Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher brought gun to school

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher brought gun to school

Post by bignflnut »

A Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher and shooting survivor was arrested and charged after he allegedly left his pistol in a public restroom, where it was later fired, police said.

Sean Simpson, who was at the Parkland, Florida, high school in February when 17 people were shot and killed, left his loaded firearm in a bathroom stall at the Deerfield Beach Pier on Sunday, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.

The science teacher told police he went back to retrieve the gun and found it in the hands of a homeless man who appeared intoxicated. Joseph Spataro, 69, had picked it up and fired it into a wall, according to police records.
God Bless Simpson.

Unalienable Rights.

Why is there a drunk homeless guy in the school?
Just how bad is the security in this place?
I'd carry too, aside from all the media attention, if there were drunk hobos flowing around the halls.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Re: Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher brought gun to school

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
Why is there a drunk homeless guy in the school?
Just how bad is the security in this place?
I'd carry too, aside from all the media attention, if there were drunk hobos flowing around the halls.
That's not what the article says at all. It has nothing to do with the school, other than now this incident will be misused by the other side an an excuse to justify their decision not to allow school staff to carry inside the school.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Sounds like he was at a park on Sunday, and left it in the stall in a public restroom of the park.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Yeah. Wow. How did I miss that?
So, this teacher did NOT bring the gun to and leave it at school.

Mah fault.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Reading Is Fundamental. :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Whether this happened in the school or not this is not helpful. I doubt that we would even be hearing about this had he not been a teacher at that particular school. Apparently leaving guns behind in restrooms is not as uncommon as it should be. I have never done so but it is something I am always fearful of doing when having to use the facilities.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I don't understand removing the gun from the holster in a restroom, in the first place. What kind of crappy holster are you using that your gun won't stay put when you drop your britches ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:I don't understand removing the gun from the holster in a restroom, in the first place. What kind of crappy holster are you using that your gun won't stay put when you drop your britches ?
A lot do it, because the gun + holster then causes one's belt to fall all the way to the floor. I would say of my 13 years in law enforcement, we've maybe gotten five guns left in restrooms. Sometimes they are returned. I'm still puzzled at the two or three that haven't been picked up.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bruenor wrote:I don't understand removing the gun from the holster in a restroom, in the first place. What kind of crappy holster are you using that your gun won't stay put when you drop your britches ?
A lot do it, because the gun + holster then causes one's belt to fall all the way to the floor. I would say of my 13 years in law enforcement, we've maybe gotten five guns left in restrooms. Sometimes they are returned. I'm still puzzled at the two or three that haven't been picked up.
Those who left the guns behind may believe they'd be charged with a crime if they came to retrieve them from the P.D.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Brian D. wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Those who left the guns behind may believe they'd be charged with a crime if they came to retrieve them from the P.D.
I can think of several reasons why someone would not attempt to retrieve a gun from the police. They could be a felon, underage or too embarrassed. Maybe they were an underage embarrassed felon?
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cosmos wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:A lot do it, because the gun + holster then causes one's belt to fall all the way to the floor. I would say of my 13 years in law enforcement, we've maybe gotten five guns left in restrooms. Sometimes they are returned. I'm still puzzled at the two or three that haven't been picked up.
I can think of several reasons why someone would not attempt to retrieve a gun from the police. They could be a felon, underage or too embarrassed. Maybe they were an underage embarrassed felon?
Or simply because they don't have a CHL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!