Teachers trained how to fight unarmed against school shooter

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Teachers trained how to fight unarmed against school shooter

Post by Bruenor »

Better than nothing ? or is it essentially nothing. Given the choice I wouldn't want to be armed with a stapler..
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/nat ... ter-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SYRACUSE, New York — It’s training many teachers have never seen, and it’s designed to let staff feel what it might be like to have a school shooter attacking.

These teachers are physically learning to team up and do battle with a shooter, and they are being taught to focus on a shooter's hands.

Teacher’s aid Melissa Demjanenko used tennis balls to train in place of staplers, tape dispensers or chairs she would really use to defend her classroom.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: Teachers trained how to fight unarmed against school sho

Post by M-Quigley »

Planning ahead and practicing is what these teachers say now gives them the confidence to wage war against an attacker if they have no other choice.
I once read that the Chinese leaders back in the 1800's gave confidence training to some troops making them think they could realistically defend themselves against other nationalities who were coming into China with firearms. They didn't do this because they were anti gun, the leaders didn't have enough guns to give to all their soldiers. Some of the few guns they did have in practice sessions were not loaded with lead, to suggest to the troops that they cold survive getting shot if they charged toward the enemy. The training gave the Chinese a lot of confidence. All it did in real life however was get a lot of Chinese killed.

Susanne Gratia Hupp and her father were in a mass shooting. The father felt like he had to do something to stop the slaughter, and charged toward the killer. All it did was get him killed. Meanwhile his daughters handgun is in her car, because it was against the law to have it with her. She had a clear close range shot to the killers back, but she couldn't take it, simply because she was a law abiding citizen and the killer wasn't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as it does work sometimes, and is better than merely standing there and getting shot like a sheep. I think however it should be a complement to and not a substitute for something which has been proven to be more effective against a mass shooter.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Teachers trained how to fight unarmed against school sho

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote: I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as it does work sometimes, and is better than merely standing there and getting shot like a sheep. I think however it should be a complement to and not a substitute for something which has been proven to be more effective against a mass shooter.
My thoughts exactly.

It goes back to what Jared Reston (don't know who he is? - http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p4341146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ; over the course of the last year or so, he and his training group has really started to garner a well-deserved spotlight) said in his PoliceOne interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Pj1-Iw-X8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - that the mindset should be that you are the weapon, and that everything else is just tools to help you get your job done.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio