Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Post by Bruenor »

kcclark wrote: You forgot the quote that makes this all OK:
“We’re staunch supporters of the 2nd Amendment. I’m a gun owner myself”
Now where is my dictionary because I apparently am fuzzy on the meaning of "staunch." :roll:
I think that means "hunting/hunter" after all that's what the 2nd is about right ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Now we know why they're named Dick's.

That's their CEO's name.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:Dick's CEO is on GMA right now giving the new policies of his stores. No assault rifles, no one under the age of 21, no high capacity magazines, and calls for a nationwide crackdown banning sales of assault rifles. :evil:
Can someone explain how this doesn't violate Ohio's law on discrimination by places of public accommodation?

ORC 4112.02(G) makes it illegal:
(G) For any proprietor or any employee, keeper, or manager of a place of public accommodation to deny to any person, except for reasons applicable alike to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry, the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of the place of public accommodation.
4112.01(A)(9) defines "public accommodations"
"Place of public accommodation" means any inn, restaurant, eating house, barbershop, public conveyance by air, land, or water, theater, store, other place for the sale of merchandise, or any other place of public accommodation or amusement of which the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges are available to the public.
So Dick's and F&S stores are clearly places of public accommodation and are prohibited from from denying to anyone "the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges" based on age. Certainly they have to adhere to state and federal laws, which is why they can deny sales to people below 18 years of age. But how, legally, can they deny sales to persons 18-20 who are not prohibited by state or federal law?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Good catch, DTOM!!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
John 447

Post by John 447 »

I never saw Dick's Sporting Goods as a gun store, they sell golf clubs, tennis shoes and polo shirts. "The Fin" & "The Den" stock what I want to buy.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

They have certainly lived up to their name !!!!!
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Dick's CEO is on GMA right now giving the new policies of his stores. No assault rifles, no one under the age of 21, no high capacity magazines, and calls for a nationwide crackdown banning sales of assault rifles. :evil:
Can someone explain how this doesn't violate Ohio's law on discrimination by places of public accommodation?

ORC 4112.02(G) makes it illegal:
(G) For any proprietor or any employee, keeper, or manager of a place of public accommodation to deny to any person, except for reasons applicable alike to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry, the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of the place of public accommodation.
4112.01(A)(9) defines "public accommodations"
"Place of public accommodation" means any inn, restaurant, eating house, barbershop, public conveyance by air, land, or water, theater, store, other place for the sale of merchandise, or any other place of public accommodation or amusement of which the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges are available to the public.
So Dick's and F&S stores are clearly places of public accommodation and are prohibited from from denying to anyone "the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges" based on age. Certainly they have to adhere to state and federal laws, which is why they can deny sales to people below 18 years of age. But how, legally, can they deny sales to persons 18-20 who are not prohibited by state or federal law?

I thought that FFL's could deny anyone for any reason if they feel uncomfortable selling them a gun. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Roger
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

rouger10 wrote:I thought that FFL's could deny anyone for any reason if they feel uncomfortable selling them a gun. Please correct me if I am wrong.
That's a point, and I did ask for people to explain how the policy is not illegal, but I don't think your example works. Yes FFLs can refuse to sell to a person if they have a concern about the sale - frankly anyone can ask a customer to leave their store - but it can't be solely based on that person being in a group which is protected by anti-discrimination statutes.

In other words, I don't think an FFL can refuse to sell to everyone over 18 but under 21 any more than they could refuse to sell to every person who is (female/hispanic/in a wheelchair/etc.) even though they're generally allowed to refuse service to individuals if there's a concern. It can't be that easy to bypass anti-discrimination statutes, or it would happen (somewhere) every day, without legal penalty.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

NSSF responds

[quote][/quote]We respect the right of all companies to make the decisions they believe are appropriate for their business. Nonetheless, we are disappointed by the decision of Dick’s Sporting Goods to stop selling modern sporting rifles at its 35 Field & Stream stores, to cease sales of certain magazines and to raise the purchase age to 21 for all firearms at all its stores. We note that the Dick’s Sporting Goods announcement acknowledges the vast majority of gun owners are responsible and law-abiding. Indeed, they are and should not be penalized for the actions of criminals.

Members of our industry believe that unauthorized individuals should never have access to any firearm, of any kind, at any time. On behalf of our industry, NSSF supports effective solutions to achieve that goal, which is shared by all Americans. NSSF strongly supports and calls upon Congress to immediately pass the Fix NICS bill – named after our program of the same name – to increase the reporting of all disqualifying criminal and applicable mental health records to the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) database to increase the effectiveness of the system on which our nation’s retailers depend. We will continue our work on that vitally important initiative, as well our other programs that work every day to help enhance public safety, including Project ChildSafe, the Don’t Lie for the Other Guy anti-straw purchasing program and Operation Secure Store programs that we conduct in cooperation with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I for one have only spit on their tree lawn as i walked by. :twisted: Not one penny since dicks turn traitor after sandy hook
Black Rifles Matter
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Sooo.... if a good 19yr old citizen goes into certain stores to either buy a long gun, or even ammo, and are denied, does the cited ORC cover them for a lawsuit?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

WhyNot wrote:Sooo.... if a good 19yr old citizen goes into certain stores to either buy a long gun, or even ammo, and are denied, does the cited ORC cover them for a lawsuit?
I see no difference in this then when the gays sued to get a christian baker to make a wedding cake for them.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
High Power

Post by High Power »

DOA33 wrote:
WhyNot wrote:Sooo.... if a good 19yr old citizen goes into certain stores to either buy a long gun, or even ammo, and are denied, does the cited ORC cover them for a lawsuit?
I see no difference in this then when the gays sued to get a christian baker to make a wedding cake for them.
So the 18-year-old that has a job like this, which requires them to carry a full-auto M-4 or M-16 can't buy a semi-auto version in Dick's or F&S.

That's interesting cause the bad guys don't hesitate to arm kids younger than that.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

FYI Glen Beck started his program today with a potential lawsuit scenario on this. Age is a protected class. Which tells me 2 things 1-many other people are thinking the same thing 2- he heard about it (obviously) and ran it through an attorney and 3- we may very well be different in that we have a state ordinance vs others having only a Fed statute to rely on

Does anyone know of anyone who was just getting ready to go shopping?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

yogidave wrote:I like M/C sports better, I was looking to buy a new set of golf clubs this spring and now it looks like I will be spending my money elsewhere.
I believe DICKS also owns GOLF GALAXY....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY