Using VETs to guard schools

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Using VETs to guard schools

Post by charliej47 »

I am a VET (notice the caps). I asked my fellow VETs in an online forum if asked would they step up to guard. So far, I have received almost a thousand positive responses from across the nation. We only ask for the same protections that LEOs have. I would say "only allow those that have a CCW where required" to be chosen. Keep the guard duty simple and short. Establish simple ROEs. Have backups (LEOs) available oncall

None of us even asked to be paid, but stated "The check can be cashed if needed!"
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Using VETs to guard schools

Post by bignflnut »

Thank you for your service, sir, and your servant's heart. I respect the fact that you want to contribute to the solution, and are willing to part with your time to protect innocent people.

Respectfully, I disagree with the "ask for the same protections that LEOs have" part of your equation.

LEOs and VETs did not fail in Parkland or any of the other shootings. True, they could help, but they are not the solution to the issue at hand. America was founded on the idea that there would be an armed and morally upright populace. To that end, we should advocate that citizens who desire to carry weapons for self-defense and the defense of the innocent are able to do so, not with special privileges given by government, but Rights granted by way of our Creator, evident in our humanity.

Let's not insist on differing classes of citizens who are allowed to defend themselves in certain buildings, while others would be deemed felons. Let's further distance ourselves from the concept that government approved training/licensing is required to exercise our Rights. Neither separate classes nor government training reflect America's Founding vision or the various Constitutions VETs and LEOs swear to uphold.

A simple change of signage from "gun free" to "gun welcoming" and a few press releases from local school boards announcing available training for adults who desire to protect the innocent would go a long way in deterrence.

Over and above the Gun Free Zone issue, America's families need to be strengthened. Fathers need to be with their children and grandchildren, teaching them the value of life.

Thank you again for being willing to serve your community and your family.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Well said^^ Expounding on your sig line....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
High Power

Post by High Power »

I'm also a VET. Although your idea has good intentions I disagree with only permitting veterans the lofty honor of safeguarding the children.

I have met a lot of highly intelligent, very perceptive civilians who can think fast and make rational decisions under pressure. It's a mistake to think that ONLY veterans are capable of standing guard and able to think on their feet under pressure.

It's true that we veterans have had a lot of training compared to some civilians. However, I've met a lot of civilians who relish training with firearms and love to shoot that lay out a lot of cash to go to places like Thunder Ranch and Gun Site.

If I were involved in a fire-fight there are some good civilian friends of mine that I would rather have by my side over some veterans that I have served with. I'm not saying that those veterans aren't any good; it's just that I would trust my friends more because I know them better.

The best approach to school safety is letting teachers carry their sidearms to school. Not only that, if I go to the school, I ought to be able to carry my sidearm as well.

The most important reason we shouldn't adopt a VETs only policy is because we exclude talented citizens that can help. Adopting a veterans only policy feeds the false idea that only the police and military should have guns.

Don't forget that it was mostly civilians who gave the British a licking at Lexington and Concord.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

High Power wrote:I'm also a VET. Although your idea has good intentions I disagree with only permitting veterans the lofty honor of safeguarding the children.

I have met a lot of highly intelligent, very perceptive civilians who can think fast and make rational decisions under pressure. It's a mistake to think that ONLY veterans are capable of standing guard and able to think on their feet under pressure.

It's true that we veterans have had a lot of training compared to some civilians. However, I've met a lot of civilians who relish training with firearms and love to shoot that lay out a lot of cash to go to places like Thunder Ranch and Gun Site.

If I were involved in a fire-fight there are some good civilian friends of mine that I would rather have by my side over some veterans that I have served with. I'm not saying that those veterans aren't any good; it's just that I would trust my friends more because I know them better.

The best approach to school safety is letting teachers carry their sidearms to school. Not only that, if I go to the school, I ought to be able to carry my sidearm as well.

The most important reason we shouldn't adopt a VETs only policy is because we exclude talented citizens that can help. Adopting a veterans only policy feeds the false idea that only the police and military should have guns.

Don't forget that it was mostly civilians who gave the British a licking at Lexington and Concord.
Nail on the head, not a fan, coming from another VET.

Not to mention this thing called life - with work, school, a home, a marriage, and eventually kids, where do you think the time during the day will magically appear to leave work for the duration of a schoolday to do overwatch duty of some worth?
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

jeep45238 wrote:Nail on the head, not a fan, coming from another VET.

Not to mention this thing called life - with work, school, a home, a marriage, and eventually kids, where do you think the time during the day will magically appear to leave work for the duration of a schoolday to do overwatch duty of some worth?
I totally agree.

And Vets say they would do it for free, but I doubt most would. What Vet is going to willingly sit at a school for 180 days unpaid? I think they would want some compensation and who is going to pay that? If you say it would be a team, how large of a team? 20 with rotating 4 people on at a time? That starts to get hard to know everything in the school. So as others have said, arm the teachers. They are free to arm for those that would like to, or at minimum paying for their training to do so. There are also a lot more teachers and keeping the armed ones a secret gives the element of surprise.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.