Autistic student arrested for playing with "imaginary rifle"

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Autistic student arrested for playing with "imaginary rifle"

Post by bignflnut »

CONROE, Texas (FOX 26) - Handcuffed and hauled away. It happened Monday to a 5th grade autistic student at Conroe Independent School District's Bozman Intermediate school.

The offense alleged against 12-year-old David Sims is brandishing an "imaginary" rifle at his art teacher, an educator who apparently felt threatened.

"She (CISD Police Officer) just put handcuffs on me and told me I need to go with her," said David Sims.

"They just said, 'We don't tolerate that. We take it as a threat.' A threat? He didn't threaten anyone. He didn't do anything but play," said Amy Sims, David's mother.
photo

Amy Sims says she wasn't notified of the classroom incident until after her son was in custody. Like many students challenged with autism, Amy says her son simply didn't understand "make believe" gunplay on campus has become inappropriate behavior.

"Being put in handcuffs, not knowing what he did wrong, I could have had a talk with him and told him look, I know you like to play guns, but you can't do it in school," said Amy Sims.

David spent two hours and eleven minutes at the Juvenile Detention Center. Montgomery County Attorney J.D. Lambright says given his age and disability it's likely criminal charges can be avoided.

"We want to get them turned around and on the right path," said Lambright.
The "right path" is what it's all about, friends. By what authority do we declare the standard be upheld over the lives of others?

File this under "Brave" or "Free"?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798