Ohio Supreme Court declines CLE's gun law appeal

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Ohio Supreme Court declines CLE's gun law appeal

Post by rickt »

The Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to take up Cleveland's appeal of a decision that struck down a gun offender registry and several gun ordinances approved in 2015.

The decision lets stand an April 2017 ruling by the Ohio 8th District Court of Appeals. That ruling held as invalid a package of ordinances proposed by Mayor Frank Jackson and passed by City Council in the wake of a flurry of gun violence in 2014 and 2015.
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ain_1.html
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio Supreme Court declines CLE's gun law appeal

Post by qmti »

rickt wrote:
The Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to take up Cleveland's appeal of a decision that struck down a gun offender registry and several gun ordinances approved in 2015.

The decision lets stand an April 2017 ruling by the Ohio 8th District Court of Appeals. That ruling held as invalid a package of ordinances proposed by Mayor Frank Jackson and passed by City Council in the wake of a flurry of gun violence in 2014 and 2015.
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ain_1.html
Excellent and proper outcome.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So what? No punitive measures in there, means nothing to prevent Mayor Jackson and crew from trotting out this same song and dance again and again
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Brian D. wrote:So what? No punitive measures in there, means nothing to prevent Mayor Jackson and crew from trotting out this same song and dance again and again
The Plain Squealer needs to have an Op-Ed decrying the amount of money the city wasted in defending something they knew was going to court immediately upon implementation and was going to lose.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:
Brian D. wrote:So what? No punitive measures in there, means nothing to prevent Mayor Jackson and crew from trotting out this same song and dance again and again
The Plain Squealer needs to have an Op-Ed decrying the amount of money the city wasted in defending something they knew was going to court immediately upon implementation and was going to lose.
I agree, but unless they hired "outside" lawyers, Cleveland would just claim 'Hey, that's just part of our legal staff's job.'
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

What is Mayor Jackson gonna say now ?
http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/ ... r_home_pop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JimE wrote:What is Mayor Jackson gonna say now ?
When he can be located for comment the response from Frank Jackson on a lot of urban issues to the folks in the suburbs who pay is salary has always been "You don't understand the culture."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Frank's upset that his nephew got 8 years on a federal gun charge.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

pirateguy191 wrote:Frank's upset that his nephew got 8 years on a federal gun charge.
It's unfortunate when gun laws work. I believe his grandson is somewhere in the docket for other weapons related charges so as they say "more to come on that."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Baby boy won't do hard time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:
JimE wrote:What is Mayor Jackson gonna say now ?
When he can be located for comment the response from Frank Jackson on a lot of urban issues to the folks in the suburbs who pay is salary has always been "You don't understand the culture."
I was raised in the culture and I don't understand it.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

on the bright side maybe mayor Jackson will drop the multi million dollar dirt bike park he was going to build for his nephew... I mean for the city.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Wish those of us living in Cleveland could file a class action suit against Jackson and the city council. They were advised this would happen, admitted it wouldn't accomplish anything, and still voted for it. Waste of taxpayers money.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

so did the city at least have to pay OFCC's legal bill for this one ? (or the trial that wrapped up last April ?)
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Bruenor wrote:so did the city at least have to pay OFCC's legal bill for this one ? (or the trial that wrapped up last April ?)
We're hoping that will happen next, and none too soon, I might add.
We have a pile of money wrapped up in this
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)