No charges in CVS shooting in Florida

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

No charges in CVS shooting in Florida

Post by M-Quigley »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/05/04/gr ... -shooting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The store’s surveillance video shows Barry trying to get away from Smith as he pursued him around several different displays.

Barry shot Smith repeatedly after he rushed him and grabbed at him.

“Barry, who is legally licensed to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida, retrieved that weapon and shot it several times, ultimately killing Smith,“ said Engle.

From the beginning, Davie police, according to a source close to the investigation, had reason to believe the shooting was a case of self-defense. They interviewed Barry and multiple witnesses at length. They did not arrest Barry, leaving the matter to the state attorney’s office which took it to a grand jury that apparently concluded Barry was in fear for his life.

“They clearly said that there was no evidence to bring forward a criminal charge,“ Engle said Friday.

After her son’s killing, Smith’s mother went public, demanding answers. Now that the shooter has been officially cleared, Andrea Smith is declining to talk about it.

“I have nothing to say right now. I was instructed by my attorney not to speak to the media,“ Smith’s mother told CBS4 News Friday.

As of late Friday afternoon, attorneys representing Smith’s family, as well as Barry’s attorney, had not responded to repeated requests for comment.

A spokesperson for the Broward state attorney’s office would only say that the security video makes it clear why the grand jury reached the conclusion it did.

While Barry was cleared by grand jurors, a civil lawsuit is pending.
:roll: