Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to act

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to act

Postby M-Quigley » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I apoligize if this is already posted, if it is delete it, I didn't see it. The news about the FL school shooting gets worse every day. :(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby deanimator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 pm

M-Quigley wrote:I apoligize if this is already posted, if it is delete it, I didn't see it. The news about the FL school shooting gets worse every day. :(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html


Remember, you don't need a gun because the police will "protect" you.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7431
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby Face » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm

I wonder if the FOP will make an excuse? In the military wouldn't this be a court martial?

By tomorrow some of the fake media will be calling him an actor and part of the plan.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Face
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby Mr. Glock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

And that Sheriff is a big Anti-. Maybe he should work on training his own LEOs instead of running his mouth about civilians and guns. You know, do his job.

Now that is embarrassing. I've heard police recruiting is slipping, but not doing anything with an active shooter in a school. The Deputy should go to jail for dereliction of duty. I know some Grandmas that would have gone in there with their walkers and a sharp pen.
“Without dignity there is no liberty, without justice there is no dignity, and without independence there are no free men.”
- Patrice Lumumba
OFCC Patron, NRA Benefactor Life, GOA & Hot Stove League Member
User avatar
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby JediSkipdogg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Mr. Glock wrote:And that Sheriff is a big Anti-. Maybe he should work on training his own LEOs instead of running his mouth about civilians and guns. You know, do his job.

Now that is embarrassing. I've heard police recruiting is slipping, but not doing anything with an active shooter in a school. The Deputy should go to jail for dereliction of duty. I know some Grandmas that would have gone in there with their walkers and a sharp pen.


Face wrote:I wonder if the FOP will make an excuse? In the military wouldn't this be a court martial?

By tomorrow some of the fake media will be calling him an actor and part of the plan.



Keep in mind the police have ZERO duty to protect you. Department wise they can discipline the person, but no lawsuit against the officer or department will hold up for failure to act unless it is written in the policy that he was suppose to act. And generally, those policies have something about "if safe to do so" in them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
User avatar
JediSkipdogg
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Batavia

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby deanimator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 pm

He resigned prior to termination for cause.

He will BOTH:

  • be defended by the union.
  • be hired by another department.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7431
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby Mr. Glock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 pm

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:And that Sheriff is a big Anti-. Maybe he should work on training his own LEOs instead of running his mouth about civilians and guns. You know, do his job.

Now that is embarrassing. I've heard police recruiting is slipping, but not doing anything with an active shooter in a school. The Deputy should go to jail for dereliction of duty. I know some Grandmas that would have gone in there with their walkers and a sharp pen.


Face wrote:I wonder if the FOP will make an excuse? In the military wouldn't this be a court martial?

By tomorrow some of the fake media will be calling him an actor and part of the plan.



Keep in mind the police have ZERO duty to protect you. Department wise they can discipline the person, but no lawsuit against the officer or department will hold up for failure to act unless it is written in the policy that he was suppose to act. And generally, those policies have something about "if safe to do so" in them.


You are, of course, correct. Police only have a duty to provide protection in general, not in specific, to paraphrase. Still, we citizens give you a gun and powers of detainment, you should understand those come with responsibilities. Like killing an active shooter in a school.

Just because it is department or union policy, that bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo / artificial construct doesn't make it right out here in the real world.

Wondering legally, since it was a mass shooting, does that qualify as lacking protection of the community? The court case that decided the general vs specific duty to protect was a very specific situation. A mass shooting is an act against a community, however. No idea, I'm not a lawyer. Interesting angle though.

I'd like to think most LEOs would not hesitate to engage an active shooter. This particular deputy, however, needs some schooling out back of the department building, in the old style.
“Without dignity there is no liberty, without justice there is no dignity, and without independence there are no free men.”
- Patrice Lumumba
OFCC Patron, NRA Benefactor Life, GOA & Hot Stove League Member
User avatar
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby SMMAssociates » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 am

Just between us chickens: Remember the Zimmerman case in FL?

I just wonder if the Deputy thought about that. If the shooter was a kid, and the Deputy in turn punched his ticket, he'd be crucified in the press.

If the shooter was a minority kid, the Deputy might have been burned at the stake.... Or worse....

Just wondering.... Remember, this was in Chicago. I knew a Chicago PD Detective who refused to carry his sidearm off duty.

Not exactly my choice - either in jumping into the fray, or getting crucified in the press, but something to think about.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
User avatar
SMMAssociates
 
Posts: 9493
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:36 am
Location: Youngstown OH

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby Brian D. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 am

I also read that this deputy now has a Palm Beach* County Sheriff's protective team around his home while the investigation continues. I suppose parents of at least one of the dead school children would be inclined to look up ex-deputy Peterson otherwise.

*Edited to Palm Beach County, I'd presumed ex-deputy Scot Peterson lived in Broward County, because that's where he was employed.
Last edited by Brian D. on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14753
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby WY_Not » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 am

His face should be made known far and wide. Let him be shunned and ignored far and wide.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2094
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby bignflnut » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 am

deanimator wrote:He resigned prior to termination for cause.

He will BOTH:

  • be defended by the union.
  • be hired by another department.


Speaking at a press conference, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said the on duty officer at Stoneman "never went in." Israel said he was "devastated" after watching the video showing the deputy taking a position outside the Western side of Building 12 while shots rang out, "and he never went in" despite having a clear view of the entrance.

"I think he remained outside upwards of four minutes," Israel said.

The uniformed officer, identified as Scot Peterson, was been suspended without pay pending an investigation, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel - however he has since resigned and retired from the department.

"As is his right, Scot Peterson chose to resign, because he has the necessary time with the agency and meets the requirements of retirement, he resigned and retired."


"We're not going to disclose the video at this time, and we may never disclose the video depending on the prosecution and the criminal case."


A) He's going to see his bennies. He's a mercenary, nothing more.

Peterson, 54, came under scrutiny after 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz entered the school with an AR-15 rifle and killed 14 students and three educators on Valentine’s Day.

Peterson has been a school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. He began working for the sheriff’s office in 1985. His annual salary in 2016 was $75,673.72, according to sheriff’s office records.

The Sheriff’s Office released documents Thursday showing that Peterson was put under an internal investigation the day before. Israel said that Peterson was suspended without pay.


B) That's some salary and such for someone who doesn't engage when needed.

Please, can we accept the concept that retired LEOs or VETs or any State actor will not necessarily protect you from harm? Have you heard about "officer safety" or the prime objective of coming home every night?

So, as the cop, always remember that you chose your career, and your spouse did not choose the career; your spouse chose you. You owe it to them to do everything in your power to ensure you return home safe after every shift. The concepts of Below 100 are familiar to most police officers, but here is a firearms instructor and spouse’s perspective on what these concepts mean to those of us left at home.

Effective law enforcement officers are hunters. You seek out the parts of society that the rest of us try to avoid. What makes a hunter great is a strong prey drive. But it is important to keep a check on that prey drive. It is all too easy to let that primal instinct take over, and in a rush of adrenaline, your better judgement goes out the window. You are not really involved in a game of cat and mouse. Instead, it’s more like catch and release, and no matter how many bad guys you catch, there will always be another. You cannot always expect to get a sense of accomplishment because there is always another bad guy waiting in the wings. You must remember that unstated promise to return home after every shift.


Parkland should be a litany of failures referenced whenever a politician evokes "See Something, Say Something", encourages citizens to snitch each other out, or insists that the State has the power /desire to protect citizens with more heavy handed laws.

All the more reason RKBA is relevant and useful today in securing society.

I appreciate the mother actors whipping up furor, praying to the federal government and POTUS for metal detectors, perhaps she needs to consider who she is praying to.

For her information and the Record, this was how we got Gun Free School Zones:
Introduced in the Senate as S.3266 by Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-DE) on October 27, 1990
Passed the Senate on October 27, 1990 (passed voice vote)
Passed the House of Representatives on October 27, 1990 (313-1, Roll call vote 534, via Clerk.House.gov)
Signed into law by President George H.W. Bush on November 29, 1990


Lest we excuse the GOP in our condemnation of this injustice.

Somehow this is all the NRA's fault.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 6324
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm
Location: Where Black Sheep and Black Swamps meet

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby Brian D. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

I was also an emergency responder (fire/EMS, as most here know already, sorry) and can't quite find the words to describe how much this apparent failure by Peterson sickens and outrages me. I can imagine that our LE members on this forum who can, and have, run TOWARDS the danger, are even more upset.

That stated, I'd ask that this thread doesn't turn into a bashing of the emergency response professions. Okay?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14753
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby M-Quigley » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am

SMMAssociates wrote:Just between us chickens: Remember the Zimmerman case in FL?

I just wonder if the Deputy thought about that. If the shooter was a kid, and the Deputy in turn punched his ticket, he'd be crucified in the press.

If the shooter was a minority kid, the Deputy might have been burned at the stake.... Or worse....

Just wondering.... Remember, this was in Chicago. I knew a Chicago PD Detective who refused to carry his sidearm off duty.

Not exactly my choice - either in jumping into the fray, or getting crucified in the press, but something to think about.

Regards,


Regarding the bolded, if it was merely a report of an armed person without any evidence that a shooting occurred, and he shot the (unarmed) suspect simply because of a report, then yes, he would be critisized. In this case the suspect was armed and shooting at people. Although there would be a few that would be critical no matter what the situation, I don't think most normal people would complain about the LEO shooting the suspect in that kind of situation. If a suspect like that is a minority and a group like BLM is critical of stopping the shooter, it would just make BLM look unreasonable in the eyes of the average person, black white whatever.

I think the deputy failed to go in simply because he was scared. It's not the first time an LEO got too scared to act, and it won't be the last. Back in the eighties, I had to assist a Dayton Oh cop in an arrest because the just out of the academy rookie cop he was assigned with froze up when confronted with a real suspect effectively resisting arrest. The cop was yelling at the rookie and he just stood there, and this wasn't even a shooting situation. After the suspect was cuffed I almost wondered if someone was going to have to protect the rookie from his training officer, because he was super PO'd at him.

I used to be assigned to a HS once as outdoor security, come inside as needed or called for. Back then it wasn't a fear of a mass shooter, but kids sneaking out without a pass, or breaking into or vandalizing cars in the lot. I was however armed and had police powers on school grounds. On the one hand, I understand all the legitimate various technical reasons in the Florida situation why that particular deputy failed to act in that particular situation, but not excusing it either. Despite the potential risk, if I had been in the Florida situation I doubt I could've lived with myself anyway if I could've tried something to stop it and failed to act. :(

Like Brian said, I hope that the thread doesn't turn into a general LEO bashing, because I don't think this guy is typical of most LEO's I know at all.
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby High Power » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 pm

deanimator wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:I apoligize if this is already posted, if it is delete it, I didn't see it. The news about the FL school shooting gets worse every day. :(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html


Remember, you don't need a gun because the police will "protect" you.


Bingo!

I don't want to criticize the Deputy and make any assumptions about why he didn't react. He could be a coward or he was following department SOP.

If you remember the scene in the movie "Patton," you will recall the soldier slapping incident. The real story about that soldier was that he wasn't a coward. He was ordered to report to the hospital tent for battle fatigue. He told his Battery Commander, "F*** you and your order. I want to stay here and kill as many Germans as possible."

His Battery Commander had two big soldiers drag him to the hospital tent. The movie didn't show what happened before the slapping incident and in everyone's minds, that soldier was branded a coward.

And like the soldier portrayed in the movie, we don't know the complete story in this deputy. If he was following department SOP by waiting for back-up then there is a bigger problem besides any alleged cowardice.

The point that everyone is missing in the story of this deputy is that a cop cannot be counted on to always protect you even when they are SECONDS away. We shouldn't waste time criticizing the deputy but rather continue to point out that arming a potential victim has a better potential of preventing/stopping a mass killing.

Arming a potential victim is better than trying to fit a cop in a holster.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
User avatar
High Power
 
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Deputy at Parkland Fl school was in position failed to a

Postby carmen fovozzo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm

SMMAssociates wrote:Just between us chickens: Remember the Zimmerman case in FL?

I just wonder if the Deputy thought about that. If the shooter was a kid, and the Deputy in turn punched his ticket, he'd be crucified in the press.

If the shooter was a minority kid, the Deputy might have been burned at the stake.... Or worse....

Just wondering.... Remember, this was in Chicago. I knew a Chicago PD Detective who refused to carry his sidearm off duty.

Not exactly my choice - either in jumping into the fray, or getting crucified in the press, but something to think about.

Regards,


That is one of the dumbest things I have heard you say...other then that your a great guy. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 18298
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: NEO

Next

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests