Man shot by dog while roughhousing - bellyband

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Man shot by dog while roughhousing - bellyband

Post by Bruenor »

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local ... g-shot-me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I carry. It’s a Ruger 9 mm, and it’s got a safety on it,” Remme said. “I was lying on the couch, and we were horsing around, me and the dog. And I was tossing him off my lap, and he was jumping back on my lap.

“And I carry in a belly band, under my bib overalls. And apparently he bumped the safety one time, and when he bounded back over one of his toes went right down into the trigger guard.

“It has a trigger safety as well as a thumb safety, and he managed to hit both of them, and it discharged and went into my leg, did no major damage to anything.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
jeep45238

Re: Man shot by dog while roughhousing - bellyband

Post by jeep45238 »

I cannot stress the importance of a good holster that protects the trigger. Soft cloth doesn’t do that, hard kydex and leather does.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Yeah right..I don't believe his story.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I am inclined to agree, carmen - that's just a freakish set of just-right circumstances........,

But hey, "freak accidents" are by-definition freakish, right? :lol:

True or not, I think the real lesson to be had here is that there's always compromises in how we choose to legally conceal-carry: and it is up to us as responsible gun owners and shooters to understand what these compromises are, and modify our behavior to-suit.

-----

jeep45238 wrote:Soft cloth doesn’t do that, hard kydex and leather does.
To tag along with this -

Even for those of us who favor hardened synthetic, Kydex/Boltaron/polymer-plastic and also quality leather holsters (some of the lesser-quality ones are every bit as flimsy as a holster made of printer paper :P ), there needs to be a realization that the holster is and always will be a wear-item.

Even the best leather will degrade over time, and while typically immune to the factors which causes leather to fail from age/use, polymer-plastic and hardened nylon holsters can still incur damage that may render the holster either immediately or eventually unsafe.

Always inspect your gear. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I change my Serpa about every 4 years....I like leather but hate the break in period....
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I change my Serpa about every 4 years....I like leather but hate the break in period....
Even better to get rid of the Serpa completely - I've seen too many issues with the lock mechanism NOT releasing either due to user error or foreign debris, in addition to where many user's fingers wind up during a hurried draw (on the trigger) and this tends to make it much easier to shoot one's self.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

yada yada yada...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Yeah right..I don't believe his story.
Hey, the dog's not denying it. ;)

Seriously, unless the Ruger has an ambi safety, if the person carrying is right handed, (as the majority of people are) wouldn't the safety be facing the persons body, and therefore wouldn't be flipped down by pressure from outside the body?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote: Seriously, unless the Ruger has an ambi safety, if the person carrying is right handed, (as the majority of people are) wouldn't the safety be facing the persons body, and therefore wouldn't be flipped down by pressure from outside the body?
Fat, flesh, and skin squishes around as it moves (think Homer Simpson! :lol: ), and the fabric of the holster itself can do weird things, too.

I'm not gonna say that this person lied, but as carmen noted, it's a heck of a coincidence.....

Besides, like you said, the dog ain't gonna claim otherwise. :P
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Am I the only one that finds it funny that the first picture in the article is of the "K-9" unit?

:lol:

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Apparently they are trying to get the Dog to talk..but I don't see any doggie treats anywhere.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

For you, carmen -

-----
sodbuster95 wrote:Am I the only one that finds it funny that the first picture in the article is of the "K-9" unit?
:lol: :lol:

I missed that!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bad joke alert:

One afternoon in the Old West, a dog limped noticeably into the local saloon. He gets to the middle of the room, stops, and scans from one end of the bar to another. This is strange enough that everyone notices, and stops talking. The dog suddenly speaks..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

"I'm looking for the man who shot my paw!"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol: :lol: