website search function may have encouraged illegal gun sale

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

website search function may have encouraged illegal gun sale

Post by Bruenor »

Guess that's like "The store had money in the register, it encouraged the robber to stick them up"
http://www.guns.com/2018/04/20/wisconsi ... o-proceed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Wisconsin appeals panel reversed a lower court decision this week dismissing a 2015 lawsuit against Armslist, instead allowing for the case to proceed.

In the 24-page ruling issued Thursday, Judge Brian Blanchard said the federal Communications Decency Act doesn’t shield Armslist from liability “arising from its own conduct in facilitating user activity,” agreeing the website’s search functions may have encouraged an illegal gun transfer between a private seller and a prohibited buyer who later used the firearm to murder three people, including his estranged wife.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: website search function may have encouraged illegal gun

Post by schmieg »

Sounds like this may develop into a First Amendment case.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

If I understand the appeals court decision correctly (and maybe I don't) this decision could apply to any third party entity that allows searches for guns for sale. :?:
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Jury selection going to be mighty important on this one, if it gets that far.

I don’t see the Brady bunch allowing a settlement that doesn’t include shuttering the Armslist site.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

M-Quigley wrote:If I understand the appeals court decision correctly (and maybe I don't) this decision could apply to any third party entity that allows searches for guns for sale. :?:
That would include this forum.