NH Man kills roomate demonstrating how to carry gun safely

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

NH Man kills roomate demonstrating how to carry gun safely

Post by Bruenor »

failing to enure it was unloaded and clear was only one of his many failures.
A New Hampshire man says he was demonstrating a safer way to carry a pistol when he accidentally shot and killed his roommate in their apartment.

Police say 25-year old Adam Anderson, of Keene, recklessly caused the death Sunday of 22-year-old Holden Guyette by failing to ensure the handgun was unloaded and clear.

They say he aimed it at Guyette and caused a fatal chest wound.

A police affidavit says Anderson said he was unaware that he shot Guyette, but called 911 when he saw blood.

He said he has been shooting firearms since childhood.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z5FWUs9wNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Re: NH Man kills roomate demonstrating how to carry gun saf

Post by Brian D. »

I try to keep these incidents in their proper perspective, but sometimes it ain't easy.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

It's hard to cure stupidity.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
welshj

Post by welshj »

schmieg wrote:It's hard to cure stupidity.
Or sometimes... such as this one- unfortunately very easy.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

No comment.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

welshj wrote:
schmieg wrote:It's hard to cure stupidity.
Or sometimes... such as this one- unfortunately very easy.
No, the stupid one survived.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

There's gotta be more to this one. How do you not realize it went off? Shooter is dating the deceased's sister. Teaching safety by pointing a firearm at someone? :roll:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I couldn't figure out how showing someone a "safer" way to carry a gun ends up with him shot in the chest. I found this from a local news source: http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/loca ... 14d56.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tia was also present for the shooting, according to the affidavit. She told police Anderson lifted the handgun and a holster so her brother could see it, and the gun went off, Lundin wrote.

According to the affidavit, Anderson said he thought he heard Guyette check that the gun was empty. Anderson described himself to police as an experienced firearm user who usually checks that they are safe, the affidavit states. But for whatever reason, he said, he did not do so Sunday — perhaps “because he trusted Holden and thought the gun would have been safe,” Lundin wrote.

Lundin wrote that Anderson told him he “aimed it at Holden and pulled the trigger.” Parsons, Anderson's attorney, disputed that account in court Monday.

“Adam has been very clear with me that he didn’t aim a firearm toward his friend,” Parsons said.
WY_Not wrote:There's gotta be more to this one. How do you not realize it went off? Shooter is dating the deceased's sister. Teaching safety by pointing a firearm at someone? :roll:
The local news source wrote it up as "Anderson said he didn’t realize a bullet had struck Guyette until he saw the blood".
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Trust no one. Even if you are standing there and watch the other person safe a firearm, if it is handed to you then YOU need to safe it yourself.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If a gun from a store shelf is handed to me with magazine removed and a chamber flag in the ejection port, I still retract the slide enough to see the breech for myself. It just makes sense to be cautious.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

WY_Not wrote:There's gotta be more to this one. How do you not realize it went off? Shooter is dating the deceased's sister.
If I'm the cops, I'm charging this guy with at least voluntary manslaughter. The story is the best the joker could come up with to cover what he was really doing.
docachna

Post by docachna »

WY_Not wrote:There's gotta be more to this one. How do you not realize it went off? Shooter is dating the deceased's sister. Teaching safety by pointing a firearm at someone? :roll:
Yeah, I think I'm throwin' that yellow flag on "I didn't know I shot him"................ :?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

docachna wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm throwin' that yellow flag on "I didn't know I shot him"................ :?
I'm rather curious if that's actually what was said, or yet another case of rampant, gross incompetence by another member of the media.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:“Adam has been very clear with me that he didn’t aim a firearm toward his friend,” Parsons said.
The evidence is clearly not in his favor on this one.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Bruenor wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:“Adam has been very clear with me that he didn’t aim a firearm toward his friend,” Parsons said.
The evidence is clearly not in his favor on this one.
Maybe the company that made his cartridges are the same ones that make my golf balls. They start out going toward the green and then veer off into a tree or into water.
-- Mike