Teacher has ND in classroom

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wendellcrain

Teacher has ND in classroom

Post by wendellcrain »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 010b5aca48
Teacher accidentally discharges firearm in Calif. classroom. He was trained in gun use.

A teacher who is also a reserve police officer trained in firearm use accidentally discharged a gun Tuesday at Seaside High School in Monterey County, Calif., during a class devoted to public safety. A male student was reported to have sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

The weapon, which was not described, was pointed at the ceiling, according to a statement from the school, and debris fell from the ceiling.

Seaside Police Chief Abdul Pridgen told the Monterey County Weekly that a male student was “struck in the neck by ‘debris or fragmentation’ from something overhead.’” Pridgen said whatever hit the student was not a bullet.
Sounds kind of coincidental doesn't it? No mention of arrest, charges, etc. Can anyone say false flag?
M-Quigley

Re: Teacher has ND in classroom

Post by M-Quigley »

The article led off with he was a teacher and trained in gun use, and later mention that he is a cop. :roll:

Most of the people opposed to arming staff aren't opposed to armed police in school, only armed civilian school staff. The lie they repeat is no matter how much training or what procedures the school has regarding the carry of guns, "civilian" teachers are too stupid not to have a negligent discharge, or that they will accidentally shoot a student while shooting the bad guy. (as was recently stated in a school safety forum on WHIO radio :roll: ) IN fact, if I recall correctly (don't have a transcript) the woman used words like "highly trained police" and "armed teachers would be useless in a real shooting situation".

On the other hand, I've heard very few of those ignorant people say police aren't safe to be in a school with a gun. Most places that have armed civilian staff that I've read about either require them to carry chamber empty, or they don't even carry at all; the guns are in safes in various locations to be used when needed, like a fire extinguisher. So it could be said that the fact this guy was a cop led to him not having to follow the rules that ordinary mere mortals would've had to follow, So one could potentially imply that civilian armed school staff with a strict carry or access policy would've been safer than merely having a cop in the building without the restrictions. :roll: Of course it is California, so arming teachers isn't likely anyway, restrictions or not.

On a different note, why was this cops gun even out of the holster at all, even if it was a class on public safety? Just that fact alone sounds highly negligent to me. If he had needed a gun for some reason he could've used something other than his loaded duty weapon. Is there video of this class that might come out? It reminds me of the federal agent who said "I'm the only one in this room qualified to carry a gun" before he had a negligent discharge.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

A lot of people carry guns....a lot of people don't know how to use them..best left in the holster till you are about to die...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote:The article led off with he was a teacher and trained in gun use, and later mention that he is a cop. :roll:
That was my problem with the article - and other similar reports of this incident - too.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

carmen fovozzo wrote:A lot of people carry guns....a lot of people don't know how to use them..best left in the holster till you are about to die...
AND it's these idiots that are pro-gun that are in the news killing the rest of us pro-gunners and giving talking points for the anti's.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Desk pop!

Last edited by bignflnut on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:A lot of people carry guns....a lot of people don't know how to use them..best left in the holster till you are about to die...
AND it's these idiots that are pro-gun that are in the news killing the rest of us pro-gunners and giving talking points for the anti's.
How do you know the idiot was pro gun? Sure, he's pro gun for himself and other LE, but I haven't heard anything about his beliefs on ordinary citizens carrying? The clown who was formally a federal agent and said, "I'm the only one qualified to carry a gun" certainly wasn't what you'd call pro gun.

Recently a couple of law enforcement associations came out and essentially said that arming teachers who weren't law enforcement was a bad idea, but having armed LE in schools was a great idea. :roll: It was carried without comment or any challenge by several news sources. I wouldn't exactly call that self serving opinion pro gun.

The last time I was in Southern California (admittedly long time ago) a resident told me the prevailing attitude among police officials there regarding guns, concealed carry, etc, was basically, "Guns for me, but not for thee."
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Reading the article, he was teaching a "public safety course" and was going to use a real gun to demonstrate how to disarm someone. He was clearing the weapon for the demonstration when it went off. First question: don't they make blue guns for that purpose?

BTW: Not the first time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

M-Quigley wrote:
qmti wrote:
How do you know the idiot was pro gun? Sure, he's pro gun for himself and other LE, but I haven't heard anything about his beliefs on ordinary citizens carrying? The clown who was formally a federal agent and said, "I'm the only one qualified to carry a gun" certainly wasn't what you'd call pro gun.

Recently a couple of law enforcement associations came out and essentially said that arming teachers who weren't law enforcement was a bad idea, but having armed LE in schools was a great idea. :roll: It was carried without comment or any challenge by several news sources. I wouldn't exactly call that self serving opinion pro gun.

The last time I was in Southern California (admittedly long time ago) a resident told me the prevailing attitude among police officials there regarding guns, concealed carry, etc, was basically, "Guns for me, but not for thee."
You are correct, I should not have assumed he was pro-gun just because he was conducting a class. I should have just said negligent idiot.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Further reading states that he had not been authorized to bring the gun in. That appears to violate state law, as well as school policy.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Further reading states that he had not been authorized to bring the gun in. That appears to violate state law, as well as school policy.
Maybe he thought because he was also a politician that he was above the law? :roll:
Perhaps the mayor should step in and tell the chief to fire him. Oh wait, :roll:
What makes the incident even more striking is that Alexander is a member (and currently mayor pro tem) of the (non-partisan) Seaside City Council, first elected in 2006. He’s also a former Peace Corps volunteer, a long-time community activist, and in general not a gun-nutty sort of guy, so far as we can tell. He’s very likely not a MAGA fan, either; aside from holding elected office in a very Democratic portion of a very Democratic Monterey County, Alexander’s main gig at Seaside High is teaching math in Spanish (the school’s student body is 89 percent minority).
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... sroom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;