Ohio student suspended for NOT walking out of class in prote

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio student suspended for NOT walking out of class in prote

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/ohio-stu ... qYNUlqGHJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HILLIARD, Ohio — An Ohio high school student says he tried to remain nonpolitical during school walkouts over gun violence and was suspended for a day because he stayed in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, a study hall.

Hilliard senior Jacob Shoemaker says school isn't the place for politics, and he wasn't taking sides Wednesday.

The district says it's responsible for students' safety and they can't be unsupervised.
Suckerspawn

Re: Ohio student suspended for NOT walking out of class in p

Post by Suckerspawn »

So, why didn't the student just go to study hall?
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Suckerspawn wrote:So, why didn't the student just go to study hall?
Good question. My guess is he actually wanted to learn, but the teacher was going to help supervise the protesting students as per order. The school probably thought they were giving enough allowance to those who didn't want to protest by giving them the study hall which is supervised. That said, the student gets up and goes outside during a fire drill or to the hall for a tornado, he could/should go along with the lambs on this one.

We can't let students go a second without supervision. Believe me, we get called out on it anytime it happens and if anything goes wrong when we're not there, our heads are on a silver platter and handed to the upset parents and fragile child. :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bob Frantz just had the father on WTAM.

According to him, the kid was given an untenable choice of pro-gun vs. anti-gun when he just wanted to say in the classroom and learn without participating in ANYBODY'S political auto da fe.

I vaguely recall being dragooned into one of these ideological dog and pony shows in the late '60s in Catholic school in Apartheid Chicago.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Javelin Man wrote:
Suckerspawn wrote:So, why didn't the student just go to study hall?
Good question. My guess is he actually wanted to learn, but the teacher was going to help supervise the protesting students as per order. The school probably thought they were giving enough allowance to those who didn't want to protest by giving them the study hall which is supervised. That said, the student gets up and goes outside during a fire drill or to the hall for a tornado, he could/should go along with the lambs on this one.

We can't let students go a second without supervision. Believe me, we get called out on it anytime it happens and if anything goes wrong when we're not there, our heads are on a silver platter and handed to the upset parents and fragile child. :roll:
To further add...I think this brings up multiple issues. Why were the teachers not in the classrooms teaching as they are paid to do? If they "have to supervise" the students that skipped class, do they send search parties out whenever a kid skips school in the middle of the day? Why not just let those kids leave and then charge them all with a suspension for skipping school? Sounds like here the school authorized the walkout which I would be totally against.

If this were my child, first I would applaud them. Then I would tell them to go back to class and not go to suspension. If the school then wants to get forceful or have my child removed for wanting to learn, it would be all over the news. Stand firm as the school will pay more dearly in the long run hopefully.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Updated article: https://www.10tv.com/article/district-p ... fusal-fake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stacie Raterman, Director of Communications, said the information in the post is false and no students were suspended for participating or not participating in the walkout.
Fake/false is way different than just semantics. You guys have made some really good points about where the teachers should have been and how abstaining from Pro or Anti division should still have been an option.
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Curzyk wrote:Updated article: https://www.10tv.com/article/district-p ... fusal-fake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stacie Raterman, Director of Communications, said the information in the post is false and no students were suspended for participating or not participating in the walkout.
Fake/false is way different than just semantics. You guys have made some really good points about where the teachers should have been and how abstaining from Pro or Anti division should still have been an option.
I love how the editor has the headline stating the story is false. A better headline would state the facts are in dispute between the school and the student and father. It could be an oversight, or it could be bias.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

KNOWN political activity while being paid STATE FUNDS

Can anyone say ''Hatch Act'' violations? IIRC correctly its a very established No-NO to be politically active while being paid by the state.

And if so, I M sure they all clocked out, 1st :oops:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Who has the strongest standing for a lawsuit in this situation? It's a pretty dangerous precedent if the whole thing goes unanswered, isn't it?
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

WhyNot wrote:KNOWN political activity while being paid STATE FUNDS

Can anyone say ''Hatch Act'' violations? IIRC correctly its a very established No-NO to be politically active while being paid by the state.

And if so, I M sure they all clocked out, 1st :oops:
Not sure the state is involved, high school teachers are paid by the local school district(s) are they not? (Asking because I do not know) I do know that the Hatch Act is aimed at Federal & D.C. employees, and some state/local that are paid or partially paid by federal funds.
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-hatch-act-3368321
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788