Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby MyWifeSaidYes » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 pm

So, any modular firearm system is at risk because "component vs. accessory"?

You don't need sights or optics to fire a gun...banned.

You don't need rubberized handgrips to fire a gun...banned.

Heck, they could ban decorative engraving on guns...because it's not a 'component'.
MyWifeSaidYes
User avatar
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5398
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby Morne » Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 am

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, any modular firearm system is at risk because "component vs. accessory"?

You don't need sights or optics to fire a gun...banned.

You don't need rubberized handgrips to fire a gun...banned.

Heck, they could ban decorative engraving on guns...because it's not a 'component'.

Since we are taking about AR-15s here...a short list of things most ARs have that they don’t “need” to function:
Pistol grip
Hand guards of any kind
Carry handle
Stock of any kind
Flash hider/muzzle device of any kind
Sights of any kind

Now do we see how stupid this is? The “functionality test” is an absurd legal argument that any judge with a brain will chuck out the window in short order. Ah...but we have a politician with an ego looking to direct the spotlight his own way...
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
User avatar
Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 10438
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Wayne County

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby djthomas » Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 am

Morne wrote:Now do we see how stupid this is? The “functionality test” is an absurd legal argument that any judge with a brain will chuck out the window in short order. Ah...but we have a politician with an ego looking to direct the spotlight his own way...

Technically you don't need calipers, gauze, or sutures to perform an abortion. Nonetheless I'm quite sure that if some city tried to ban those they wouldn't even make it past the summary judgment phase.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby bignflnut » Fri May 11, 2018 10:17 am

A little pub...

Two Second Amendment advocacy groups have told Cincinnati they could sue over the bump stock ban passed by City Council Wednesday.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC) and the Buckeye Firearms Association have both sent letters to the city suggesting it could face expensive litigation.

SNIP

In a letter to the city solicitor dated April 16, OFCC said it has been successful in lawsuits against Oberlin and Cleveland regarding preemption.

Philip Mulivor, director of media relations for OFCC, said Sittenfeld was making an "artificial and erroneous distinction" when it comes to bump stocks.

“This is just another example of an Ohio city becoming lawless," Mulivor said.

Mulivor said his organization was keeping its litigation plans secret for the moment, but noted in the past OFCC has "very aggressively sought legal relief.”

“The problem with that is it costs the taxpayers,” Mulivor said. “It’s a very unfair position to put local taxpayers in.”
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm
Location: Where Black Sheep and Black Swamps meet

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby WY_Not » Fri May 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Nope. The voters put/keep these jackwagons in office, let them suffer the consequences of their actions.

bignflnut wrote:A little pub...

[url=https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/05/10/groups-prepared-sue-cincinnati-over-bump-stock-ban/598772002/]
“The problem with that is it costs the taxpayers,” Mulivor said. “It’s a very unfair position to put local taxpayers in.”
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby Chuck » Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 pm

If anybody lives inside the Cincy city limits, would you kindly contact me via PM?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
User avatar
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Licking County

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby WhyNot » Sat May 12, 2018 6:14 am

Is this only for subjects (residents) of the 7 hills fifedom? What happens if a lowly peasant wanderer from a free village happens through the lordship's dale, perhaps to rest horsey, refill water gourd, porridge.
Acquisitions thus far:

Slingshot
Butter knife
sharpened pencil
Newspaper roll
water balloon (diversionary)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby Brian D. » Sat May 12, 2018 12:00 pm

WhyNot wrote:Is this only for subjects (residents) of the 7 hills fifedom? What happens if a lowly peasant wanderer from a free village happens through the lordship's dale, perhaps to rest horsey, refill water gourd, porridge.


It's about having legal standing in the eyes of the court system. Much easier to make that standard if a plaintiff lives inside Cincinnati proper to begin with. The only reason I know about that is, back when Cincy had an Assault weapons ban, I lived in a community next door, because of the residency requirement of my FD job. I literally couldn't get to a range without passing through Cincinnati. Hence, sometimes I was transporting/ in possession of "illegal firearms". The gun rights groups back then wanted a plaintiff for a test case, but their lawyers wanted an actual Cincinnati residentt to play the part. Those same attorneys also couldn't guarantee that any detention I suffered would be brief or without peril. Plus, my employers probably would have piled other problems on my plate.

In retrospect, I should have done it anyway.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14613
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby WhyNot » Sun May 13, 2018 6:29 am

Wouldn't legal standing in front of a court in any situation be, the accused was wrongfully accused, and subsequently harmed?
Harmed could be simply not being able to go about your business. With the Cincy cure-to-all-crimes, I don't think they would give the accused back their rightful property. Just can't have a record where you gave the item you loath back to one person, and then not the next person. Next being, an actual subject of the dale.

Or in the affairs of the anecdotal traveler I :P mentioned, WHERE IS THE HORSE. Did you say Hulu or Gluewho? Whaaaat :?: :!:
Acquisitions thus far:

Slingshot
Butter knife
sharpened pencil
Newspaper roll
water balloon (diversionary)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby catfish86 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:18 pm

The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
User avatar
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby TJW815 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 pm

catfish86 wrote:The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.


Careful, they might come after belt loops and rubber bands next...
User avatar
TJW815
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm
Location: Warren County

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby WhyNot » Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 am

That's not true!! Rubber bands and belt loops are Ok , the recent Djoser, er DoJ (pun :P intended) 55 page proposal says so! They don't want that well at least for now 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

Slingshot
Butter knife
sharpened pencil
Newspaper roll
water balloon (diversionary)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby bignflnut » Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 am

catfish86 wrote:The ridiculous part of it, a bump stock is just a slightly more sophisticated version of looping your thumb through a belt loop. They are not preventing anyone from using that technique.


They may be diluted enough to believe that they are, actually, making society safer.
Belt loops or not. Don't put it aside. Belt loops are next to be regulated...toilets, gas mileage, etc already are...don't underestimate their hubris.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 6130
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm
Location: Where Black Sheep and Black Swamps meet

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby Brian D. » Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

As an aside, during that session Cincinnati city council had another proposed ordinance/ resolution in which they would no longer recognize carry licenses issued by other states.
Not sure that one came to a vote, sounds like it wouldn't have passed. Just the fact it was proposed, and passed preliminary scrutiny of the city solicitors office, is troubling enough.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14613
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Postby fyrfytr310 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Brian D. wrote:As an aside, during that session Cincinnati city council had another proposed ordinance/ resolution in which they would no longer recognize carry licenses issued by other states.
Not sure that one came to a vote, sounds like it wouldn't have passed. Just the fact it was proposed, and passed preliminary scrutiny of the city solicitors office, is troubling enough.


I hadn't heard this. They are trying to create their own little California down there. I hate that I do so much work in that city...
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
User avatar
fyrfytr310
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Hamilton, OH

PreviousNext

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 147Doc, havegunwilltravel and 9 guests