911 caller reports man playing a basoon as possible weapon

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

911 caller reports man playing a basoon as possible weapon

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/springfield-m ... pGhLCELhJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While not wanting to discourage people from making 911 calls, Graf said that in this atmosphere, “we’d love it if citizens could slow down to get a very accurate depiction of what they’re seeing” so the initial information police receive is more accurate.

In his years working on street patrol, Graf has been on a scene where a 911 call indicated there was a gun and none was present. He recalls asking someone on the scene about that once and being told there had never been a gun involved but the caller mentioned one in hopes of getting a quicker police presence with no thought to the potential consequences.
BEAR!

Re: 911 caller reports man playing a basoon as possible weap

Post by BEAR! »

If someone was playing a bassoon they should have been arrested !

Have you ever heard one of those things? Swinging a cat around by it's tail would sound better. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Really!!! The caller should be cited for a false call which took the officers away from a more serious call.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

BEAR! wrote:If someone was playing a bassoon they should have been arrested !

Have you ever heard one of those things? Swinging a cat around by it's tail would sound better. :mrgreen:
Sir, I beg to differ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1Nz3UOOas
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bagpipe music is like red kryptonite to me. But I'm not going to get anyone arrested or possibly SWAT-ed for playing them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Bagpipe music is like red kryptonite to me. But I'm not going to get anyone arrested or possibly SWAT-ed for playing them.
You should hear my wife when I play my Black Watch albums.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

qmti wrote:Really!!! The caller should be cited for a false call which took the officers away from a more serious call.

Basically that charge is rarely ever used and when it is, the conviction rate is so low. I would betcha domestic violence has a higher conviction rate.

The reason the charge is rarely ever used is because it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between an obvious fake call and one that the person misbelieved what they saw. If you start charging every time you think a call is false, you basically destroy the 911 system.

Is someone locked out of their vehicle a good use of 911? It's obviously not an emergency unless a child is locked inside. Last year my department did 693 vehicle lockouts. 98 of those were reported by calling 911. Less than 10 of those had a child locked inside.

Look at the following image. Which is correct?

I use to have a decent gun group picture that showed a group of gun people from the side and one from the front. It was actually taken at the same time by two different media stations. The front showed the group posing. The side view showed them about to fight a battle.

My point is, perception and what we believe we see plays a large part in what one may tell a 911 dispatcher. Therefore, it's nearly impossible to know if the person is truly seeing what they think they see or not. That is why it is key to ask them throughout the call if anything changes to get them to repeat the story and maybe they saw it differently and their perception changed. Does it mean they are lying? Good luck proving that in court.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Non-locals usually don't know the police/fire/EMS non-emergency phone numbers, so 911 becomes the universal default. I know you know that Jedi, just saying..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Non-locals usually don't know the police/fire/EMS non-emergency phone numbers, so 911 becomes the universal default. I know you know that Jedi, just saying..
I know and that is talked about in a lot of dispatch training. But it hurts those that claim "one should be charged if 911 is called and it's not an emergency." When 911 is being used as common as AAA (sometimes even more so) for vehicle problems, then you can't say it is an emergency only line.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The State has educated the populace to the behaviors we are decrying. Elementary students are taught to call 911.

See Something, Say Something is the adult snitching campaign. Signs in stadiums, airports, etc.

Public safety and gun control being constant front page/lead story fodder is contributing to the dilema.

How could it be any other way? The State is providing avenues and educating the use of their budgets to help people feel comfortable walking away from self-government. You're going to get cat-in-a-tree calls and man-with-a-GUN! calls. The population is being dumbed-down and more dependent on the Nanny every week.

No single citizen report should be taken as gospel. When arriving, peace officers should confirm as much as they can before engaging. Are people fleeing? Can one hear gunshots?...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The sad part is that this guy, given the wrong cop, could end up shot on sight.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
qmti wrote:Really!!! The caller should be cited for a false call which took the officers away from a more serious call.

Basically that charge is rarely ever used and when it is, the conviction rate is so low. I would betcha domestic violence has a higher conviction rate.

The reason the charge is rarely ever used is because it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between an obvious fake call and one that the person misbelieved what they saw. If you start charging every time you think a call is false, you basically destroy the 911 system.

Is someone locked out of their vehicle a good use of 911? It's obviously not an emergency unless a child is locked inside. Last year my department did 693 vehicle lockouts. 98 of those were reported by calling 911. Less than 10 of those had a child locked inside.
So far I agree with what you have said.
JediSkipdogg wrote: Look at the following image. Which is correct?

I use to have a decent gun group picture that showed a group of gun people from the side and one from the front. It was actually taken at the same time by two different media stations. The front showed the group posing. The side view showed them about to fight a battle.

My point is, perception and what we believe we see plays a large part in what one may tell a 911 dispatcher. Therefore, it's nearly impossible to know if the person is truly seeing what they think they see or not. That is why it is key to ask them throughout the call if anything changes to get them to repeat the story and maybe they saw it differently and their perception changed. Does it mean they are lying? Good luck proving that in court.
While I agree in general with what you've just said, if someone perceives that bassoon as a gun they either need an eye exam (not criminal) or they need to lay off the hallucinogenic drugs. :roll:
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:While I agree in general with what you've just said, if someone perceives that bassoon as a gun they either need an eye exam (not criminal) or they need to lay off the hallucinogenic drugs. :roll:
My understanding was they thought it was a bazooka. I would agree, still far, but plausible (as mythbusters use to call it)

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.