Police Kill Innocent Man / Swatting Incident

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Police Kill Innocent Man / Swatting Incident

Post by catfish86 »

This kind of police shooting angers me to no end. I get that police work is dangerous and the nature of the call received. However, making a move to a wasteband is not just cause to shoot. While they are required to make snap judgments, they are RESPONSIBLE for the decisions they make. As pointed out earlier, all the officers had cover and were in position for a confrontation. Of course nothing will happen to the cop. The SWATTER has a history of doing it and needs to be put in prison for life for felony murder. Commission of a felony resulting in death. If SWATTING is not a felony it should be if for no other reason than to make it murder if the target is killed.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:This kind of police shooting angers me to no end. I get that police work is dangerous and the nature of the call received. However, making a move to a wasteband is not just cause to shoot. While they are required to make snap judgments, they are RESPONSIBLE for the decisions they make.
The attempts by the LAPD and Torrance PD to slaughter Emma Hernandez, Margie Carranza and David Perdue clearly indicate otherwise.

The cops who wounded Hernandez and Carranza and injured Perdue in a vehicle ramming attack weren't held "responsible" in ANY way.

I've had quite a few death threats from neo-Nazis.

I don't have the SLIGHTEST doubt as to what would happen to ME if I were to "accidentally" shoot a cop because I was "afraid"... despite known links between LEOs and the neo-Nazi National Alliance.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

catfish86 wrote:This kind of police shooting angers me to no end. I get that police work is dangerous and the nature of the call received. However, making a move to a wasteband is not just cause to shoot. While they are required to make snap judgments, they are RESPONSIBLE for the decisions they make. As pointed out earlier, all the officers had cover and were in position for a confrontation. Of course nothing will happen to the cop. The SWATTER has a history of doing it and needs to be put in prison for life for felony murder. Commission of a felony resulting in death. If SWATTING is not a felony it should be if for no other reason than to make it murder if the target is killed.
The problem is that, in most jurisdictions, swatting amounts to calling in a false report and is generally a misdemeanor, thus the felony murder doesn't apply.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

schmieg wrote:The problem is that, in most jurisdictions, swatting amounts to calling in a false report and is generally a misdemeanor, thus the felony murder doesn't apply.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true.

Back in the '80s, a guy was merely IN a drug house in Chicago to buy some marijuana.

While he was there, the cops raided the house.

During the raid, one cop accidentally shot and killed another.

He took no part in any of the activities other than being present to buy drugs.

The guy was charged with, indicted for, convicted of, and sentenced to DEATH for felony murder.

It's one of the things which caused Illinois to end the death penalty.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

deanimator wrote:
schmieg wrote:The problem is that, in most jurisdictions, swatting amounts to calling in a false report and is generally a misdemeanor, thus the felony murder doesn't apply.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true.

Back in the '80s, a guy was merely IN a drug house in Chicago to buy some marijuana.

While he was there, the cops raided the house.

During the raid, one cop accidentally shot and killed another.

He took no part in any of the activities other than being present to buy drugs.

The guy was charged with, indicted for, convicted of, and sentenced to DEATH for felony murder.

It's one of the things which caused Illinois to end the death penalty.
Back in the 80's, buying marijuana might have been a felony, at least if you bought enough and the prosecutor just has to convince the jury the guy was going to buy enough.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

schmieg wrote:Back in the 80's, buying marijuana might have been a felony, at least if you bought enough and the prosecutor just has to convince the jury the guy was going to buy enough.
Earlier, I was looking for details of the case, but couldn't find it.

As I recall, he was buying his girlfriend some weed for her birthday(?), so I don't think it was all that much. I don't remember the prosecution saying anything to the contrary.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

deanimator wrote:
schmieg wrote:Back in the 80's, buying marijuana might have been a felony, at least if you bought enough and the prosecutor just has to convince the jury the guy was going to buy enough.

As I recall, he was buying his girlfriend some weed for her birthday(?), so I don't think it was all that much. I don't remember the prosecution saying anything to the contrary.

Wow, those are some harsh sentencing guidelines. Didn’t know that Felony Murder met the standard for a capital offense. I’d love to see some info on that case. Not saying that it didn’t happen, and don’t take it personally, but it sounds like more of a myth than fact.

Edit to add: I did a little research (https://www.criminallawyer-chicago.com/ ... -illinois/)and found that when the deceased was a police officer, it elevated the charge to a capital level offense.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

TJW815 wrote:
deanimator wrote:

Wow, those are some harsh sentencing guidelines. Didn’t know that Felony Murder met the standard for a capital offense. I’d love to see some info on that case. Not saying that it didn’t happen, and don’t take it personally, but it sounds like more of a myth than fact.

Edit to add: I did a little research (https://www.criminallawyer-chicago.com/ ... -illinois/)and found that when the deceased was a police officer, it elevated the charge to a capital level offense.
Just remember, it's Chicago where nothing is too stupid or too cruel for "government" to do.

I'm still looking, but was inundated with a mountain of OTHER corruption scandals, some about which I knew nothing.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:This kind of police shooting angers me to no end. I get that police work is dangerous and the nature of the call received. However, making a move to a wasteband is not just cause to shoot.

Did the guy even make a move to his waist? I've been looking at the video and the blown up frames, and I can't tell one way or the other. It looks like there's some kind of movement from the guy, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what. Is anyone else backing up that story about reaching for the waist area? Any mention anywhere of what the distance was between the LEO and the guy? The video makes it look a large distance, but that is possibly not an accurate perspective.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:The video makes it look a large distance, but that is possibly not an accurate perspective.
There's also nothing saying the video they have released is from the one that made the shot. They supposedly had the house surrounded (that could be 3 officers or 10.) Therefore it's really unknown what distance and what angle the officer that fired the shot had.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:The video makes it look a large distance, but that is possibly not an accurate perspective.
There's also nothing saying the video they have released is from the one that made the shot. They supposedly had the house surrounded (that could be 3 officers or 10.) Therefore it's really unknown what distance and what angle the officer that fired the shot had.
If you mean unknown as in based on what the PD has released so far, I would agree. I remain hopeful that more information will come out eventually that might clarify the situation.

As far as the issue of swatting in general, I have a concern that it will probably continue to be an issue, and perhaps even increase in the future.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Finch’s mother, Lisa Finch, wrote a letter Tuesday to Mayor Jeff Longwell, police Chief Gordon Ramsay and other city officials saying an unannounced visit from the police chief three days after the shooting did not ease her heart and left questions unanswered.

“It goes without saying that our family is devastated by what has happened,” she wrote. “What cannot go without saying is why Wichita City leadership is compounding our grief and sorrow, by keeping my son from us? Please let me see my son’s lifeless body. I want to hold him and say goodbye. Please immediately return his body to us.”

Her letter also posed numerous questions, including asking when officials will return the front door, a computer, two cellphones, a video game and other items that were seized from the family’s home. The family also wants information on the protocol and training for officers as it relates to “swatting” calls.

Chicago civil rights attorney Andrew M. Stroth, who is representing the family, told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday that what the “swatters” did was inappropriate and tragic. However, he said, the family wants Wichita and its police to be held accountable.

“Justice for the Finch family constitutes criminal charges against the shooting officer and any other liable officers as well as damages against the city of Wichita for the policies and practices of its Police Department,” Stroth said.

But criminologist B. Remy Cross at Webster University in Missouri said criminal charges are highly unlikely.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Everyone is well aware that I typically side with the LEO initially in most cases. This is NOT on of those cases. Seems the LEO was a bit too quick on the trigger.

I don’t think I would support a murder charge, but would stand behind an indictment for manslaughter of some sort.

I think the person that called in the “swatting” should face a bunch of charges. Murder, abuse of 911, inducing panic, etc...

Deanimator, I agree with you entirely on this one...
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TJW815 wrote:Everyone is well aware that I typically side with the LEO initially in most cases. This is NOT on of those cases. Seems the LEO was a bit too quick on the trigger.

I don’t think I would support a murder charge, but would stand behind an indictment for manslaughter of some sort.

I think the person that called in the “swatting” should face a bunch of charges. Murder, abuse of 911, inducing panic, etc...

Deanimator, I agree with you entirely on this one...
I, too, agree with him. The question is whether the law allows for significant charges against the swatter. It does appear that the officer jumped the gun and should face charges.

I think that legislatures should be considering making "swatting" a specific criminal offense as it goes well beyond filing a false report.
-- Mike

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

schmieg wrote:I think that legislatures should be considering making "swatting" a specific criminal offense as it goes well beyond filing a false report.
Ohio kind of has. Inducing Panic and making false reports have different degrees based on the circumstances, but unfortunately short of claiming there's a WMD involved the tiers are almost entirely financial. Now, if the SWAT team shows up and shoots someone it's likely that there is at least $150,000 in economic harm, which is the highest tier at an F3.

It would seem to me to be relatively simple to say that if the reporter conceals or attempts to conceal his or her identity and the report is intended to or is reasonably likely to generate a high risk response from law enforcement personnel then it's an F2, and if during the response any person suffers serious physical harm then it's an F1. Then classify such violations as offenses of violence so the conduct also constitutes murder if it results in someone's death by a third party (that rule only kicks in if it's an F1 or an F2).
Last edited by djthomas on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.