Ginsburg made a similar statement, she seems rather disgusted with the way the hearings are going.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... h-hearing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supreme CourtJustice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Wednesday criticized the Senate hearings for Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh and lamented that the confirmation process had devolved into a “highly partisan show” since she was confirmed in 1993.

“The way it was, was right. The way it is, is wrong,” the 85-year-old justice said during a discussion at George Washington University Law School, prompting a round of applause.

Justice Ginsburg was confirmed to the bench by a U.S. Senate vote of 96-3, two months after she was nominated by then-President Bill Clinton. The liberal justice said Wednesday that the “atmosphere” back then was “truly bipartisan.”

“The vote on my confirmation was 96-3, even though I had spent about 10 years of my life litigating cases under the auspices of the ACLU,” she said.

“No senator asked me any questions — not about that,” she said.

Justice Ginsburg also noted that the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was confirmed 98-0 despite his conservative leanings.

“Think of Justice Scalia, who’s certainly a known character in, what was it? 1986,” she said. “The vote was unanimous, every Democrat and every Republican voted for him.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Kavanaugh denies the allegations, whatever they are.

https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt ... cFiKDomYJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has denied an allegation of sexual misconduct from when he was in high school, seeking to defuse a potential threat to his confirmation as a handful of key senators remained silent on whether they would vote for him.

In a statement released by the White House Friday, Kavanaugh said: "I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time."

Senate Republicans insist Kavanaugh's confirmation remains on track. But the allegation has inflamed an already intense political battle over President Donald Trump's nominee. It also pushes the #MeToo movement into the court fight, less than two months before congressional elections that have seen a surge of female Democratic candidates.

The New Yorker magazine reported that the alleged incident took place at a party when Kavanaugh, now 53, was attending Georgetown Preparatory School. The woman making the allegation attended a nearby school.
Rallying to Kavanaugh's defense, 65 women who knew him in high school issued a letter saying Kavanaugh has "always treated women with decency and respect." The letter was circulated by Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"We are women who have known Brett Kavanaugh for more than 35 years and knew him while he attended high school between 1979 and 1983," wrote the women, who said most of them had attended all-girl high schools in the area. "For the entire time we have known Brett Kavanaugh, he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect."

The show of support for Kavanaugh was organized by his former law clerks. Three women reached by the AP said they were first asked to sign the letter on Thursday.

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, a Republican member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he won't let Kavanaugh's confirmation be stalled by the allegation, which he called "wholly unverifiable."

"Every accuser deserves to be heard. But a process of verification is also necessary," Hatch said.
Collins held an hourlong phone call with Kavanaugh on Friday, her spokeswoman confirmed. It had been a previously scheduled follow-up to an initial visit that Kavanaugh made to her office in August. It was not immediately clear if they discussed the new information.

If Collins or Murkowski should vote for Kavanaugh, he is likely to be confirmed. Every other Republican in the Senate is expected to vote yes — and some Democrats from Trump-won states may join them — though it remains to be seen if the misconduct allegation will cost him any support.
This last quote I totallly disagree with
The allegation against Kavanaugh prompted a public statement from Anita Hill, who famously accused Justice Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment during his confirmation hearings in 1991. He denied those allegations and was confirmed.

Hill, who is now a professor at Brandeis University, urged the Senate to put in place a process for people to come forward.

"Even in the #MeToo era, it remains incredibly difficult to report harassment, abuse or assault by people in power," she said.
Difficult? What's difficult about it nowadays? You even have people like Gloria Allred to help with the process.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

But looking further ahead, Republican leaders might have more difficulty as Tennessee Republican Bob Corker - who is not a member of the Judiciary Committee but could still hold up the final confirmation vote - said Sunday that he'd also like to see Thursday's committee vote delayed.

Here's more from Bloomberg:
"I’ve made it clear that I’m not comfortable moving ahead with the vote on Thursday if we have not heard her side of the story or explored this further," said Flake, who has the power to stall consideration if all Democrats on the panel join him since Republicans only hold an 11-10 majority on the committee. Flake’s office didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Corker of Tennessee, who isn’t a member of the panel but whose vote is critical to confirmation, also doesn’t want the committee to vote on Kavanaugh’s confirmation until Ford’s allegations can be heard, said his spokeswoman, Micah Johnson. The senator wants the allegations to be heard promptly, she said.
The backlash intensified late Sunday when Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski told CNN that Thursday's hearing should be delayed.
"Well, I think that might be something they might have to consider, at least having that discussion," Murkowski.

[...]

"This is not something that came up during the hearings. The hearings are now over. And if there is real substance to this it demands a response."
The Dems are picking off the weak ones...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

On Monday, in the latest sign that Ford could appear at an embarrassing public hearing, Ford's attorney, Debra Katz, told "Today" that her client would be willing to testify publicly before the Senate Judiciary Committee. "She's a credible person. These are serious allegations. And they should be addressed."

She has taken a polygraph. She is a credible person. These are serious allegations, and these should be addressed.”
Well that's good enough for me. Everyone knows a polygraph is infallible proof that the person is honest and credible. (except for that FBI agent and a few others who passed polygraphs yet either spied for Russia or committed other serious felonies)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 40005aef76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On an unrelated note, I've always wondered why the Senate hasn't investigated the Travis Walton UFO abduction. After all, he and five of his co workers all passed polygraph tests when they claimed they saw Travis Walton with an encounter with a UFO. :roll:
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

1. A week is a long, long time in politics and many people involved in Sen and at WH priv. see next Mon's planned hearing as an eon away and still wonder if it'll happen…

… and there are ongoing debates internally over whether Dr. Ford wants to go through with it, whether Judge Kavanaugh can hold on, and whether the votes in Senate GOP can hold until then. 2. While the WH wants to drive the process, McConnell remains central to everything…

… McConnell is the one who early on thought Judge Thapar would be best choice, but went along w/ WH. Now, as process cracks open, he's asserting himself even as he remains a team player. Allies tell me his priority is the SCOTUS seat, not protecting Kavanaugh every news cycle.

3. Don't underestimate the jockeying going on in GOP circles for a post-Kavanaugh world. Advocates for Hardiman, Coney Barrett, Thapar all talking w/ plugged-in friends in Congress or WH, ready for the possibility of further disruption of Kavanaugh nomination between now and Mon.

8. So, you have an on-edge Senate GOP and a WH in defense mode + a president so far typically defensive of his pick, but also watching it all play out…
Lots of drama...the vote was supposed to be Thursday, now there's talk of a Monday hearing of the accuser, who is not a Trump voter, to state it generously.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Not a Trump voter is a very considerate way of describing her.

Blasey Ford:
SJW - Psychology professor in the Bay area.
She's taken part in Anti Trump demonstrations wearing her pink knit hat.
Signed onto letters in opposition to Trump policies.
Ratemyteacher.com reviews state "There's something wrong with her" and others report if you showed any conservative values in class you became a target to be persecuted by her.

All her social media has been completely scrubbed from the internet over the last two months (I wonder why that would happen before the letter came out) and even the negative reviews from Rate My Teacher have disappeared in the last couple days.

Yeah she seems credible..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

And before we even knew who was nominated the Facebook memes joking that the #metoo accuser was waiting in the wings for whoever is nominated...the only thing surprising is how far the Democrats are willing to go to persecute conservative Christians who support gun rights. As to her passing a polygraph, a person with a doctorate in psychology might have the knowledge and training to defeat a polygraph. There is a reason they are not allowed to be used as evidence in a court of law. Just because there are wires and a machine does not mean it is accurate or reliable.

This woman is a flaming liberal and her attorney is a notorious political hack.

In the election leading up to the Clarence Thomas hearings I had voted for Jesse Jackson in the primary. I was a liberal and wanted to see Clarence Thomas defeated. I didn't believe Anita Hill then and just marveled that Ted Kennedy, who left a date for dead in the water, could sit in judgement over this. I was astounded to realize how flimsy and fake her story was. Is anyone really surprised by this?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote: Is anyone really surprised by this?
A little surprised that they didn't lead with it.
But then again, the only goal is to run the clock to midterms. Makes sense that way.

It's great WWE stuff.
"I just want to say to the men of this country just shut up and step up. Do the right thing for a change," Senator Mazie Hirono (D-HI) slams treatment of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's accuser.
Great video imbed.

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I was fascinated by Sen. Hirono's assertion that the accuser had no duty to provide any proof of her accusations.

Adopting that principle, I could say that Ariel Castro sent me a letter saying that Sen. Hirono had helped him kidnap the three girls, hold them captive and sexually abuse them.

The letter? I burned it.

So, by her own standards, Sen. Hirono is "guilty" and should resign her position.

And if you think that's something, wait til you hear about what Joren van der Sloot told me about Diane Feinstein's involvement in the disappearance of Natalie Holloway...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:I was fascinated by Sen. Hirono's assertion that the accuser had no duty to provide any proof of her accusations.

Adopting that principle, I could say that Ariel Castro sent me a letter saying that Sen. Hirono had helped him kidnap the three girls, hold them captive and sexually abuse them.

The letter? I burned it.

So, by her own standards, Sen. Hirono is "guilty" and should resign her position.

And if you think that's something, wait til you hear about what Joren van der Sloot told me about Diane Feinstein's involvement in the disappearance of Natalie Holloway...
The letter would have to come from a liberal female, otherwise it doesn't count. No Juanita Brodricks for example.

Proof? She doesn't even want to provide testimony, much less proof.

https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt ... bB70wsDSJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christine Blasey Ford wants the FBI to investigate her allegation that she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh before she testifies at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing next week, her lawyers said in a letter to the panel.
and the real reason for all of this?
Trump has already rejected the idea of bringing in the FBI to reopen its background check of Kavanaugh. Should he order such a review, it would likely delay a confirmation vote until after the election. Republicans hope to have Kavanaugh confirmed by Oct. 1, the start of the next Supreme Court term.

In a tweet Tuesday night, Trump wrote: "The Supreme Court is one of the main reasons I got elected President. I hope Republican Voters, and others, are watching, and studying, the Democrats Playbook."
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The vote was to be Thursday the 20th (original schedule).

There was a plan made to have Ford testify on Monday the 24th...but then this request that the FBI investigate an event from decades ago...OH...by the way....Ford has not accepted the invitation to testifyon the 24th...

Looks like there's going to be a hearing Monday...but who will show up?
According to the Hill, Grassley said Tuesday that there was "no reason" to delay the hearing now that Republicans have invited both Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, his accuser, to testify publicly. However, while Ford's attorneys have insisted that their client has taken a polygraph test and "deserves to be heard", Ford has bizarrely insisted that the FBI should have an opportunity to investigate her claims before she appears before the committee in order to spare her the "trauma" of confronting her alleged assailant.

SNIP

Without the support of their Republican allies, Democrats will lack the votes on the committee to hold up the nomination past Monday. Though bizarrely, Kavanaugh himself hasn't said yet whether he would or wouldn't testify, which begs the question: If neither Kavanaugh nor Ford appear at the hearing, what exactly will lawmakers discuss?

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

another small tidbit in the accusers backstory. It seems Kavanaugh's mother is also a judge and she presided over the foreclosure of the Blasey parents home.

https://www.operationrescue.org/wp-cont ... losure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always interesting to see these tie ins..
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Bruenor wrote:another small tidbit in the accusers backstory. It seems Kavanaugh's mother is also a judge and she presided over the foreclosure of the Blasey parents home.

https://www.operationrescue.org/wp-cont ... losure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always interesting to see these tie ins..
I don't see this as anything really, the accuser was most likely not even aware of it. The foreclosure action was dismissed due to the parties reaching an agreement of some kind. I doubt the judge spent much time involved with the matter and would be hard pressed to even recall it.

The real smell is coming from the timing and lack of corroborating details/witnesses. Everybody else that knew Kavanaugh from that time says they don't remember the event and Kavanaugh did not behave like this to their knowledge. Kind of odd that not even one person other than her therapist even knows of this..
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
High Power

Post by High Power »

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A woman who has accused Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump’s U.S. Supreme Court nominee, of sexually assaulting her decades ago has until Friday morning to provide prepared testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, the panel’s chairman said on Wednesday.

The committee has invited Ford and Kavanaugh to testify on Monday about the allegation. Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, in a letter to the lawyers for university professor Christine Blasey Ford, also said the committee would be willing to hold the hearing behind closed doors rather than in a public session, adding that he was disturbed to hear that Ford has been subjected to personal threats.