I was waiting for this!

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: I was waiting for this!

Post by WhyNot »

My Dear Gentle Lady, you are not exhibiting proper grip for cutlery. The commoners are watching, I will lower myself and comment, ''get a grip!''
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I thought of this thread when I found a link to knife laws in the UK and read through them.
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

I had earlier posted a comment about the confiscated knives having a bunch of Opinel folders in the photo.
And I mentioned that many Opinels have a ferrule that can be rotated to either lock the knife open or closed.

It turns out that ANY folder that has a locking blade is illegal.

Although this:
Lock knives
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener

Would indicate that Opinels under 3 inches should be legal.

I do a lot of text chatting with a young lady on a gaming site that I help moderate who lives in the London area.
Just yesterday we got to talking about differences between the UK and USA with respect to ages to be able to do things.

She posted this:
Its so odd here cause you can learn to drive at 16, move house at 18 but you cant buy knives or forks till 21 :P
I responded:
Knives and forks??????
Answer:
You can't buy your own cutlery until 21 :)
You can't even buy scissors.
BTW "move house" I think means move out on your own legally. ie rent or buy a dwelling.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law ...:

Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...
A British judge is proposing that all knives in the country have the points filed off. You do not really need pointy knives, he says, and they are causing all the knife crime.

The parallels to the the push to ban guns in the UK are unmistakable. From telegraph.co.uk:

A judge has proposed a nationwide programme to file down the points of kitchen knives as a solution to the country’s soaring knife crime epidemic.

Last week in his valedictory address, retiring Luton Crown Court Judge Nic Madge spoke of his concern that carrying a knife had become routine in some circles and called on the Government to ban the sale of large pointed kitchen knives.

Latest figures show stabbing deaths among teenagers and young adults have reached the highest level for eight years, and knife crime overall rose 22 per cent in 2017.

In the past two months, he said, there have been 77 knife-related incidents in Bedfordshire, including three killings.

Does he really believe these young warriors, defending their honor and their turf, as they see it, will be deterred from having effective weapons because they may need to file a point back on a knife?

Does he completely miss the availability of steel, hard plastic, files, belt sanders, brass, bronze, copper, aluminum, or even flint and glass?

How far separated from reality is this judge?
Sharpness is bad, mkay.
Dull the knives.
Dull the minds.
Dull the senses, except the outrage / victim sensor...hyper irritate that one constantly...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

There's two methods with using a knife whether it's self defense or cutting meat, driving the point in and slashing/cutting. Doofus doesn't realize rounding the tip of a sharp knife aids it in sliding around bone. I remember in the days of resharpening our fixed broadheads for deer hunting round the tip slightly for that very reason.

Even squaring the tip does not stop penetration if driven hard enough, such as a full commit strike in a self defense or attack scenario.

And don't tell Doofus about the in close technique of pommel strikes
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Police to create 1,000 detectives in 12 weeks: Force chiefs to fast-track hundreds of recruits in desperate bid to plug gaps as crime surges in Britain

Up to 1,000 graduates are to be trained as detectives on a 12-week course
The move hopes to tackle a ‘national crisis’ in police staffing levels
Home Secretary Sajid Javid acted after warnings crimes were going unsolved due to a shortage of investigators
Huh? You make everyone a criminal by taking away the tools of self defense and somehow violent crime rises to the point of national crisis? Standards get lowered and policing quality goes south (reinforcing the need for citizens to defend themselves and their families).

Who would have predicted such?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

I wonder what Mad Jack Churchill would have to say about his country today.

Note the photo below. He's the one on the extreme right carrying a broadsword during the landings at Normandy.

He is also the last British soldier to have ever killed an enemy with a longbow. He shot a German Staff Sergeant in France in 1940 with his bow and a broad-head tipped arrow.

He also said; "if it hadn’t been for those damned Yanks we could have kept the war going for another 10 years.”

Photos like this one might be banned in England next.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hmmm, apparently my young friend in the UK mis-spoke. She said 21 for cutlery. She's just 15 so not yet concerned.
Even though she claims to have a knife for protection.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.