Dicks goes full imbecile - Destroys AR & Accy inventory

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dcludwig

Re: Dicks goes full imbecile - Destroys AR & Accy inventory

Post by dcludwig »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote: Oh, virtue signalling really has no limits. Why didn’t they just ship them back?
I guess this shows you what an internet dinosaur I am. I didn't know there was a term for it (virtual signaling) until you mentioned it and I looked it up.

There were some people (3) who destroyed their guns and showed it online in some attempt to start a #oneless movement I guess, but one of the people who responded showed what was basically a field stripped AR and claim he "destroyed it" Last I saw he had 239 likes. :lol:
You can show that pic to any typical anti gunner and they won't get it though. Heck, you could probably just separate the upper from the lower and tell most anti gunners you've "cut the gun in half" and they wouldn't know the difference either. :(
You could chain saw an Air Soft in half and 99% of the anti's wouldn't know the differenc
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

I'm sure stockholders are all giddy about it. They've never been huge 2A supporters, just making a few bucks selling some firearms as they sell much more than that. But virtually every gun owner I know that shops there for miscellaneous outdoor equipment, tell me they won't be back - not even for a sleeping bag. I think it will bite them harder than they think. I did buy a Mossberg there about 10 years ago, but that's about the last thing. I just didn't care for there help (much like the local Gander Mountain - young clerks more anxious to flirt with female customers than provide service. And yeah, Dick's is an appropriate name (I did make the mistake of Googling that once - not the best results from that search)
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I was up in arms over Dicks and Wally's stance until one of my clients who owns a small gun shop came in. Had a hard time finding time to get his taxes done because he was slammed with sales of AR15s which he previously struggled to compete against the big box price machines. They are also having an easier time getting supplied.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

dcludwig wrote:I'm sure stockholders are all giddy about it. They've never been huge 2A supporters, just making a few bucks selling some firearms as they sell much more than that. But virtually every gun owner I know that shops there for miscellaneous outdoor equipment, tell me they won't be back - not even for a sleeping bag. I think it will bite them harder than they think. I did buy a Mossberg there about 10 years ago, but that's about the last thing. I just didn't care for there help (much like the local Gander Mountain - young clerks more anxious to flirt with female customers than provide service. And yeah, Dick's is an appropriate name (I did make the mistake of Googling that once - not the best results from that search)
Regarding the bolded, you may be right, at least at my nearest Dick's store. I had to recently do some shopping at a store in the same shopping center as Dick's sporting goods. Since I was already at the shopping center anyway, I popped inside just to see what was on sale, how crowded they were, etc. I went through the entire store and I was literally the only customer I could see at that time. Everyone else was employees. Now perhaps I just caught them at a slow time, but all the other businesses in that shopping center had customers at that time of day.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I stopped shopping there (both Dick’s and FnS) after they pulled ARs off the shelf the first
time (at Dicks). You want to cash in when times are good, but then pull right out? Your choice, But I shop at friendly stores only, not hypocrites.

And I buy a lot of shooting, camping and athletic gear. A whole lot.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

My previous assessment of Dick's sporting goods may have been an anomaly that night. I went through the store again last night at about the same time, and there were a whopping 8 people (not counting myself) who appeared to be potential shoppers. Six were looking at clothing items, and 2 were looking at fishing gear. I didn't actually see anyone buying anything, but I wasn't in there that long.

Some might say that retail sales are down in general, particularly for speciality stores, due to internet sales. While that's probably true, I've also been in other retail speciality stores that would be considered competitors to Dicks, and all of them had more customers, some of them actually buying stuff, than what I've seen at Dick's sporting goods.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I kind of wrote Dicks off when they opened an anchor store at Crocker Park, which is prominently posted at each entrance claiming that firearms are prohibited on the property. When asked how, precisely, I as a potential customer of their firearms department was supposed to follow the law should I choose to buy a gun there I got a canned response to the effect of customers are responsible for following all local, state, and federal laws concerning the transportation of firearms purchased from our stores. I finally got escalated to someone in their Legal department I pointed out that their entire store was breaking the law by having firearms on prohibited premises. I suggested they talk to Stark Management (in hopes of getting the signs taken down). She promised to get back to me.

A few weeks go by and I finally get a call back. The response was to the effect of if you still have concerns we encourage you to visit our North Olmsted or Midway Mall locations.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Not to hijack this thread, but how are the Fin, Feather, & Fur locations doing?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

AlanM wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but how are the Fin, Feather, & Fur locations doing?
Always seem busy on the weekends, but I’m not there all that often.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

Well being in a family and friends circle that is constantly buying firearms of all kinds, I can think of absolutely zero that were purchased from Dicks. Just a PR statement for them, cant imagine they made much off of the sales otherwise they'd never do this.