ATF agent wounded in Chicago

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

ATF agent wounded in Chicago

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A federal agent was shot in the face early Friday while working undercover in a joint mission with Chicago police officers on the South Side, authorities said.

The agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was wounded around 3:15 a.m. near 44th Street and Hermitage Avenue in the Back of the Yards, not far from Davis Square Park, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, but officials said his injury was not considered life-threatening.
At the time of the article the shooter was still on the loose. No information at the time of the article about who the suspect is.
No one was in custody.

The agent was part of a strike force formed last June to cut the flow of illegal guns into Chicago and crack down on people repeatedly arrested on gun charges, officials said. Twenty ATF agents were assigned to the task force, along with 20 officers from the Chicago Police Department and the Illinois state police.

In Back of the Yards, the ATF agents have teamed with Chicago police to investigate gang-related rifle shootings that have become more common in that area over the last two years. The Tribune has reported that more than 140 people have been shot — 50 of them fatally — from the fall of 2016 to the end of 2017 by gang members wielding rifles as their use spread across the South and Southwest sides.

Officials said the agent was shot during an investigation of illegal guns, but no details were available.
By sunrise, groups of ATF agents and Chicago police officers -- at least two of them high-ranking department officials--- walked up and down 44th Street near the shooting. Gusts of wind shook yellow crime tape as children with backpacks headed to school.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: ATF agent wounded in Chicago

Post by Javelin Man »

And if they try forced gun confiscation on previously law-abiding citizens, er, subjects, how many ATF agents will be sacrificed?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Javelin Man wrote:And if they try forced gun confiscation on previously law-abiding citizens, er, subjects, how many ATF agents will be sacrificed?
Every last one of them. They have the choice, nay, duty to disregard unlawful orders.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

From the post / article cited above, my emphasis in color...

''The agent was part of a strike force formed last June to cut the flow of illegal guns into Chicago and crack down on people repeatedly arrested on gun charges, officials said.''
''In Back of the Yards, the ATF agents have teamed with Chicago police to investigate gang-related rifle shootings that have become more common in that area over the last two years. The Tribune has reported that more than 140 people have been shot — 50 of them fatally — from the fall of 2016 to the end of 2017 by gang members wielding rifles as their use spread across the South and Southwest sides.

Officials said the agent was shot during an investigation ...''

I see this example as where the BATFEs were doing the right thing? I'm sure there's other time were said staff acted inappropriate, (-) comments best for those events?

Speedy recovery & best wishes for the injured agent
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:I see this example as where the BATFEs were doing the right thing? I'm sure there's other time were said staff acted inappropriate, (-) comments best for those events?

Speedy recovery & best wishes for the injured agent
When I read the article I thought it sounded like the ATF was doing exactly what Trump and the NRA have both said on previous occasions, which is enforce current law, particularly against repeat offenders. The key thing is though, arresting and prosecuting criminals won't by itself work. Chicago also needs to change its past catch and release sentencing for violent offenses. I recall one news story where a murderers family was complaining that the 3 years he served was too long, and implied racism for it. :roll:
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

And there is ZERO chance the gangs were tipped off by the Chicago PD about the identity of the ATF agent.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Apparently some residents weren't too happy with the Chicago police response to the shooting of the ATF agent, particularly since there have been 50 shootings in the last 7 days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-gu ... 018-05-06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The recent warm weather may have played a role in the crime surge. After a frigid first four months of 2018, the city had seen a 22 percent drop in murders -- and a 26-percent decrease in shootings -- compared with the same period last year, according to the Chicago Police Department.

But this week's gun violence seems to have put an end to safer streets.

Since Saturday morning, bullets killed two men and wounded 16 others, including a 12-year-old boy. Some other 28 people were shot since Friday, totaling at least 54 shootings this week.
"I've ordered specialized units in the area to ensure the safety of the community residents and to conduct a manhunt for anyone involved in this reprehensible crime," Eddie T. Johnson, superintendent of the Chicago Police Department, said in response to the shooting.

Hundreds of officers are searching for suspects.

"They came in through the door. A lot of agents," a local business owner told CBS News.

But the focus on finding the person involved in the ATF agent's attack has infuriated some local residents.

They say gunfire in their neighborhoods happens daily, but they don't see the same police response.

"Just because you're wearing a badge, it matters more? How do you think that makes us feel?" one protester asked.
Chicago police say they want to build relationships with residents in that neighborhood. More than $60,000 is being offered as a reward for any information leading to an arrest in the atf agent's shooting.
Maybe the Chicago police should've started to build a relationship with residents before now.

Some good news in the article.
The ATF agent is expected to make a full recovery.