Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby Bruenor » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 am

Has to be fake, AR15's are never used for defense the MSM told me so.
http://fox8.com/2018/02/27/man-armed-wi ... -neighbor/
A man armed with an AR-15 rifle stopped an attack by one of his neighbors in his Illinois apartment building.

Police say it all began Monday when someone with a knife attacked another person during an argument.

Neighbor Dave Thomas, who witnessed the attack, went into his home, got his rifle and ordered the suspect to stop.


Police say Thomas has a valid firearm owner's identification card and a concealed carry permit.

"The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for home protection," Thomas said. "It's light, it's maneuverable. If you train and know how to use it properly, it's not dangerous. And this is just a perfect example of good guy with an AR-15 stopped a bad guy with a knife. And there were no lives taken, so, all in all, it was a good day.


The stabbing victim was taken to the hospital. There is no word yet on that person's condition.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 6197
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby qmti » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am

Bruenor wrote:Has to be fake, AR15's are never used for defense the MSM told me so.
http://fox8.com/2018/02/27/man-armed-wi ... -neighbor/
A man armed with an AR-15 rifle stopped an attack by one of his neighbors in his Illinois apartment building.

Police say it all began Monday when someone with a knife attacked another person during an argument.

Neighbor Dave Thomas, who witnessed the attack, went into his home, got his rifle and ordered the suspect to stop.


Police say Thomas has a valid firearm owner's identification card and a concealed carry permit.

"The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for home protection," Thomas said. "It's light, it's maneuverable. If you train and know how to use it properly, it's not dangerous. And this is just a perfect example of good guy with an AR-15 stopped a bad guy with a knife. And there were no lives taken, so, all in all, it was a good day.


The stabbing victim was taken to the hospital. There is no word yet on that person's condition.

This happened in Illinois? The highly restrictive gun state. Has to be Fake News.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby djthomas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:44 am

A man armed with an AR-15 rifle stopped an attack by one of his neighbors in his Illinois apartment building.
...
"The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for home protection," Thomas said

Ew boy, going to have to disagree with you on that one Dave. To each his own but an AR-15 in a house with nearby neighbors is dicey enough, let alone in an apartment building.

Our policy discourages bringing the patrol rifles into an apartment or multi-tenant office building absent exigent circumstances - the default long gun is the shotgun.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5819
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby JustaShooter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:10 pm

djthomas wrote:
A man armed with an AR-15 rifle stopped an attack by one of his neighbors in his Illinois apartment building.
...
"The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for home protection," Thomas said

Ew boy, going to have to disagree with you on that one Dave. To each his own but an AR-15 in a house with nearby neighbors is dicey enough, let alone in an apartment building.

Our policy discourages bringing the patrol rifles into an apartment or multi-tenant office building absent exigent circumstances - the default long gun is the shotgun.

I've reviewed a lot of tests with SD / hollow point / polymer tipped rounds from an AR-15 carbine, and their penetration characteristics (or lack of, actually) make them a decent choice for home defense. Not so much with ball ammo, for sure.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby bignflnut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Condi Rice doesn't understand the need..

On Friday’s “Hugh Hewitt Show,” former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice argued that there should be “a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world.” She added, ” I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons.”

Rice said that men around her carrying firearms for protection when she was growing up in Birmingham was “a pure version of the 2nd Amendment, as a matter of fact, the right to bear arms.” She continued, “I will say this, Hugh. I think it is time for us to have a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world. I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons. We wouldn’t say you can go out and buy a tank. So, I do think we need to have that conversation. But I believe that the rights that we have in the Constitution are indivisible. We can’t throw away the 2nd Amendment and keep the 1st.”


Maybe we do need tanks! (helpful to the conversation, ma'am, thanks)
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 6321
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm
Location: Where Black Sheep and Black Swamps meet

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby Bruenor » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:23 pm

bignflnut wrote:Condi Rice doesn't understand the need..

On Friday’s “Hugh Hewitt Show,” former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice argued that there should be “a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world.” She added, ” I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons.”

Rice said that men around her carrying firearms for protection when she was growing up in Birmingham was “a pure version of the 2nd Amendment, as a matter of fact, the right to bear arms.” She continued, “I will say this, Hugh. I think it is time for us to have a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world. I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons. We wouldn’t say you can go out and buy a tank. So, I do think we need to have that conversation. But I believe that the rights that we have in the Constitution are indivisible. We can’t throw away the 2nd Amendment and keep the 1st.”


Maybe we do need tanks! (helpful to the conversation, ma'am, thanks)


It's already legal to privately own a tank. don't tell her though.. .
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4616205/o ... ive-cannon
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 0951570270

For those of us that can't afford a tank of our own, we can at least drive one.. even over a car, or through a trailer, etc.. :)
https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... tank-here/
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 6197
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Man with AR15 stops knife attack Oswego, Illinois

Postby ArmedAviator » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 pm

JustaShooter wrote:
djthomas wrote:
A man armed with an AR-15 rifle stopped an attack by one of his neighbors in his Illinois apartment building.
...
"The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for home protection," Thomas said

Ew boy, going to have to disagree with you on that one Dave. To each his own but an AR-15 in a house with nearby neighbors is dicey enough, let alone in an apartment building.

Our policy discourages bringing the patrol rifles into an apartment or multi-tenant office building absent exigent circumstances - the default long gun is the shotgun.

I've reviewed a lot of tests with SD / hollow point / polymer tipped rounds from an AR-15 carbine, and their penetration characteristics (or lack of, actually) make them a decent choice for home defense. Not so much with ball ammo, for sure.


Seconded. Upon reviewing many different tests carried out, it appears the light grain projectile of an AR-15, although will penetrate, carries much less kinetic energy and usually already tumbling and breaking apart after two layers of drywall. Only real downside is the increase in dB vs a handgun, IMHO. And that's where my M4-2000 on my 11.5" host comes in.
Peace through superior firepower
User avatar
ArmedAviator
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: 45426


Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests