OpticsPlanet Stops Selling High Cap Mag's

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

OpticsPlanet Stops Selling High Cap Mag's

Post by troy bilt »

According to a story over at TTAG OpticsPlanet has a new policy to no longer sell magazines of more than 10 rounds to the general public.

They will never get a dime from me after this one.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... magazines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your time.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: OpticsPlanet Stops Selling High Cap Mag's

Post by Javelin Man »

Since most double stack pistols hold more than 10 rounds, they'll be losing a lot of business just because of that.

And their reputation as selling out to the anti's will finish them off and good riddance.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Bruenor

Re: OpticsPlanet Stops Selling Standard Cap Mag's

Post by Bruenor »

Thread title should read "OpticsPlanet Stops Selling Standard Cap Magazines"

a 30 round magazine is standard for an AR15, a 17 round magazine is standard for a Glock in 9mm, a 20 round magazine is standard for an AR10, etc, etc..

Just sent them a polite message through their contact page, letting them know I am disappointed in their decision, and I will no longer be purchasing from them or referring people to their site. If we don't tell them how will they know ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I buy enough from them that they sent me a free jacket and a VIP code at the end of last year. Not happy.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

they alledgedly posted up a response somewhere (facepage?) where its a local law in their county or town behind it, and apologies for not explaining it better. They even said buy your mags from X Y & Z

I don't know just heard it thru the grape arbor...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Would have to call them on that then since they are in Northbrook IL.
WhyNot wrote:they alledgedly posted up a response somewhere (facepage?) where its a local law in their county or town behind it, and apologies for not explaining it better. They even said buy your mags from X Y & Z

430 ILCS 66/90. Preemption.
The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

Note: All local restrictions on Handguns are null and void. Local Governments can keep their restrictions on long guns and magazine bans for long guns.
Local Restrictions on Magazines:
Aurora
§ 29-49 (f)(2) bans the possession, sale, or acquisition of large capacity feeding devices (magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds).
Chicago
8-20-010 Definitions - Previous ordinances on the restrictions have been deleted and this sections has all the restrictions for handguns and long guns in Chicago. The new preemption law voids all handgun restrictions in Illinois.
Franklin Park
§ 3-13G-3 bans the transfer, acquisition, possession, manufacture or distribution of assault ammunition (any detachable ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 16 rounds).
Oak Park
§ 27-1-1, § 27-1-2 and § 27-2-1 bans the possession and sale of large capacity feeding devices (magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds).
Riverdale
§ 9.05.010, § 9.05.020 and § 9.05.030 bans the possession, transfer, acquisition or manufacture of assault ammunition (a detachable magazine box with a capacity of “more than 35 rounds centerfire.”).
Note: The above restrictions would only apply to Long Guns. The State has preempted all local handgun laws.
And if you don't like the response from handgunlaw.us then how about from giffords..

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/large-cap ... -illinois/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines in Illinois
Last updated November 15, 2017.
Illinois has no law restricting large capacity magazines.
When I looked last night I couldn't find any handgun magazines that held more than 10 rounds on their site, so not buying that as the reason...
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

WhyNot wrote:they alledgedly posted up a response somewhere (facepage?) where its a local law in their county or town behind it, and apologies for not explaining it better. They even said buy your mags from X Y & Z

https://www.facebook.com/opticsplanet/p ... 22R9%22%7D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Direct link to their FB post.

Here's what it is, in case the link does not pull it up correctly. Copy-Pasted verbatim:
Optics Planet via FaceBook wrote: We fully understand how the email featured in the article on The Truth About Guns suggests that we may have made a decision to limit the sales of magazines over 10 rounds due to the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. Before we go any further, we want to make it clear that our condolences go to the families of all of the victims, and that our hearts go out to a community trying to recover after a senseless event.

At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products such as bump stocks or binary triggers, when many did. We do not raise prices during frenzies. We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required.

In this case, insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity. We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it.

We own up to the fact that we did not explain this well internally, which led to an unclear message given to the customer, but we can completely repudiate any notion that this is a reaction to any recent event or the political climate. Unfortunately, our loyal customer base is best served by purchasing their magazines from retailers in "free" states. This issue is currently out of our hands. We’re committed to working hard to retain your business for everything else you need.

It's unfortunate that this issue has created so much confusion, and we apologize for not providing clearer messaging in the first place. We continue to support our passionate customer community as we have for the past eighteen years in every way we can.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Is this a fair summary?...

"So... it's been brought to our attention that we can no longer sell these products because of where we're located and the laws of that jurisdiction. The heavy hand of government is infringing on the business we've built over the decades...

We are actively considering relocation to a jurisdiction with greater Freedom and Liberty for our clients."??

Sounds like they're botching the response a bit, also...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

When did this local law get passed? My understanding is that they’ve been selling standard capacity for years, and if this is anything beyond brand new, they’ve been selling illegally for years - nullifying their statement in a heartbeat.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

jeep45238 wrote:When did this local law get passed? ...they’ve been selling illegally for years - nullifying their statement in a heartbeat.
Well, I'm sure it just took one recent letter from the state AG's office to make them consider losing everything.

How much of their business is magazines? 5%?

From a company standpoint, I understand the capitulation, and how many on this forum would consider any other much-more-expensive route? (not to agree with it) From a PR standpoint, when we see the tactics which lead to Obergafell being applied to gun control, it's a disaster that will cost them much more than their estimated loss.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

As I posted earlier state preemption overrides local laws on handguns, so no mag restrictions on those..

I searched all through the Codified ordinances for the location of their address and all i could find was that a license is required to sell class II and Class III firearms.. those classes are also defined within the code. so unless they just passed something new and didn't enter it into the online codified ordinances... but i am not seeing it.

maybe someone can get them to specify what ordinance it is that they are supposedly responding to.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson