Has it REALLY come to this?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Has it REALLY come to this?

Post by bignflnut »

Seven students at an elementary school in Prince George’s County cut their wrists at school using blades from pencil sharpeners, according to officials.

Officials with Prince George’s County Public Schools said a concerned parent at William Paca Elementary School in Hyattsville came forward on March 29 and an investigation was launched.

It was revealed that the students used blades out of pencil sharpeners to cut themselves, officials stated.

All seven students were seen by the school nurse and none of the children were taken to the hospital, according to officials. School counselors were brought in to speak with the students.
Is David Hogg on this? Is there a national march against ASSAULT pencil sharpener blades scheduled? Does BIG PENCIL have blood on their hands and control Congress with dirty money?

Seriously, can you guess what happened next?
Officials announced a ban on pencil sharpeners at the school in a message sent to parents on March 29...
Because in the interest of safety, anything can and will be banned, instantly; after somebody misuses the product for a harmful purpose.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Has it REALLY come to this?

Post by kcclark »

My kids' elementary school banned these pencil sharpeners at least nine years ago. I volunteered to help with the school store. We had a load of different pencil sharpeners. Person in charge told me we were not allowed to sell them because the principal had banned them because kids could take them apart to get to the cutting blade. I was unimpressed since I carried my Cub Scout knife during most of my elementary school days.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

May I say once again that I am happy that my daughter attends a school where pocket knives are actually encouraged? Of course, the middle school and high school are essentially on a farm, so such tools are often of use.

Not that it's perfect. She was considering suggesting starting a rifle club, but decided that would be a bit too much for this audience, especially in what we are all now calling "the current climate".
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Raising them the right way Jonas.....hats off to you and the Misses...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Raising them the right way Jonas.....hats off to you and the Misses...
I second that!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I think it is really ironic that in ostensibly trying to keep our kids "safer," we're actually failing miserably at truly making them so - that all of this shielding and insulation is actually making them less aware and less knowledgeable of the real world.

I'd love to take Anna to one of these:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... ty/495371/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but luckily (or horrifically? :oops: :lol: ), all I have to do is open my garage doors. Meh, she's had her tetanus and knows how/when to use a tourniquet.... :mrgreen:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Exactly. Instead of banning anything and everything that might be misused perhaps quit coddling them and teach them to actually think and do and deal with reality and the real world rather than crumbling at the mere sight of an inanimate object.
TSiWRX wrote:I think it is really ironic that in ostensibly trying to keep our kids "safer," we're actually failing miserably at truly making them so - that all of this shielding and insulation is actually making them less aware and less knowledgeable of the real world.

I'd love to take Anna to one of these:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... ty/495371/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but luckily (or horrifically? :oops: :lol: ), all I have to do is open my garage doors. Meh, she's had her tetanus and knows how/when to use a tourniquet.... :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.