U.D. police conducting random body cam reviews

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

U.D. police conducting random body cam reviews

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/conducting-ran ... gqQMwvCjM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saying he wants to bolster his department’s oversight and transparency, the University of Dayton’s police chief has begun randomly reviewing footage from body cameras worn by UD police officers.

Police Chief Rodney Chatman announced the policy this week, saying his supervisors have been reviewing footage from at least 10 body cameras per week.

Previously, the department conducted reviews only after incidents made such reviews necessary.
JediSkipdogg

Re: U.D. police conducting random body cam reviews

Post by JediSkipdogg »

It won't last. For decades departments have been trying to do that with cruiser cams and the fade dies fast. It's also very time consuming when you are paying someone $40 an hour to do nothing but watch video when they could be out patrolling or responding to calls for service.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:It won't last. For decades departments have been trying to do that with cruiser cams and the fade dies fast. It's also very time consuming when you are paying someone $40 an hour to do nothing but watch video when they could be out patrolling or responding to calls for service.
The other day I was talking with someone who works at a different University, and this story came up. I mentioned the general part of what you said about the supervisors getting paid $40 an hr to watch video when they could be out patrolling or responding to calls. He mentioned a solution that I had not considered, although I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. He said,
"$40 an hour? I bet black lives matter would agree to do it for free." :roll:
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:It won't last. For decades departments have been trying to do that with cruiser cams and the fade dies fast. It's also very time consuming when you are paying someone $40 an hour to do nothing but watch video when they could be out patrolling or responding to calls for service.
It is, in reality, an extremely time-consuming process.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz wrote:
What I find interesting is the prosecutor's offices are jumping on the video bandwagon. If you have video for any arrest, they want it. And yes, someone sits there and watches it at real time. One OVI for us is about 2-4 hours of video from cruiser cam and station video. I can't fathom if we added body cams to that. Sure the video would overlap, but it's another perspective.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Werz wrote:
What I find interesting is the prosecutor's offices are jumping on the video bandwagon. If you have video for any arrest, they want it. And yes, someone sits there and watches it at real time. One OVI for us is about 2-4 hours of video from cruiser cam and station video. I can't fathom if we added body cams to that. Sure the video would overlap, but it's another perspective.
Body cam videos from most of our law enforcement agencies are uploaded to Evidence.com. We have to retrieve it. Sometimes, dozens of videos.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz wrote:Body cam videos from most of our law enforcement agencies are uploaded to Evidence.com. We have to retrieve it. Sometimes, dozens of videos.
We keep looking at going that route, but $$$. They also do interview rooms camera systems that upload to Evidence.com and I think even a cruiser cam system. We are waiting till body cams are forced on us and then we will probably switch everything over and go the expensive evidence.com route.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Back in the day if LE had body cam technology, it would've been a double edged sword. It might be great for protecting good cops from false accusations, but it might've had the effect of causing witnesses to crimes to not give information. Some witnesses when interviewed barely talked to LE at all, but having a body cam on would've stopped what few witnesses that would've been willing to provide information at the scene of an investigation.