schools shouldn't arm staff because they're mostly women?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

schools shouldn't arm staff because they're mostly women?

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/edu ... 7205172928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Schools don’t need guns because ‘it’s mostly ladies that’s teaching,’ Alabama lawmaker says
But few have taken a public stance against arming teachers by declaring that it would violate the feminine sensibilities of teachers.

Alabama state Rep. Harry Shiver (R) asserted that belief, saying guns should not be placed in the hands of “our ladies” — meaning female teachers — many of whom he believes are “scared” of firearms.

“I’m not saying all [women], but in most schools, women are [the majority] of the teachers,” Shiver, a lawmaker representing a district northeast of Mobile, told AL.com in an interview published Thursday.

“Some of them just don’t want to [be trained to possess firearms]. If they want to, then that’s good. But most of them don’t want to learn how to shoot like that and carry a gun.”
Shiver was voicing opposition to a proposed bill in Alabama that would designate specially trained teachers and administrators on school grounds, requiring annual training of 40 hours that would include active-shooter drills and firearm safety, AL.com reported. That bill cleared the public safety committee and was heading to the State House for debate.

The lawmaker relied on his past as an educator to reinforce his position during the committee hearing Thursday morning.

“We don’t need to have a lady teacher in a school that’s got a firearm,” he said, according to NBC affiliate WSFA. “I taught for 32 years, and it’s mostly ladies that’s teaching.”

Shiver is correct about the demographic makeup. Nearly 80 percent of public school teachers were women in 2011-2012, according to Education Department data.
The connection to perceived fragility in women is less clear.

Gun ownership was at a nearly 40-year low in 2016, with fewer people owning more guns per person. Most gun owners are men. But gun ownership among women has held consistently since 1980 as ownership among men experienced a decline, TheTrace.org reported.

About one in five women owns a gun, the Pew Research Center found last year, and women appear to view guns as a pure self-defense tool at higher rates than men.

While about 90 percent of men and women who own guns say it is used for protection, 27 percent of women say self-defense is the sole reason they own a firearm, Pew found. That is more than three times the men who say the same, at 8 percent.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: schools shouldn't arm staff because they're mostly women

Post by catfish86 »

Wow on a couple of levels.

First, talk about sexist comments...all you little ladies out there need not worry your pretty little heads about carrying those nasty firearms...

Second, the propaganda narrative about more guns being owned by fewer people continues...in my tax business I know of a number of new gun owners and often women...

Yet this article says that gun ownership among women has stayed the same since the 1980s. I find that statement to be a huge whopper.

I saw a facebook link to a CBS News list of firearms ownership rates that lists Hawaii as one of the leaders and Ohio as having a gun ownership rate of 16%. It only listed a handful of states with rates over 50%.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: schools shouldn't arm staff because they're mostly women

Post by bignflnut »

Dear Culture,
Didn't you tell me that Men and Women were the same? That, like, um, don't protect women, cuz, like, they're strong and stuff? They don't need a man to start a family? They can raise kids all by themselves? Heather's 2 mommies are spectacular? Didn't you say all of this?

But then...
In his opening monologue, host Jimmy Kimmel gave an impassioned speech about the responsibility of Hollywood to take action against sexual harassment and assault. He explains, “[Hollywood] cannot let bad behavior slide anymore...we need to set an example.” After the audience roars with laughter following the punchline about sexual harassment, Kimmel continues by explaining that he hopes the audience “will listen to many brave and outspoken supporters of movements like #MeToo and Time’s Up and Never Again because what they’re doing is important, things are changing for the better, they are making sure of that. It is positive change.”

While I can certainly appreciate celebrities using their wealth and fame to bring attention to the issue of sexual violence, they seem to stop short of actually allowing women to empower themselves to prevent future assaults. Throughout the evening, Jimmy Kimmel seemed to present a call to action to prevent future assaults from happening again. While this is a noble cause, this is the same Jimmy Kimmel who recently gave a ten-minute monologue on his show in which he, through tears, denounced the National Rifle Association for standing firm in their defense of the Second Amendment and refusing to implement what he described as “common sense” gun control.

It’s easy for celebrities like Kimmel to consider gun control “common sense” when a fun evening out to the Oscars comes with a security detail of over 500 armed LAPD officers costing $340,000. As an average American, I don’t have the luxury of an armed police officer keeping me safe during a night out, let alone hundreds. If my own experience with sexual assault taught me anything, it’s the importance of having a reliable method of self-defense available when seconds count and the police are minutes away.

If You Want to Help Women, Empower Them

It’s crucial that when empowering women to take action against sexual assault, we also allow them to choose to defend themselves with a firearm if they so desire. Wearing a “Time’s Up” pin on the red carpet does a good job at starting a viral hashtag, but it does nothing to stop a rapist hellbent on attacking and violating an innocent woman.

The legally registered 9mm I carry on my hip, however, does.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798