Darwin Award Winner-people blame cops

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Darwin Award Winner-people blame cops

Post by catfish86 »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/05/fa ... g-gun.html

People are outraged...seriously???

This guy has a pipe contraption which when held in the hand looks like a pistol, is walking up to people menacingly to the point that 3 people call in a MWAG. Police show up and HE POINTS IT AT THEM. Four officers shot him 9 times. The witnesses are saying, "they didn't tell him to halt freeze or nothing, they just shot him".

Clueless. If dude has it at a low ready, etc. I see giving a command. Pointing at the officers directly...they reasonably believed he was in the act of shooting at them. Sad but sometimes stupid people cause sadness. Everybody here knows I am willing to call a bad shoot by LEO a bad shoot, this just wasn't that. There will probably be riots since that is the case.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Darwin Award Winner-people blame cops

Post by Javelin Man »

The police chief was very fast as showing the photograph from a surveillance tape showing the man pointing the pipe in a manner in which we would hold a gun. He's trying to stem the protests and violence. NY is probably just aching for a good riot.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Javelin Man wrote: NY is probably just aching for a good riot.
Too true - understandably miffed that London took first place as the new murder capitol. But seriously, aim something at multiple LEO's, and you think it will turn out OK for you? :(
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

For those who say "it was just a pipe!" I suggest researching zip guns. They are a real and present danger, ironically more so in places where normal firearm ownership is heavily restricted or outright prohibited.

This is not like where someone is shot for holding a wallet or cell phone where an argument can at least be made that it should be recognized as a harmless object. Pointing a section of pipe at someone is on par with pointing an airsoft at them. It will be assumed to be a gun and people will react accordingly.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:For those who say "it was just a pipe!" I suggest researching zip guns.
The folks who need to read that advice aren't on this forum, and of course never will be.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Being from Chicago, I'm not one to give the cops the benefit of the doubt, but let's not get ridiculous.

It might not have been his "fault", but he might as well have shot himself.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Of course non-violent resolutions are preferred. That isn't always an available option.

The standard should be that whatever is justified by citizen action is justified under police action.
I wouldn't have an issue exonerating a common citizen in this instance, knowing as little as I do of the specific scenario. Therefore, government officials, who can only be given as much power as the citizen retains, should also be exonerated in such scenarios.

Taking issue when government officials are given special treatment/powers above the citizen remains appropriate.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I agree that cops should be under the same standard...I never have been a fan of waiving the flag or badge to excuse an execution. Don't tell me they have a dangerous job and so the streets become a free-fire zone for officer safety purposes. More convenience store clerks are killed every year than cops.

Again, this case is justified.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:
djthomas wrote:For those who say "it was just a pipe!" I suggest researching zip guns.
The folks who need to read that advice aren't on this forum, and of course never will be.
Which, sadly, is most unfortunate. :(
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio