Restraining Order failed Capital Gazette victims

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Restraining Order failed Capital Gazette victims

Post by bignflnut »

The suspect in Thursday's deadly newsroom shooting had been reported to the police on at least two occasions by journalists at the paper, and that a restraining order had been taken out against him, according to a former Capital Gazette employee.

SNIP

“I can’t stop shaking because I cant’t stop thinking about how this could be any one of us,” said Alexander, 26, a Bloomberg Government data reporter. “There’s nothing to keep this from happening to any newsroom or newspaper across the country.”

“Our hearts break for our colleagues in Annapolis and we want to do whatever we possibly can to help them pay for medical bills, funeral costs, newsroom repairs, and any other unforeseen expenses that might arise as a result of this terrible shooting,” the page says.
Certainly not restraining orders.
Have you heard of SELF-defense? People who might be victims carry weapons to defend themselves, particularly from people who have an axe to grind against them...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Re: Restraining Order failed Capital Gazette victims

Post by deanimator »

They need to start printing those things on trauma plates...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

We have confirmed, I think, already — it was a shotgun used in the incident. I would also confirm it was a pump-action shotgun. It was legally purchased a year or so ago,” the police chief stated in a press conference.

“This was a targeted attack. We can’t fathom why that person chose to do this,” Altomare went on. “We don’t think we have any more clear and present dangers to the citizens of Anne Arundel County. That person has had a history with the Anne Arundel County Police Department.”
Can't fathom? What about the restraining order? Why was that needed? Could that help your fathom out?

Not even a "full semi-automatic"!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I guess many of you are familiar with how hard it is for Maryland residents to get a carry license, right? "Discretionary issue" is a terrible thing.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Brian D. wrote:I guess many of you are familiar with how hard it is for Maryland residents to get a carry license, right? "Discretionary issue" is a terrible thing.
It certainly is. Trouble is I don't see how the outcome would have been much different in Ohio since most workplaces are victim dissarmament zones.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Fueling conspiracy theories online, just one week before the shooting at the newspaper’s headquarters, the Capital Gazette reported that “Annapolis Police will be conducting an active shooter drill.”

The Annapolis Police Department released a statement claiming that residents “should be aware that real-life sights and sounds may be seen and heard along the periphery of the campus and a variety of emergency response vehicles will be in the area.”

Annapolis Fire Department Spokesperson Ken White said that the drill was being held “just in case… we have an active shooter here in Annapolis,” and insisted that “with the increase of active shooter incidents we are seeing, the city has determined that it’s important for us to hold this training so that in the event that something may happen, we will be well-prepared.”

As TFTP has reported, similar drill situations played out during the September 11, 2001 World Trade Center attacks, the July 7, 2007 London subway bombings, the Parkland shooting, and the Paris theater attack on November 13, 2015—which all saw training drills taking place virtually simultaneously to the real-life event for which they were training.

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WestonDon wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I guess many of you are familiar with how hard it is for Maryland residents to get a carry license, right? "Discretionary issue" is a terrible thing.
It certainly is. Trouble is I don't see how the outcome would have been much different in Ohio since most workplaces are victim dissarmament zones.
There was an article I read online, but lost when my phone restarted, describing the general chaos in the building. Evidentially it's a multi-tenant building and one of the other tenants is a law firm (or at least their name sounded like one). The article noted that when the shooting started an employee of that firm grabbed not one but two :shock: handguns from his desk. It didn't say anything more than that so I have no idea of the particulars. I believe Maryland allows for unlicensed carry in ones place of business though. Two guns in your desk at work is pretty orb-er though.