Square Root Symbol is a gun: Shark Jumped?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Square Root Symbol is a gun: Shark Jumped?

Post by bignflnut »

During a math discussion, a student being helped by another student with a math problem was told the square root symbol he’d drawn looked like a sketch of a pistol. (NARRATOR: But it was not a pistol). It was a principal square root symbol.

One of the students then popped off with something along the lines of, “well, let’s get to work before I shoot you with a pistol!” A horrible game of telephone later and the cops were called, the student was removed from campus and his home investigated.
Somebody isn't adulting well.
The student who made the comment is still banned from school, even after the investigation found he had done nothing wrong. Worse still? The student cannot return, assuming he’s allowed to return to school, while he awaits an expulsion hearing.

In response to the recent Florida school shooting boondoggle, it’s understandable that school systems want to ensure any and all threats are taken seriously. But in a case like this, it seems pretty clear there was absolutely no reason to believe this student is a threat to himself or others.

The school board created a new policy to deal with talk of guns and shootings. If a student is even accused of talking about either, they’ll be investigated by the sheriff’s department, the school board, and the DA. Thorough, but leaves the door wide open for weaponization of the policy. Just look at how far fetched this story became.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Qfac

Re: Square Root Symbol is a gun: Shark Jumped?

Post by Qfac »

Well we better cease all history classes as discussions of battles and war will have weapons talk.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

No good deed goes unpunished. Moral: don't help weaker students - they may be stupid.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

This all could have been avoided.

Ban math!
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

This happened in Oberlin LA
Wonder if it has something to do with the name of the town?

Stupidity run amok
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

schmieg wrote:No good deed goes unpunished. Moral: don't help weaker students - they may be stupid.
In my school system, the kids are the ones teaching math at high school level these days. The teacher sits at the desk while the "teams" work on math with the stronger students explaining things. There are team tests and individual tests. This is the fourth year of this stupidity.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

kcclark wrote:
schmieg wrote:No good deed goes unpunished. Moral: don't help weaker students - they may be stupid.
In my school system, the kids are the ones teaching math at high school level these days. The teacher sits at the desk while the "teams" work on math with the stronger students explaining things. There are team tests and individual tests. This is the fourth year of this stupidity.
Probably because the teacher doesn't understand the subject.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

schmieg wrote:
kcclark wrote:
Probably because the teacher doesn't understand the subject.
Nope, this is Differentialized Instruction, the way the STATE is telling teachers to do things. The smarter students are helping the others who aren't completely understanding the subject so both ends of the spectrum get help or learn more about the subject. :roll: I got docked many points on my Observations and Review this year because I didn't do that. I'm sorry, but a good band rehearsal is almost the definition of Differentialized Instruction!

The state will change to a new buzz word shortly and we'll have to be trained a new way of teaching before the tests show how well/poor the last way worked. All to please a few pinheads at the top. :x
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

The mud monster (my Becka) graduated from High School in 2004....

(Probably because her vice-principal's dad was a friend of mine....)

(Don't ask....)

Somehow, she ended up in a course I like to call "Science For Blondes". Major issues like "what hemisphere are we in"....

She ended up teaching a good bit of the course herself. The assigned teacher noticed that she didn't belong there, but they both did well - she got an A, he got some rest :D....

Seriously, the inmates can run the asylum under certain conditions. But it takes a bit of luck and students and teachers capable of dealing with it. It also seems to take a lack of control by idiots who don't get it, or who insist on putting a bit of themselves into it.

In short, it's a crapshoot to get it right.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I love the comment in the link.

The were worried that the student had been "radicalized".

I love a good pun and usually catch on to them quickly but that one took a moment.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/radical Definitions 7b or 12c.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.