Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, any modular firearm system is at risk because "component vs. accessory"?

You don't need sights or optics to fire a gun...banned.

You don't need rubberized handgrips to fire a gun...banned.

Heck, they could ban decorative engraving on guns...because it's not a 'component'.
MyWifeSaidYes
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, any modular firearm system is at risk because "component vs. accessory"?

You don't need sights or optics to fire a gun...banned.

You don't need rubberized handgrips to fire a gun...banned.

Heck, they could ban decorative engraving on guns...because it's not a 'component'.
Since we are taking about AR-15s here...a short list of things most ARs have that they don’t “need” to function:
Pistol grip
Hand guards of any kind
Carry handle
Stock of any kind
Flash hider/muzzle device of any kind
Sights of any kind

Now do we see how stupid this is? The “functionality test” is an absurd legal argument that any judge with a brain will chuck out the window in short order. Ah...but we have a politician with an ego looking to direct the spotlight his own way...
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Morne wrote:Now do we see how stupid this is? The “functionality test” is an absurd legal argument that any judge with a brain will chuck out the window in short order. Ah...but we have a politician with an ego looking to direct the spotlight his own way...
Technically you don't need calipers, gauze, or sutures to perform an abortion. Nonetheless I'm quite sure that if some city tried to ban those they wouldn't even make it past the summary judgment phase.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A little pub...
Two Second Amendment advocacy groups have told Cincinnati they could sue over the bump stock ban passed by City Council Wednesday.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC) and the Buckeye Firearms Association have both sent letters to the city suggesting it could face expensive litigation.

SNIP

In a letter to the city solicitor dated April 16, OFCC said it has been successful in lawsuits against Oberlin and Cleveland regarding preemption.

Philip Mulivor, director of media relations for OFCC, said Sittenfeld was making an "artificial and erroneous distinction" when it comes to bump stocks.

“This is just another example of an Ohio city becoming lawless," Mulivor said.

Mulivor said his organization was keeping its litigation plans secret for the moment, but noted in the past OFCC has "very aggressively sought legal relief.”

“The problem with that is it costs the taxpayers,” Mulivor said. “It’s a very unfair position to put local taxpayers in.”
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Nope. The voters put/keep these jackwagons in office, let them suffer the consequences of their actions.
bignflnut wrote:A little pub...
[url=https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2 ... 598772002/]
“The problem with that is it costs the taxpayers,” Mulivor said. “It’s a very unfair position to put local taxpayers in.”
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If anybody lives inside the Cincy city limits, would you kindly contact me via PM?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Is this only for subjects (residents) of the 7 hills fifedom? What happens if a lowly peasant wanderer from a free village happens through the lordship's dale, perhaps to rest horsey, refill water gourd, porridge.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WhyNot wrote:Is this only for subjects (residents) of the 7 hills fifedom? What happens if a lowly peasant wanderer from a free village happens through the lordship's dale, perhaps to rest horsey, refill water gourd, porridge.
It's about having legal standing in the eyes of the court system. Much easier to make that standard if a plaintiff lives inside Cincinnati proper to begin with. The only reason I know about that is, back when Cincy had an Assault weapons ban, I lived in a community next door, because of the residency requirement of my FD job. I literally couldn't get to a range without passing through Cincinnati. Hence, sometimes I was transporting/ in possession of "illegal firearms". The gun rights groups back then wanted a plaintiff for a test case, but their lawyers wanted an actual Cincinnati residentt to play the part. Those same attorneys also couldn't guarantee that any detention I suffered would be brief or without peril. Plus, my employers probably would have piled other problems on my plate.

In retrospect, I should have done it anyway.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Wouldn't legal standing in front of a court in any situation be, the accused was wrongfully accused, and subsequently harmed?
Harmed could be simply not being able to go about your business. With the Cincy cure-to-all-crimes, I don't think they would give the accused back their rightful property. Just can't have a record where you gave the item you loath back to one person, and then not the next person. Next being, an actual subject of the dale.

Or in the affairs of the anecdotal traveler I :P mentioned, WHERE IS THE HORSE. Did you say Hulu or Gluewho? Whaaaat :?: :!:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

catfish86 wrote:The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.
Careful, they might come after belt loops and rubber bands next...
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

That's not true!! Rubber bands and belt loops are Ok , the recent Djoser, er DoJ (pun :P intended) 55 page proposal says so! They don't want that well at least for now 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote:The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.
They may be diluted enough to believe that they are, actually, making society safer.
Belt loops or not. Don't put it aside. Belt loops are next to be regulated...toilets, gas mileage, etc already are...don't underestimate their hubris.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As an aside, during that session Cincinnati city council had another proposed ordinance/ resolution in which they would no longer recognize carry licenses issued by other states.
Not sure that one came to a vote, sounds like it wouldn't have passed. Just the fact it was proposed, and passed preliminary scrutiny of the city solicitors office, is troubling enough.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Brian D. wrote:As an aside, during that session Cincinnati city council had another proposed ordinance/ resolution in which they would no longer recognize carry licenses issued by other states.
Not sure that one came to a vote, sounds like it wouldn't have passed. Just the fact it was proposed, and passed preliminary scrutiny of the city solicitors office, is troubling enough.
I hadn't heard this. They are trying to create their own little California down there. I hate that I do so much work in that city...
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe