Former jail Sgt. alleges coverup in pepper spray incident

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Former jail Sgt. alleges coverup in pepper spray incident

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/c ... ya1cMC5WI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In exclusive interview, Eric Banks says incident came to light only after he downloaded video from jail camera.
A retired Montgomery County jail sergeant has revealed for the first time how video of a restrained inmate being pepper-sprayed in the jail was obtained by a local attorney, who posted it online and brought national attention to the incident.

In an exclusive interview with the Dayton Daily News, Eric Banks said he and a fellow sergeant, Ransley Creech, brought the video to attorney Doug Brannon and also called the FBI. He said they did so because they feared the sheriff’s command staff was trying to cover up the pepper-spraying of a bound inmate, Amber Swink, by then-Sgt. Judith Sealey on Nov. 15, 2015.
“The sheriff’s office is mad that a couple people crossed that coveted blue line and told the truth about what happened,” Banks said.
http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/mon ... wlGSkjuYO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Former jail Sgt. alleges coverup in pepper spray inciden

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I love this kind of stuff..honest cops stick it to Command..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

If it were the military, they would recall him to active duty and court martial him.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: Jail captain takes medical retirement, misdeanor charge still pending (at this moment)

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/jai ... rFmTiNMXN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Capt. Judith Sealey’s pepper-spraying of harnessed inmate Amber Swink on Nov. 15, 2015, spurred a grand jury investigation, a misdemeanor assault charge, a lawsuit settled for $375,000 and a federal investigation.
In early 2016, Sealey was promoted from sergeant to captain and received a raise from nearly $77,000 to more than $89,000 per year.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This might deserve its own thread, and I don't have a link, but the Franklin County jail is currently under scrutiny for their frequent (?) use of tasers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:This might deserve its own thread, and I don't have a link, but the Franklin County jail is currently under scrutiny for their frequent (?) use of tasers.
I don't think the Captain would consider cancelling her retirement and going to work there, unless she can taze them while they are restrained in a chair. :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The Franklin County story just seemed like something you'd like to delve into, M-Q.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:The Franklin County story just seemed like something you'd like to delve into, M-Q.
It's definitely interesting, but the United Nations is already looking into it. :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1E12GR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the record, I have nothing against the appropriate use of either pepper spray or tasers by law enforcement.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE TO STORY: One of the two deputies who released the video of the deputy pepper spraying a detainee restrained in a chair has been fired. Prior to the release of the video, the only action related to the deputy who did the pepper spraying was that she was promoted, for which she was (eventually) charged with misdeanor assault. The defense of this might be interesting to hear if it ever goes to trial.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/she ... IpK5v2T6J/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I got fired for doing exactly what I was sworn to do,” Creech told this news organization. “Protect victims, report a crime and preserve evidence, just as I stated in my internal review.”

Fellow former sheriff’s office sergeant Eric Banks told the Dayton Daily News in December that he and Creech called the FBI and turned video of the pepper-spraying over to a local attorney because they feared the sheriff’s office was trying to cover-up the incident.

Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer was contacted for comment. This story will be updated once that information is received.