School Resource Officer Stops Shooter In MD

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

School Resource Officer Stops Shooter In MD

Post by djmac1964 »

From CNN,

Two injured in Maryland school shooting 01:00

(CNN)A 17-year-old male student shot two other students at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday morning before a school resource officer engaged him and stopped the threat, authorities said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/great ... index.html
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: School Resource Officer Stops Shooter In MD

Post by scottb »

Out of curiosity, did the students today in Maryland feel like they were in prison when the SRO saved many lives?
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

scottb wrote:Out of curiosity, did the students today in Maryland feel like they were in prison when the SRO saved many lives?
I think the prison comments are students being forced to go through metal detectors and having fences around the grounds.The shooting allegedly took place inside one of the school hallways. I think it's great that the casualty toll isn't double digit, and the SRO happened to be in the right place at the right time, and this SRO actually did his job, but if the armed student had been detected at the door, perhaps the two students who were wounded wouldn't have gotten shot in the first place.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

What was the officer thinking! He could have hit a student! :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:What was the officer thinking! He could have hit a student! :shock:
Not according to the anti's, only armed civilian school staff shoot and miss. :roll:
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

As school systems across the country debate arming staff, state and local officials praised the actions of the school resource officer who fired at a gunman at Great Mills High School.

“He responded exactly as we train our personnel to respond," said St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron of school resource officer Deputy First Class Blaine Gaskill. Police said Austin Rollins, 17, shot at two other students who were injured. Gaskill fired at Rollins, who almost simultaneously fired his handgun, Cameron said. Investigators are still trying to determine which bullets struck which individuals.

Rollins died at a hospital.

Gaskill was not injured during the incident, which unfolded in less than a minute.

"While it’s still tragic, he may have saved other people’s lives,” Gov. Larry Hogan said of Gaskill.
We all say that citizens can't carry cops around all the time. The solution to school violence is to carry cops around?

The Dems hypocritically object on the basis that it's too expensive (because on school funding they're fiscally prudent conservatives??). The Statists/GOP are all about licensing and training and giving special dispensations of grace to certain people who are willing to be fingerprinted, databased and ultimately controlled by this process.

Sure, it's positive that there was a cop nearby that ended the threat. Somehow, that wasn't an effective deterrent to the now deceased criminal. Parkland demonstrates that this outcome is not assured, even with cops on campus.

Consider, if you dare, that having citizens anonymously and randomly armed according to their God given Right to self-defense and RKBA, is a greater deterrent and offers a swifter response in a society boiling over with threats.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:
scottb wrote:Out of curiosity, did the students today in Maryland feel like they were in prison when the SRO saved many lives?
I think the prison comments are students being forced to go through metal detectors and having fences around the grounds.The shooting allegedly took place inside one of the school hallways. I think it's great that the casualty toll isn't double digit, and the SRO happened to be in the right place at the right time, and this SRO actually did his job, but if the armed student had been detected at the door, perhaps the two students who were wounded wouldn't have gotten shot in the first place.
I wonder about the logistics of metal detectors at the doors. How long must it take to screen all the students on the way into the building ? Thikn of how long this takes at the airport. Wouldn't someone intent on doing harm just open fire and shoot everyone bunched up in line for the metal detector, especially and including the security personnel running it that might shoot back ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bruenor wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
I wonder about the logistics of metal detectors at the doors. How long must it take to screen all the students on the way into the building ? Thikn of how long this takes at the airport. Wouldn't someone intent on doing harm just open fire and shoot everyone bunched up in line for the metal detector, especially and including the security personnel running it that might shoot back ?
Or wait till they break down (which will happen) and they take days to repair / replace, so you come prepared the *next* day...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Bruenor wrote:I wonder about the logistics of metal detectors at the doors. How long must it take to screen all the students on the way into the building ? Thikn of how long this takes at the airport. Wouldn't someone intent on doing harm just open fire and shoot everyone bunched up in line for the metal detector, especially and including the security personnel running it that might shoot back ?
A friend who works in a school near Cinti reports to me that after Parkland, there was a call from administrators to get a metal detector. That the entire school did enter via this chosen door, were scanned, and that the line could take 40 minutes to get through. Shoes were not removed, like the brilliant TSA, fwiw.

THEN the cost/ politics kicked in: Maybe we can screen every other or a random number of students, to which a high ranking official replied that only male white kids should be screened, allowing minority students to pass, because they didn't fit the profile...

The appetite for screening seems to decrease a bit after these measures are undertaken -- Vigilance not being people's strong suit.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
Here's a few quick stories on the ineffectiveness of metal detectors in schools...

2013 -
Atlanta school shooting raises doubts about metal detectors

2018 - Official: School metal detectors not in use day of shooting

I know there are more out there, just can't find other ones I've referenced. But one was the guard at the metal detectors was shot first, so basically made the guard and the detectors pointless.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote: I know there are more out there, just can't find other ones I've referenced. But one was the guard at the metal detectors was shot first, so basically made the guard and the detectors pointless.
I don't know if metal detectors were in place, but I recall hearing about a school shooting overseas where the uniformed guard was shot first as the shooters went in. That is why you need trained and armed non uniformed school staff as a backup plan, even if you have an SRO. In that school the shooters were shot by two school staff after they entered.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE:

http://www.whio.com/news/national/sheri ... FcHB17amO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GREAT MILLS, Md. — The student who fatally shot a female classmate last week at a Maryland high school died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound during a confrontation with a school resource officer who also fired his gun, authorities said Monday.

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that 17-year-old Austin Rollins fired a fatal shot to his head just as he encountered sheriff's deputy Blaine Gaskill. The shot fired by Gaskill struck the gun in Rollins' hand, the sheriff's office added.
So the deputy did hit the shooter, he just didn't kill him. However the threat stopped, it still stopped. The Lubys cafeteria shooter wasn't killed by the police sniper either, but it wasn't until the sniper arrived that the shooter killed himself. If you look at mass shooters overall, most don't continue shooting innocent people after getting shot back at, regardless of whether or how they get hit. There are other examples of the same thing.
According to the sheriff's office, Rollins entered the main entrance of the school the day of the shooting about five minutes before he shot Willey in the head with his father's gun. The same bullet traveled into the leg of Desmond Barnes, who had sought shelter in a classroom.
Again, another case of a student able to just walk into the school with a handgun without anyone challenging him. :roll: Yes, I know that would slow things down.
Rollins then turned a corner and passed several classrooms before the confrontation with the school resource officer, which occurred about three minutes after shooting Willey, the sheriff's office said. Rollins and Gaskill fired their weapons about 30 seconds later.
Most schools nowadays have a policy of locking classroom doors during a shooting, so it's possible that is why he passed the classrooms. Or it could be he was looking for the SRO to confront him, after he killed the student that was the target of his anger.