Broward Deputy who didn't go in regrets decision

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Broward Deputy who didn't go in regrets decision

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/resource-offi ... LdqwQYWmN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Knowing what I know today, I would have been in that building in a heartbeat,” Scot Peterson told NBC News’ Savannah Guthrie on Today, in an interview that will air Tuesday and Wednesday on the morning program.
Knowing what? That he was going to get public condemnation for it? :roll:
Guthrie asked Peterson if he could acknowledge that “You missed it,” referring to his response when Nikolas Cruz entered the building in the South Florida high school and opened fire.

“I have to,” Peterson said. “I have to live with that. You know, how could I not?

“I mean, I'm human … in the perfect world, oh, I would have said, ‘Oh, yeah, I know there was a shooter in there. Let me go to the third floor. Find this person.’”
gfrlaser

Re: Broward Deputy who didn't go in regrets decision

Post by gfrlaser »

You nailed it!

Knowing what? That he was going to get public condemnation for it? :roll:
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It also came out recently that the on-site Captain in charge (who had almost zero tactical experience) refused to let the response teams (mixed of LEOs and EMTs) into the building for a very long time. She was asked a number of times to let them go in, but dithered. Standard protocal is to go in ASAP.

How many died due to that incompetence?

Blood on her hands.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Is this interview supposed to HELP his case?
Is the audience to see contrition or have sympathy on this individual?
What is the point of this when there are investigations and lawsuits pending?
What fresh idiocy is THIS?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

There was a story about him being interviewed, on NPR yesterday.

It was mostly a pathetic sob story about HE's the victim.

Imagine a story on German public radio about how tough life was for Adolph Eichmann because he had to move to South America and live under an assumed name...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:There was a story about him being interviewed, on NPR yesterday.

It was mostly a pathetic sob story about HE's the victim.

Imagine a story on German public radio about how tough life was for Adolph Eichmann because he had to move to South America and live under an assumed name...
I found a link that has that short interview in text, and you described it perfectly. :(

Here though is what I found was the most important part of the interview with the reporter.
And, you know, he was the only officer with a gun at that school.
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/61691787 ... riff-deput" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some video of Scot Peterson explaining why he thinks it's not his fault. It's basically he didn't go in because he didn't know where the shooting was coming from. If the interviewer asked him why he radioed other deputies to stay away from the building, that part wasn't on this video. Granted, he didn't know exactly in what room of the building the shooter was in, but so what? Also, it wasn't like he was waiting for some kind of backup either, or he would've requested it.

Even though Peterson didn't go in, IMO the Sheriff's dept. and the school board bears some responsibility for the overall response that day. There are reports that the first responder to the shooting (the unarmed coach with the radio who was also a part of the school security) was proficient with firearms. If he would've either been armed or at least had access to a gun, he would've had another option than putting his body in between the shooter and the victims. :(

Could he have saved lives if he had been armed? No one knows, but one thing is for sure. There would've been better odds of decreasing the number of victims than just depending on one person in a huge school complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE6M4qaOXGI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote: Could he have saved lives if he had been armed? No one knows, but one thing is for sure. There would've been better odds of decreasing the number of victims than just depending on one person in a huge school complex.
The anti-gun cult position is that it's better that he and the students die rather than he defend them and himself with a gun. That would have been "escalating the violence" and "lowering himself to the killer's level".
docachna

Post by docachna »

deanimator wrote: The anti-gun cult position is that it's better that he and the students die rather than he defend them and himself with a gun. That would have been "escalating the violence" and "lowering himself to the killer's level".
Actually, I think the anti's will find LE wrong no matter what they did or didn't do. If they charge to the rescue, they're escalating the violence. If they delay to formulate a directed response, they're dilatory and negligent. Damned if you do/damned if you don't.

It's the Progressive way.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

docachna wrote:
deanimator wrote: The anti-gun cult position is that it's better that he and the students die rather than he defend them and himself with a gun. That would have been "escalating the violence" and "lowering himself to the killer's level".
Actually, I think the anti's will find LE wrong no matter what they did or didn't do. If they charge to the rescue, they're escalating the violence. If they delay to formulate a directed response, they're dilatory and negligent. Damned if you do/damned if you don't.

It's the Progressive way.
The crazy thing is though is that some anti gunners are hypocritical and perfectly fine with violence if it comes to enforcing some anti gun law. (particularly confiscation.) Like for example the politician from California who wants people prosecuted if they don't turn in so called "assault weapons", or the audience who laughed when a Sheriff talked about gun confiscation and how some gun owners have said, "From my cold dead hands", with one woman saying "I'll do it."
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:with one woman saying "I'll do it."
My standard reply: "I'm your huckleberry."
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

As you might imagine, the parents of the victims are honked at the Deputy's interview:
The explanation was not good enough for some Parkland parents grieving the loss of a child. They're "not buying" Peterson's version of events that day, Kerry Sanders, the NBC interviewer and narrator, noted, before cutting to his interview with two Parkland fathers.

"I listen to this and I get enraged," said Greg Guttenberg, who lost his daughter in the shooting. He was joined by another father, Max Schachter, whose child was also killed.

At one point in his conversation with Guthrie, Peterson said he would've done anything to protect "his kids" in the school. Guttenberg and Schachter exploded over that remark.

"Don't call them 'my kids!'" Guttenberg said. "Those are not his kids. They were Max's kids, they were my kids. He didn't go to a funeral, he's not going to miss a birthday. Unlike Max and I he won't miss Father's Day."
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

You know things are pretty bad for you when even your own union doesn't support your explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pph-Dg_Uiz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

This just in...

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/ ... ld-neglect

"Agents with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement have charged Peterson with seven counts of child neglect, three counts of culpable negligence, and one count of perjury after a 15-month investigation, the agency said."

"...Peterson was booked into the Broward jail on Tuesday. State Attorney Mike Satz told the Associated Press that if convicted of all charges, the prison sentence would be almost 100 years. Bail was set at $102,000.

The Broward State Attorney's Office, 17th Judicial Circuit will prosecute."
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The odds of him being successfully prosecuted for anything besides the perjury are virtually nil.

We don't have to protect you and we won't let you protect yourself...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Dereliction of duty...doesn't matter if he is not found guilty....there will be plenty of civil suits. He'll pay for the rest of his life..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens