Dicks goes full imbecile - Destroys AR & Accy inventory

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Dicks goes full imbecile - Destroys AR & Accy inventory

Post by Bruenor »

Amazing, doubling down on their previous moves. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/mo ... 1804060151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When Dick’s Sporting Goods said it would no longer sell modern sporting rifles at its Field & Stream stores following the Valentine’s Day shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school, one question was what would happen to the unsold firearms in its inventory.

Typically a retailer may return unsold merchandise to the manufacturer. But in this case, Dick’s Sporting Goods has decided to destroy them.

“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change,” a spokeswoman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.”

The so-called assault-style rifles will be destroyed at the company’s distribution centers and the parts sent to a salvage company to be recycled, the Findlay-based retailer added. The company did not say how much merchandise would be included.
Wonder what scrapping tens / hundreds of thousands of dollars of sell-able inventory does to a company's net worth.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
xxxamishxxx

Re: Dicks goes full imbecile - Destroys AR & Accy inventory

Post by xxxamishxxx »

hope it starts the process of bankrupting them
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Bruenor wrote:Wonder what scrapping tens / hundreds of thousands of dollars of sell-able inventory does to a company's net worth.
To a company with a market cap of 3.5 billion? Half of a rounding error.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I suppose I should be reading some of those prospectuses I get to make sure there's no Dick's in my funds.

Funny though... I have always thought Dick's was named for the original owner. In never occurred to me it's named after the mindset of the owners.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

They had MSRs in only 35 Field & Stream stores, not like that could be a ton of product.

And they’ll probably just bill it back to the manufacturers as “defective goods”.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Mr. Glock wrote:They had MSRs in only 35 Field & Stream stores, not like that could be a ton of product.

And they’ll probably just bill it back to the manufacturers as “defective goods”.
And no doubt get a tax break for it.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:They had MSRs in only 35 Field & Stream stores, not like that could be a ton of product.

How can they bill it back if they intentionally damage it, as they claim?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

A caller on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk show suggested Dick's donate them to small police departments that need them but cannot afford them. That would allow them to get rid of them and get some positive PR out of their absolutely stupid stunt.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

M-Quigley wrote:

Oh, virtue signalling really has no limits. Why didn’t they just ship them back?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Mr. Glock wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

Oh, virtue signalling really has no limits. Why didn’t they just ship them back?

Because then it would be contrary to their pr stance of no MSR’s, as they are allowing them to stay in circulation.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Why not just buy some more to destroy so they won't end up in anyone's hands! Would be about as insane.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote: Oh, virtue signalling really has no limits. Why didn’t they just ship them back?
I guess this shows you what an internet dinosaur I am. I didn't know there was a term for it (virtual signaling) until you mentioned it and I looked it up.

There were some people (3) who destroyed their guns and showed it online in some attempt to start a #oneless movement I guess, but one of the people who responded showed what was basically a field stripped AR and claim he "destroyed it" Last I saw he had 239 likes. :lol:
You can show that pic to any typical anti gunner and they won't get it though. Heck, you could probably just separate the upper from the lower and tell most anti gunners you've "cut the gun in half" and they wouldn't know the difference either. :(
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Cruiser wrote:Why not just buy some more to destroy so they won't end up in anyone's hands! Would be about as insane.
I would hate to see that, unless maybe they're paying full retail. They can buy wholesale, while I can't. While it might help the manufacturers and distributors bottom line, that might cause the prices to go up for real customers.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote: Oh, virtue signalling really has no limits. Why didn’t they just ship them back?
I guess this shows you what an internet dinosaur I am. I didn't know there was a term for it (virtual signaling) until you mentioned it and I looked it up.

There were some people (3) who destroyed their guns and showed it online in some attempt to start a #oneless movement I guess, but one of the people who responded showed what was basically a field stripped AR and claim he "destroyed it" Last I saw he had 239 likes. :lol:
You can show that pic to any typical anti gunner and they won't get it though. Heck, you could probably just separate the upper from the lower and tell most anti gunners you've "cut the gun in half" and they wouldn't know the difference either. :(
My favorites is the one that cut the AR15's barrel in half in a youtube video and said it was destroyed. Hey guy, that's an SBR, do you have a stamp for that ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Bruenor wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

My favorites is the one that cut the AR15's barrel in half in a youtube video and said it was destroyed. Hey guy, that's an SBR, do you have a stamp for that ?
If it's the same one I'm thinking of (they guy had it for 30 yrs) shouldn't his video be banned according to youtubes new guidelines? After all he's showing an illegal modification. :wink:

If anyone has a minute and a half to watch it, here is an interesting #oneless youtube video. From 0-1:20 it's a little speech and then destruction, but from 1:20-1:30 there is a ten second cell phone video of a criminal which explains why he is doing what he doing. Listening carefully to what he's saying, and later seeing the cell phone video, I can understand why he did what he did. I don't want to say any more than that, no spoilers. :wink: If anyone starts to watch it please just try to watch it with an open mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sTl1RBKRhE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;