Non-certified CHL instructor = 1700 CHLs in jeopardy

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Non-certified CHL instructor = 1700 CHLs in jeopardy

Post by rimfireOH »

So, Mrs. rimfireOH and I visited the Lake County Sheriff yesterday. Arrived a few minutes early, got signed in for a renewal and waited well-past both of our appointment times. About 40 minutes into our visit, they were able to see us. Place was full--every seat taken--with renewals and first-timers (some arsonists and sex offenders, too).

When we showed our letters, we were given a questionnaire about our course, five years ago. Luckily, Mrs. rimfireOH has a better memory than her worse half. It was the who, what, where, when, how long about the classroom instruction, the range instruction, etc. The deputy pulled us off to the side to show us a lineup of various people who are involved in this issue. We were able to identify the three people actually present/instructors during the course (all but Luther were apparently credentialed instructors at the time).

So, after waiting some more (it was really busy that day), we walked out, re-licensed (in our hands) and went off on our merry way. Total time spent: 90 minutes.

Edited to add: Because the validity of our original course was in question, I had brought all our other training certificates (TDI, taking the course again with son, etc.) and that briefly threw the deputy for a loop. He really wanted to know why I had all these certificates, but seemed to understand when I explained (about proficiency, changing laws and taking my son for his course). [Note to self: don't volunteer anything!]

Afterwards, while waiting for train to pass, he drove past and gave us a great big smile and wave.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Non-certified CHL instructor = 1700 CHLs in jeopardy

Post by WhyNot »

That is certainly good news. Hopefully others fair as well.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good