Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Post by Cruiser »

evan price wrote:In Cabela's today noticing they are much busier than the Dick's field and stream across the street.
Pointed it out to the cashier and she agreed.
I said it's because Cabela's isn't Dick's.
She agreed and thought that was hilarious
Should say Cabela's arn't Dick's.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Cruiser wrote:
evan price wrote:In Cabela's today noticing they are much busier than the Dick's field and stream across the street.
Pointed it out to the cashier and she agreed.
I said it's because Cabela's isn't Dick's.
She agreed and thought that was hilarious
Should say Cabela's arn't Dick's.
I agree. I was at Cabela's Saturday last weekend (Columbus) and the parking lot and store was packed. After I bought a gamecam I stopped at Field & Stream at the mall across the street. It was not busy at all.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:It's hard to "boycott" a store whose staff is so rude, lazy and incompetent that you can't attract anyone's attention long enough to actually buy anything.

When they don't sell anything in which you have the slightest interest, then they're effectively boycotting YOU.
This is sort of the way I felt also the last time I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods store. In addition, their prices weren't any better, and in some cases worse, than other places that sell the same items.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Video update on Dick’s and their business decline:

https://youtu.be/rH48p1v_L6U
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

High Power wrote:Video update on Dick’s and their business decline:

https://youtu.be/rH48p1v_L6U
He makes a very good point. The "silent" majority might not have all the money but they do spend it where they feel welcome.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

qmti wrote:A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.
There's a big difference between being politically correct and being antagonistic.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:
qmti wrote:A good example of being "politically correct" can bite you in the butt. It's a good example of not to mess with you base customers.
There's a big difference between being politically correct and being antagonistic.
I think the new normal may be that to be politically correct, you must be antagonistic to those deemed not politically correct at any given moment.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
drc

Post by drc »

This poke at Dick's is pretty funny

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/22/pa ... r-15s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

This news means that yes, Dick’s felt the shock of the boycott, but it was mitigated by increases elsewhere.

I maintain that this increase was a short-term boost driven largely by anti-gunners desperate to counter the boycott by gun rights advocates. I also maintain that it’s not sustainable.

I think Dick’s knows this, too. Despite the evidence it had to have been seeing internally, the company still hired lobbyists to push for a federal ban on the very same guns it vowed to remove completely from its stores. This sounds like it knows what is driving these sales and it’s not expecting it to last.

And it shouldn’t.

Anti-gunners are pouring through the doors–either in physical space or the internet–and making all of their purchases through Dick’s to prove a point. That will fade as it always does. Their outrage and anger will be redirected at some other target, some other shiny object, and they’ll forget all about Dick’s.

Meanwhile, the gun rights advocates are unlikely to forget any time soon how Dick’s treated them and what it’s pushing to do with its revenue, namely restrict our rights through legislation. That means no revenue from those folks at all. Not just on guns and hunting merchandise, but no weight sets or tennis rackets either.

Dick’s will feel that once the shine rubs off of it with their temporary allies.

At least, that’s my feelings on the subject.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

There's something else to think about with respect to this situation.
If they drop ALL firearms they can drop their FFLs and all the training and vetting of personnel that entails and get the BATFE off their backs.

That still doesn't excuse the hiring of anti-gun lobbyists.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.