Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Postby Cruiser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:07 pm

evan price wrote:In Cabela's today noticing they are much busier than the Dick's field and stream across the street.
Pointed it out to the cashier and she agreed.
I said it's because Cabela's isn't Dick's.
She agreed and thought that was hilarious

Should say Cabela's arn't Dick's.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby qmti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Cruiser wrote:
evan price wrote:In Cabela's today noticing they are much busier than the Dick's field and stream across the street.
Pointed it out to the cashier and she agreed.
I said it's because Cabela's isn't Dick's.
She agreed and thought that was hilarious

Should say Cabela's arn't Dick's.

I agree. I was at Cabela's Saturday last weekend (Columbus) and the parking lot and store was packed. After I bought a gamecam I stopped at Field & Stream at the mall across the street. It was not busy at all.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby M-Quigley » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:04 am

deanimator wrote:It's hard to "boycott" a store whose staff is so rude, lazy and incompetent that you can't attract anyone's attention long enough to actually buy anything.

When they don't sell anything in which you have the slightest interest, then they're effectively boycotting YOU.

This is sort of the way I felt also the last time I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods store. In addition, their prices weren't any better, and in some cases worse, than other places that sell the same items.
M-Quigley

Postby High Power » Sun May 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Video update on Dick’s and their business decline:

https://youtu.be/rH48p1v_L6U
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
High Power

Postby AlanM » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 am

High Power wrote:Video update on Dick’s and their business decline:

https://youtu.be/rH48p1v_L6U

He makes a very good point. The "silent" majority might not have all the money but they do spend it where they feel welcome.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Postby qmti » Mon May 21, 2018 7:20 am

A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby djthomas » Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 am

qmti wrote:A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.

There's a big difference between being politically correct and being antagonistic.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
djthomas

Postby schmieg » Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am

djthomas wrote:
qmti wrote:A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.

There's a big difference between being politically correct and being antagonistic.

I think the new normal may be that to be politically correct, you must be antagonistic to those deemed not politically correct at any given moment.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby drc » Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 am

drc

Postby bignflnut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 pm

This news means that yes, Dick’s felt the shock of the boycott, but it was mitigated by increases elsewhere.

I maintain that this increase was a short-term boost driven largely by anti-gunners desperate to counter the boycott by gun rights advocates. I also maintain that it’s not sustainable.

I think Dick’s knows this, too. Despite the evidence it had to have been seeing internally, the company still hired lobbyists to push for a federal ban on the very same guns it vowed to remove completely from its stores. This sounds like it knows what is driving these sales and it’s not expecting it to last.

And it shouldn’t.

Anti-gunners are pouring through the doors–either in physical space or the internet–and making all of their purchases through Dick’s to prove a point. That will fade as it always does. Their outrage and anger will be redirected at some other target, some other shiny object, and they’ll forget all about Dick’s.

Meanwhile, the gun rights advocates are unlikely to forget any time soon how Dick’s treated them and what it’s pushing to do with its revenue, namely restrict our rights through legislation. That means no revenue from those folks at all. Not just on guns and hunting merchandise, but no weight sets or tennis rackets either.

Dick’s will feel that once the shine rubs off of it with their temporary allies.

At least, that’s my feelings on the subject.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
bignflnut

Postby AlanM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 am

There's something else to think about with respect to this situation.
If they drop ALL firearms they can drop their FFLs and all the training and vetting of personnel that entails and get the BATFE off their backs.

That still doesn't excuse the hiring of anti-gun lobbyists.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Previous

Return to In The News