Police to release more details in shooting of CO homeowner

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Police to release more details in shooting of CO homeowner

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national/poli ... TBHBcI0mO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Naked intruder attacks man's grandson, man attempts to stop intruder without gun and is unsuccessful, then gets gun and shoot attacker. Wife called 911, police respond and shoot the homeowner. If I read the story correctly the homeowner, who is white, is named Black, and the intruder is black. Name of intruder not reported. Not relevant to the cause of the shooting perhaps, just ironic. In this particular case, calling 911 at the start of the incident instead of when the attack was stopped lead to a tragedy. :(
It's the fourth police shooting in the city of Aurora in about a month. Police say the officer who killed Black also was involved in another fatal shooting on June 27 that is still being investigated.
I'm surprised it isn't stand procedure there to put an officer on paid administrative leave after the first shooting.
GlockMan27

Re: Police to release more details in shooting of CO homeown

Post by GlockMan27 »

Colorado newspaper article says that Mr. Black had "significant hearing loss" from his time in the military. First paragraph even states that the police did not identify themselves but did order him multiple times to put down the firearm before firing.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/02/a ... mpairment/

Also, here is their story with more details about the naked intruder.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/01/n ... st-record/
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Article I read this morning said the Wife described the intruder, and that he was naked, and then described her husband and what he was wearing to the 911 dispatcher when she made the call.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I haven't seen this story until now, but thought a comment on it was warranted.

I think the aggressiveness of police in these circumstances is far too dangerous to stick around after a shooting. I live alone, so this may not apply for many, but it is my idea that should I be in a self defense situation at home (or anywhere), I'm grabbing the gun I just used and holstering it, wallet, and keys and heading out the door. This is assuming police are minutes away. Walk down to the end of the block or drive away as you make the 911 call. As we always say, describe yourself and notify them of your position.

I feel that leaving the scene of violence is ideal as a bunch of police with adrenaline, possibly bad information from dispatch, and maybe the end of the shift fog approach your dark house. Another problem thrown in there is your potential for temporary hearing loss after an indoor shoot. You may not hear commands, as the man in this story (albeit for previously hearing loss).

tl;dr

After a self defense shoot and if the perp is dead, it's probably a good idea to leave the scene when making the call so you aren't the first person their sights line up on.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin