loaded gun found in Dayton airport rental car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

loaded gun found in Dayton airport rental car

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/loa ... DdL6nRrUM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link was in the WHIO crime section. Can anyone point out to me the crime that was allegedly committed, if the renter or someone else that had been in the car had a CHL? (article doesn't say) Is the entire parking area of the airport a no guns zone?
A rental car agent told Dayton police a loaded pistol was found in a returned car Tuesday morning.

Dayton police secured the firearm found at the National Car Rental at the James M. Cox Dayton International Airport and placed it in an airport evidence locker, according to a police report.

Five rounds were found inside the Derringer .22-caliber pistol, according to the report.

The vehicle’s last renter — whose residence on the report is listed as a Salt Lake City address — had the car for two days and returned it Tuesday just after 8 a.m., according to the report.

The incident was reported to police just after 10 a.m., according to the report. Attempts by police to reach the man by two telephone numbers were unsuccessful.
Brian D.

Re: loaded gun found in Dayton airport rental car

Post by Brian D. »

No, I don't believe an airport car rental pick up/drop off area would be a statutory No Guns zone.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

My guess in order to retrieve it he would probably have to pick it up person, and that would cost him more than the price of the mini revolver.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote: This link was in the WHIO crime section. Can anyone point out to me the crime that was allegedly committed, if the renter or someone else that had been in the car had a CHL? (article doesn't say) Is the entire parking area of the airport a no guns zone?
The article doesn't say that a law was broken, but given the circumstances it's reasonable to investigate.

Having a loaded gun in a car is against the law, unless one of a few exceptions (ex:CHL) applies, and without evidence it belongs to a licensee then a law was broken.

If the person from Salt Lake was a licensee, then how'd they get the gun? If they bought it locally, then as a non-resident that's against the law. If they brought it with them then did they follow proper procedures? Seems unlikely they'd go through the extra security involved in legally transporting a gun on a plane to get here, then completely forget the gun on the way back.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

There is another possibility as well, although I don't know if it applies to National car rental or not. The last couple of times I rented a car from a company at the Dayton airport, I found stuff left in the car from a previous renter. I don't mean trash, I mean important stuff, like prescription medication and a checkbook.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Another possibility is that it was a passenger who left the gun in the vehicle, not the person who rented the car.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!